MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > Motorcycle Racing Forum > World Superbike

World Superbike World Superbike Forum - WSBK Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
May 30th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
povol's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
From: Tennessee

Posts: 10,458
Likes: 1631

You drop tens of millions to sponsor and promote a WSBK event and what do the local cops do. They back up traffic for miles, pulling ONLY bikes over for safety inspections.



http://superbikeplanet.com/2010/May/...ectandserv.htm



Luckily, someone had some pull with government and made some quick phone calls



We called our contacts in a local Commissioner's of Public Safety's Office and the checkpoint was shut down. We were assured that it won't happen again."



"We apologize to everyone for this, it won't ever happen again."



Miller Motorsports sources first expressed disbelief and then frustration upon learning about the motorcycle-only checkpoint.



"We do so much to try and attract motorcyclists to our event, it's just unbelievable that this happened," said one.
povol is offline  
 
May 31st, 2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jumkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Your Mom's House

Posts: 24,726
Likes: 3980

Somebody should explain to those cops where the local economy comes from. Idiots. i can see them going after a guy stunting or some squid actually doing something stupid, but a motorcycle only checkpoint? WTF
Jumkie is offline  
May 31st, 2010, 04:51 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: California

Posts: 1,452
Likes: 556

Utah is certainly a beautiful place but it's also one of the weirdest fuggin places on the planet!! Weird people, weird laws and a really weird religion. While SLC has less Mormon influence than other parts of the state, it's still just "different"...... I think I've still got some "bar membership" cards in my travel wallet. Really odd!
levigarrett is offline  
June 1st, 2010, 08:51 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jumkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Your Mom's House

Posts: 24,726
Likes: 3980

Quote:
Originally Posted by levigarrett View Post
I think I've still got some "bar membership" cards in my travel wallet. Really odd!
Hahaha yeah that totally reminds me. We had to buy a membership to enter a bar. It all started at the store, all the beer is less than 3% alcohol. Then we had to buy this membership to go drinking at a bar. I was like membership? I'm probably never coming back to this particular bar why do I need to become a member of this club? Dude said all the bars were like this, each clubs that I needed to belong to if I wanted to drink regular alcohol.



Religion? Don't get me started. Hahahaha
Jumkie is offline  
June 1st, 2010, 10:40 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2007
From: Texas

Posts: 6,833
Likes: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumkie View Post
Hahaha yeah that totally reminds me. We had to buy a membership to enter a bar. It all started at the store, all the beer is less than 3% alcohol. Then we had to buy this membership to go drinking at a bar. I was like membership? I'm probably never coming back to this particular bar why do I need to become a member of this club? Dude said all the bars were like this, each clubs that I needed to belong to if I wanted to drink regular alcohol.



Religion? Don't get me started. Hahahaha


They do that here in Texas as well. Counties and cities have to right to decide how they administer alcohol. Some counties are dry. Some cities are dry. Some counties and cities are dry except for preferred vendors like restaurants (no mass sale from grocery stores or liquor stores).



It's really strange and it's always a very hotly contested issue in Texas. Probably one of the worst things ever is that Texas Tech (Lubbock) is located in a dry county. Students generally go on long drunk drives on Thursday-Saturday to get more alcohol if they run out. It's an ugly situation that has led to many unnecessary deaths.



It's not quite so cut and dry, Jumkie. Drinking is banned on all state campuses in Texas, but at some private universities (even some with religious ties) you can drink on campus and I've heard stories that you can even drink in class. Can't vouch for the second part, but I've definitely had some drinks on private campuses just for the novelty.
mylexicon is offline  
June 1st, 2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2007
From: Paso Robles, CA USA

Posts: 2,859
Likes: 1

When I was going to San Diego State they had a bar on campus. It got pretty wild during finals week.



Obviously common sense went out the window with whomever administered that traffic check point.
SackWack is offline  
June 1st, 2010, 01:13 PM   #7
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Idaho

Posts: 958

We got stuck in that damn traffic jam. The cops had put up cones, "Men Working" signs, and a merge right sign. Everything appeared as if construction was going on, which we thought was an absolutely retarded thing to do on a race weekend. As we approached the slow down area, there were 2-3 state cops that had pulled over just motorcycles and it appeared as if they were searching thru bike bags and such. It was such a pain in the ass getting thru there that on race day we took a different route down some backroads to avoid it if they did that again.
Bootsakah is offline  
June 1st, 2010, 08:27 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
povol's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
From: Tennessee

