MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > Motorsports Forum > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Ride reports and pictures of your motorcycle riding adventures


Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
September 19th, 2017, 06:35 AM   #1
Blue Smoker
 
Arrabbiata1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Out of Nowhere

Posts: 6,764
Likes: 2442

I Ride: The original
LA riders

This is Mulholland right?

I've driven it many times, but never ridden a bike up there. There's a section with really poor adhesion that features in many crash videos - and twice in this, the first guy (on the R1) comes very close to highsiding despite the liberal application of throttle imo. Is this corner renowned? Love the clip at 0:21 with the bike squirming out of the corner. What's the grip in general like on these canyon roads? It's always struck me a fairly dubious with an abundance of deceptive decreasing radius turns - but as I said, I've never attacked them on two wheels.



EDIT: I believe this is known as "The Snake"?

Last edited by Arrabbiata1; September 19th, 2017 at 06:51 AM. Reason: The Snake
Arrabbiata1 is offline  
 
September 19th, 2017, 09:22 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
MdubSTYLIE's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: Shovel's Club

Posts: 4,564
Likes: 1406

I Ride: your mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrabbiata1 View Post
This is Mulholland right?

I've driven it many times, but never ridden a bike up there. There's a section with really poor adhesion that features in many crash videos - and twice in this, the first guy (on the R1) comes very close to highsiding despite the liberal application of throttle imo. Is this corner renowned? Love the clip at 0:21 with the bike squirming out of the corner. What's the grip in general like on these canyon roads? It's always struck me a fairly dubious with an abundance of deceptive decreasing radius turns - but as I said, I've never attacked them on two wheels.



EDIT: I believe this is known as "The Snake"?
Yee that's mullholland.
Nice kid skids at 1:40

Last edited by MdubSTYLIE; September 19th, 2017 at 09:27 AM.
MdubSTYLIE is offline  
September 19th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Motokitty's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2015
From: San Diego

Posts: 623
Likes: 558

I Ride: Mini rice rocket.
I've never rode there either. I think that corner is called Edwards Corner.
I'm not sure about anything technical but according to some articles online, the corner is not difficult but people get stupid cus there are lots of spectators on weekends.
I've seen some riders get stupid after noticing a photographer on South Grade Rd up in Palomar mountain. (He sells those pics on his website.) Ego is such a killer.

Btw let me know if you guys come down to SD area. I ride up Palomar almost every week.
Motokitty is offline  
September 19th, 2017, 02:11 PM   #4
Blue Smoker
 
Arrabbiata1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Out of Nowhere

Posts: 6,764
Likes: 2442

I Ride: The original
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motokitty View Post
I've never rode there either. I think that corner is called Edwards Corner.
I'm not sure about anything technical but according to some articles online, the corner is not difficult but people get stupid cus there are lots of spectators on weekends.
I've seen some riders get stupid after noticing a photographer on South Grade Rd up in Palomar mountain. (He sells those pics on his website.) Ego is such a killer.

Btw let me know if you guys come down to SD area. I ride up Palomar almost every week.
Thanks for that. I do like San Diego - last time I was there was several years ago passing through with Jum. Hung out there for a while in 2002 over the week of Independence Day.

I'd take you up on that if I had immediate plans to visit Cali again and the not insignificant matter of having a motorcycle when I got there.

Jum, would Gidel lend me his Yammy?
Arrabbiata1 is offline  
September 22nd, 2017, 02:17 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: Austin, TX

Posts: 19
Likes: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motokitty View Post
I've seen some riders get stupid after noticing a photographer on South Grade Rd up in Palomar mountain. (He sells those pics on his website.) Ego is such a killer.
My husband purchased his picture from that guy one of his 1st rides up there. He has witnessed plenty of people get stupid because the photog is there.
MsBecca81 is offline  
September 22nd, 2017, 02:44 PM   #6
Gaz
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: Dubvegas, or thereabouts

Posts: 5,260
Likes: 1719

There are a few roads in Australia with a similar reputation and in most cases it is caused by the ego of a rider who sees a crowd of people and soon finds that their 'ambition outweighed their talent' as they collect themselves from the dust.

There used to be one very specific corner on the old pacific highway where, as helmet cameras became more prevalent and people realised you could make money selling photos back to riders, you would see a bbq setup together with a drinks van, and often 3 - 5 falls on the day.

