MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > Motorcycle Racing Forum > World Superbike

World Superbike World Superbike Forum - WSBK Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree18Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
April 16th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Jumkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Your Mom's House

Posts: 24,192
Likes: 3381

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSLotus View Post

Nicky finally gets that podium...I get the feeling Nicky is just riding to position at every race. He's not going to chance anything at all.
At this point, that's the smartest thing to do. How stupid would he have looked if he crashed out of a podium position?

He's got to learn these tires, the rider's propensities, and race management. He's not in contention, unlike the other leading pack.

There were some good signs. He was able to stick to the back of the lead pack for several laps. For the 4th round, that's not too bad.
Jumkie is offline  
 
April 16th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
JPSLotus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Knebworth 1979

Posts: 4,715
Likes: 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumkie View Post
At this point, that's the smartest thing to do. How stupid would he have looked if he crashed out of a podium position?

He's got to learn these tires, the rider's propensities, and race management. He's not in contention, unlike the other leading pack.

There were some good signs. He was able to stick to the back of the lead pack for several laps. For the 4th round, that's not too bad.
I don't see him doing anything other than riding to position the entire season and taking little to no risk. It's his MO.
Mr. Shupe likes this.
JPSLotus is offline  
April 16th, 2016, 05:08 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Jumkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Your Mom's House

Posts: 24,192
Likes: 3381

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSLotus View Post
I don't see him doing anything other than riding to position the entire season and taking little to no risk. It's his MO.
And that is the reasonable thing to do. Nicky has always been a sensible rider, unwilling to put fellow competitors at risk. And that is one reason Hayden appeals to me. Even the only time he was on a contending machine, he rode sensible, and won the title, in a year that the parity amongst the grid has never been matched since (unlike now in either GP or Wsbk). I say it's his philosophy of racing contrasted to the culture borne from lower category GP or WSS where torpedoes are generally accepted as part of racecraft.

Besides the element of being new to a series is one thing but also those that are competing are still trying to make a name for themselves. There is a motivation to take higher risk. VDM just crashed out of his 'home' race overriding the 3rd or 4th best bike, sensible? Sykes just crashed out of the championship, which was abundantly obvious he was desperate to wrestle back from his teammate and now he just threw that away 'by taking high risk', that's a huge penalty, sensible? Chaz has crashed out often as well, and I've said as much in previous Wsbk threads. Lets face it, the title was always going to come out of the Kawasaki garage this year. I suppose Nicky could thrilled us riding like Davide Guiliano.
Jumkie is offline  
April 16th, 2016, 06:09 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
JPSLotus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Knebworth 1979

Posts: 4,715
Likes: 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumkie View Post
And that is the reasonable thing to do. Nicky has always been a sensible rider, unwilling to put fellow competitors at risk. And that is one reason Hayden appeals to me. Even the only time he was on a contending machine, he rode sensible, and won the title, in a year that the parity amongst the grid has never been matched since (unlike now in either GP or Wsbk). I say it's his philosophy of racing contrasted to the culture borne from lower category GP or WSS where torpedoes are generally accepted as part of racecraft.

Besides the element of being new to a series is one thing but also those that are competing are still trying to make a name for themselves. There is a motivation to take higher risk. VDM just crashed out of his 'home' race overriding the 3rd or 4th best bike, sensible? Sykes just crashed out of the championship, which was abundantly obvious he was desperate to wrestle back from his teammate and now he just threw that away 'by taking high risk', that's a huge penalty, sensible? Chaz has crashed out often as well, and I've said as much in previous Wsbk threads. Lets face it, the title was always going to come out of the Kawasaki garage this year. I suppose Nicky could thrilled us riding like Davide Guiliano.
I think what it is for me is all I see with Nicky is his post-2006 career where it's just disappointment and underachievement. I'd like to see a fire lit under his ass for one weekend in his life where he actually does a little more than ride to position. All I wanted to see him do today was not sit at the back and never make an effort to probe and see if he could make an overtake happen.

I know where you are coming from regarding the sensibility of crashing, but I'd also say that nothing great is achieved without risk. At the end of it, yeah Kawasaki/Rea will bag this title, but I'd like to see a little more out of Nicky especially after the last few years of him in GP. I can't buy the new series thing anymore, there's a point where you have to acclimate quickly because you are a professional racer. When I start hearing the acclimation stuff and all of that, I start immediately thinking underachieving. Why? I said the same stuff about a number of racers I thought more highly of talent-wise than they actually were. Loved the guys, but in retrospect what I saw from them, was exactly what they were; capable of turning in good performances every so often, just enough to make you think they were going to turn a corner finally, only to plummet back to earth the very next week.
Jumkie likes this.
JPSLotus is offline  
April 16th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
moto vudu's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
From: Texas

Posts: 1,593
Likes: 623

Spies wasted no time getting acclimated to WSBK and when he got there he had far less experience than Hayden currently does. Of course, the R1 (even in its first year) was a lot more competitive than the ancient CBR Hayden is racing on.
Mr. Shupe, Jumkie, #22 and 1 others like this.
moto vudu is offline  
April 16th, 2016, 10:29 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: California

Posts: 1,450
Likes: 549

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto vudu View Post
Spies wasted no time getting acclimated to WSBK and when he got there he had far less experience than Hayden currently does. Of course, the R1 (even in its first year) was a lot more competitive than the ancient CBR Hayden is racing on.
Ben was also coming from the AMA Superbike series. The equipment, tires, electronics were certainly more familiar to him than a guy who's been in MotoGP for such a long time.
Mick D likes this.
levigarrett is offline  
April 17th, 2016, 12:42 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 925
Likes: 458

I imagine going from a MotoGP bike to a 10 year old Fireblade is like going back in time 50 years.
#22 likes this.
AntG is offline  
April 17th, 2016, 01:26 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
moto vudu's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
From: Texas

Posts: 1,593
Likes: 623

Going from a factory GP bike to the RCV1000R was like going back 25 years so Nicky was already halfway to a WSBK bike.
Mr. Shupe likes this.
moto vudu is offline  
April 17th, 2016, 02:40 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
propagandhi's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
From: the red corner

Posts: 780
Likes: 420

I Ride: the inevitable waves of change
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrabbiata1 View Post
Someone reserve the'17 spec Gresini Kalex for PJ immediately.
Lel.
Ask for race to be stopped.overcook it in the very next corner.
Such idiocy does ask for a promotion to the gresini/l'oreal squad.
propagandhi is offline  
April 17th, 2016, 06:33 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: ZA

Posts: 15
Likes: 11



Not sure what this guy was thinking

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Mick D likes this.
markbdaniels is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > Motorcycle Racing Forum > World Superbike

Tags
2016, assen, double, dutch, round, wsbk



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WSBK 2016: Round 3 Aragón (Spoilers) Jumkie World Superbike 30 April 5th, 2016 05:31 AM
WSBK 2016: Round 2, Thailand (SPOILERS) #22 World Superbike 68 March 14th, 2016 11:22 AM
WSBK: Round 1 Phillip Island 2016 Jumkie World Superbike 110 March 2nd, 2016 11:18 AM
Dutch TT Assen Round 7 25-26-27 june, predictions marco ketting MotoGP 40 June 28th, 2009 07:57 AM
WSBK round 4 in Assen **SPOILER THREAD** xx CURVE xx World Superbike 5 April 26th, 2008 09:44 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2017 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.