Posts: 10,458
Likes: 1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsakah View Post
We got stuck in that damn traffic jam. The cops had put up cones, "Men Working" signs, and a merge right sign. Everything appeared as if construction was going on, which we thought was an absolutely retarded thing to do on a race weekend. As we approached the slow down area, there were 2-3 state cops that had pulled over just motorcycles and it appeared as if they were searching thru bike bags and such. It was such a pain in the ass getting thru there that on race day we took a different route down some backroads to avoid it if they did that again.
So it was actually much worse than the so called "safety inspection". That should go a long way towards making someone want to come back to your state you bunch of fucking idiots. If i were the Millers, i would use my rather large clout to serve up the head of whoever was at the top of this possibly illegal check point. Do they have check points for mini vans or SUV's only. What about other major sporting event in Utah, do fans that attend a game at the University of Utah, or a Jazz game get stopped and searched after an event.. This was clearly an attempt to harass motorcyclist only. Somewhere in that group of bikes, there was a lawyer who is drawing up papers as we speak, to determine the legality of this bullshit. I cant fucking stand cops that overstep their boundaries . It reminds me of an incident that happened at Barber a few years ago. One of the guys who rides with us invited his cop friend to go to the races, no big deal. Saturday night, we are back at the hotel sitting around the pool drinking beer and telling stories when the cop chimes in and tells us about a time he catches this young teenage couple parking. He proudly tells us all that he ordered them out of the car, naked as jaybirds while he 'checked them {her] out'. He thought this was funny as hell until i told him, if that had been my daughter, i would have stomped your fucking ass, you power hungry pervert. I was serious and my friends knew it. It got really quite for a few seconds while i stared this prick down. It pissed me off so bad, i reached in my shirt pocket and pulled out a joint and fired it up to show my contempt for the bastard. We had been sneaking around all weekend to get high as a show of respect and to not put him in an uncomfortable position, but at that point, i lost all respect for him and was letting him know it. Needless to say, my buddy was informed not to bring his friend to any more of our trips. I have been pulled over more times than i can count, and for the most part, was treated properly. If im in the wrong, i will take my medicine. If i get the feeling im being harassed, or the cop is being a prick, i have no problem giving it back to them. One of the best things you can say to a smart ass cop, is this stop being recorded. They get the message real quick. Those recorded stops are a 2 way street, you can use their behavior against them in a civil suit if they are out of hand.





http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=40649
povol is offline  
June 1st, 2010, 09:31 PM   #9
 
Joined: May 2010

Posts: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumkie View Post
Hahaha yeah that totally reminds me. We had to buy a membership to enter a bar. It all started at the store, all the beer is less than 3% alcohol. Then we had to buy this membership to go drinking at a bar. I was like membership? I'm probably never coming back to this particular bar why do I need to become a member of this club? Dude said all the bars were like this, each clubs that I needed to belong to if I wanted to drink regular alcohol.



Religion? Don't get me started. Hahahaha


This country was founded heavily on religious roots so every law is influenced by religion in some way, shape, or form.......we just dont see it as much when they are mainstream and uniform throughout the country.



It is definitely different from most cities, and depending on how the government is set up, you will see that for other things as well. There were stripclubs near where I went to school where you had to have a membership to go into. It helps them get around some laws by making it a "private club".....basically putting it to where they can say not just anyone can come into said establishment (although if you by the membership card, you are in!!).



I think the VFW was able to keep their right to allow smoking inside their buildings because of it's members only type deal and it is not open to the public.
FACTORY is offline  
June 1st, 2010, 11:09 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: California

Posts: 1,452
Likes: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by FACTORY View Post
This country was founded heavily on religious roots so every law is influenced by religion in some way, shape, or form.......we just dont see it as much when they are mainstream and uniform throughout the country.



It is definitely different from most cities, and depending on how the government is set up, you will see that for other things as well. There were stripclubs near where I went to school where you had to have a membership to go into. It helps them get around some laws by making it a "private club".....basically putting it to where they can say not just anyone can come into said establishment (although if you by the membership card, you are in!!).



I think the VFW was able to keep their right to allow smoking inside their buildings because of it's members only type deal and it is not open to the public.




Where in the founding documents are specific religious rituals endorsed? I don't care if Jesus himself (if I were to support such fantasy) signed the Declaration of Independence, religious ritual has never been supported and/or decreed law. Religious freedom and Sharia are very different things.
levigarrett is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > Motorcycle Racing Forum > World Superbike

Tags
fix, stupid



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.