Have seen same results with photographers at trackdays, National Park, MAcquarie Pass, Jamberoo, you name it where there is a photographer there is a lemming willing to over step the marks and 99 times from 100 it has nothing to do with anything other than the masturbation hand.

Now, the photographers are all over but do not advertise where or when, but they still make money out of the lemmings who want to look good
Gaz is offline  
September 22nd, 2017, 02:58 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
MdubSTYLIE's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: Shovel's Club

Posts: 4,564
Likes: 1406

I Ride: your mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
There are a few roads in Australia with a similar reputation and in most cases it is caused by the ego of a rider who sees a crowd of people and soon finds that their 'ambition outweighed their talent' as they collect themselves from the dust.

There used to be one very specific corner on the old pacific highway where, as helmet cameras became more prevalent and people realised you could make money selling photos back to riders, you would see a bbq setup together with a drinks van, and often 3 - 5 falls on the day.

Have seen same results with photographers at trackdays, National Park, MAcquarie Pass, Jamberoo, you name it where there is a photographer there is a lemming willing to over step the marks and 99 times from 100 it has nothing to do with anything other than the masturbation hand.

Now, the photographers are all over but do not advertise where or when, but they still make money out of the lemmings who want to look good


This is east coast america, provol country. I have a few friends that have added to this tree.
MdubSTYLIE is offline  
September 22nd, 2017, 03:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: Norah Head

Posts: 8,503
Likes: 532

I Ride: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
There are a few roads in Australia with a similar reputation and in most cases it is caused by the ego of a rider who sees a crowd of people and soon finds that their 'ambition outweighed their talent' as they collect themselves from the dust.

There used to be one very specific corner on the old pacific highway where, as helmet cameras became more prevalent and people realised you could make money selling photos back to riders, you would see a bbq setup together with a drinks van, and often 3 - 5 falls on the day.

Have seen same results with photographers at trackdays, National Park, MAcquarie Pass, Jamberoo, you name it where there is a photographer there is a lemming willing to over step the marks and 99 times from 100 it has nothing to do with anything other than the masturbation hand.

Now, the photographers are all over but do not advertise where or when, but they still make money out of the lemmings who want to look good
Bit further up from that OPH road is an aptly named corner ...


Doesnt look bad the day of that vid. But given that its in eucalypt country and ut gets mist the coefficient if friction of the road surface changes humungously and its a lottery as to what speed it is safe.
BarryMachine is offline  
September 22nd, 2017, 03:23 PM   #9
Gaz
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: Dubvegas, or thereabouts

Posts: 5,260
Likes: 1719

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryMachine View Post
Bit further up from that OPH road is an aptly named corner ...


Doesnt look bad the day of that vid. But given that its in eucalypt country and ut gets mist the coefficient if friction of the road surface changes humungously and its a lottery as to what speed it is safe.
Ah the road to Wollombi

Used to ride that every weekend, well before that corner got it's reputation thanks to the right had masturbation brigade.

The OPH around Mooney Creek was bad for on road leaf litter as well, had a few slides there but if you expect it, you can react better
Gaz is offline  
September 22nd, 2017, 03:34 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: Norah Head

Posts: 8,503
Likes: 532

I Ride: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Ah the road to Wollombi

Used to ride that every weekend, well before that corner got it's reputation thanks to the right had masturbation brigade.

The OPH around Mooney Creek was bad for on road leaf litter as well, had a few slides there but if you expect it, you can react better
Road leaf litter ..... and moss in winter.

Funny thing with Wollombi road is that for years they refused to tarmac it ...... I loved that road then in a car ...

The continuation of Wollombi rd from Bucketty to St Albans ( on which I have my retrement property ) is still dirt ...... it would be manic, heavenly, deadly, the worlds best motorcycle road if they ever tarmac it. Its not uncommon to see p plated subarus in all angles off and over the side of the road. Id love it tobe hotmixed ..... but I know what would happen.
BarryMachine is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > Motorsports Forum > Ride Reports

Tags
riders



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
riders kngadrok MotoGP 49 July 17th, 2008 11:05 AM
Riders of Today VS Riders of Yesterday cmk304 MotoGP 50 November 15th, 2006 11:07 AM
Riders get sat nav! BEN MotoGP 12 March 27th, 2006 03:39 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2017 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.