MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > Motorsports Forum > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Ride reports and pictures of your motorcycle riding adventures


Like Tree151Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
October 31st, 2015, 10:56 AM   #11
Blue Smoker
 
Arrabbiata1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Out of Nowhere

Posts: 6,907
Likes: 2566

I Ride: The original
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr No View Post
That front was a Pilot 2?
I have raced in 13deg wet. But on full wets. Very wierd and squirmy. Two stroke 125 power band doesn't help. Nor stress and steam pouring into lid.
Confidence trick.
Big props for taking a 1000 out on such a nasty day.
Thanks Doc. The guys on 1 litre bikes really struggled bar the race teams and the clubbers. The first R1 is renowned for being particularly savage and unrefined, so you HAVE to short shift. First and second are practically unusable in the wet, they made the ratios taller on the second iteration I think. No TC or wet weather map, just a bank of mikuni's, so smooth throttle control and try to relax on the bike even though your sphincter is clenching like a clam. During the first session on the old tyre it was stair rods, I was very, very lucky to bring it back in - although it was flagged early. The guy with me bought down a blade and a CBR600 and flew round on the latter on full wets. I'll upload some footage...I kept having to lift my visor at the end the straights through the Esses and out of Redgate due to fogging. It was like a skid pan...to give you an idea, I was exiting Coppice at only 40mph.

Actually, it's a pilot 4 I think...the one with the sipe technology. A friend has them and everyone keeps asking him why he has wet tyres on. I need a good performance sports tourer tyre for the miles I do and this was in the back of the truck and ideal for the day and until I put the sticky's on next summer.

Once rode an RG500 around a wet Mallory with 80's tyre technology ...'interesting'.
gekko1ro and Theo like this.
Arrabbiata1 is offline  
 
November 1st, 2015, 12:04 AM   #12
SPECTRE
 
Dr No's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Crab Key

Posts: 2,994
Likes: 726

I've only ridden about a couple of dozen laps on a track on non-race tyres...I can't comprehend a Gen1 R1 on road tyres...in the wet.
To be frank, 1000s in any form kinda terrify me. The vast bulk of my track time has been on 125GP and a couple of practice weekends playing on a TZ250. The size, power, (relatively) poor braking and turn in, make my riding style umm, "unsuitable".
A mate's GSXR750 was an utter handful for me due to having to recalibrate my braking points etc. Big buzz, but not satisfying (and I have to learn how to ride better...)

Helmet fogging sucks. PI in the wet is eye-opening. Tucking into the bubble down the straight tends to fog you up pretty nicely....just in time for Turn 1.

Worst thing about wet riding? Climbing back into soggy, cold leathers...worse than getting into a cold, soggy wetsuit and somewhat less appropriate to piss in.
Mick D likes this.
Dr No is offline  
November 1st, 2015, 01:30 AM   #13
Blue Smoker
 
Arrabbiata1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Out of Nowhere

Posts: 6,907
Likes: 2566

I Ride: The original
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr No View Post
I've only ridden about a couple of dozen laps on a track on non-race tyres...I can't comprehend a Gen1 R1 on road tyres...in the wet.
To be frank, 1000s in any form kinda terrify me. The vast bulk of my track time has been on 125GP and a couple of practice weekends playing on a TZ250. The size, power, (relatively) poor braking and turn in, make my riding style umm, "unsuitable".
A mate's GSXR750 was an utter handful for me due to having to recalibrate my braking points etc. Big buzz, but not satisfying (and I have to learn how to ride better...)

Helmet fogging sucks. PI in the wet is eye-opening. Tucking into the bubble down the straight tends to fog you up pretty nicely....just in time for Turn 1.

Worst thing about wet riding? Climbing back into soggy, cold leathers...worse than getting into a cold, soggy wetsuit and somewhat less appropriate to piss in.
Generation 1 R1, in the wet on road tyres = slow.

1 litre sports bikes are a liability on the road in my opinion because as challenging as they can be to push, they can also mask a riders inefficiency. On track, you immediately discover who is out of their depth.

I truly believe in the maxim that 'the bike is always better than you'. I see guys out there on the road who even given frequent track time will never get close to exploiting the performance of modern machinery and contemporary tyre performance which is why I ride a 16 year old bike...because I am still exploring and unlocking its potential. It has limitations true, but they are grossly outweighed by my own.

Having been weaned on two strokes I almost have the reverse contention. If I took an RS250 out on track tomorrow directly after a four stroke sports bike, my overwhelming feeling would be 'I have to learn to ride better' - but, if the circuit was tight and twisty enough, I'd make sure I claimed a few hypersport scalps while I was out there.
Mick D and Theo like this.
Arrabbiata1 is offline  
November 1st, 2015, 01:03 AM   #14
SPECTRE
 
Dr No's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Crab Key

Posts: 2,994
Likes: 726

I have the same attitude to bikes.
The bikes I have are so much better than me (It's motivating/disheartening to have someone try out your bike and go a few seconds faster with no set-up) that I see no need to upgrade to anything faster. And I can spend that cash on tyres.

I wrote that bit about bulk/braking/turn-in badly.
The RS125/TZ250 brake so much later, and turn in so fast, that the bulkier and much faster GSXR required a lot of recalibration. First few laps, it felt like steering a very fast truck.
Dr No is offline  
November 1st, 2015, 01:10 AM   #15
Blue Smoker
 
Arrabbiata1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Out of Nowhere

Posts: 6,907
Likes: 2566

I Ride: The original
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr No View Post
I have the same attitude to bikes.
The bikes I have are so much better than me (It's motivating/disheartening to have someone try out your bike and go a few seconds faster with no set-up) that I see no need to upgrade to anything faster. And I can spend that cash on tyres.

I wrote that bit about bulk/braking/turn-in badly.
The RS125/TZ250 brake so much later, and turn in so fast, that the bulkier and much faster GSXR required a lot of recalibration. First few laps, it felt like steering a very fast truck.
Absolutely - greater gyroscopic force, and accustomising to the engine braking also.
Arrabbiata1 is offline  
November 1st, 2015, 01:28 AM   #16
SPECTRE
 
Dr No's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Crab Key

Posts: 2,994
Likes: 726

Not to mention that me and the 125 weigh less than a dry GSXR....
Engine braking was less of a deal than I thought, I blip the downchanges on the RS125. Mainly out of paranoia of being flat in 6th and shutting off all lube in the braking zone.
While we are trading war stories, engine braking did catch me out on the first lap on a Manx Norton. Straight off a 125 onto a complete thumper of a bike with a slooow gearchange. Much less fun than I'd thought it'd be but one (4 lap?) notch on my "I've ridden one of those!!" (note Harryjones exclamations) belt.
Arrabbiata1 likes this.
Dr No is offline  
November 20th, 2015, 11:14 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Jumkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Your Mom's House

Posts: 24,725
Likes: 3980

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekko1ro View Post
a couple of weeks ago me and a friend took a ride thru the hills nearby. skip the first minute

YouTube vids
Great footage Gekko, thanks for sharing.
Jumkie is offline  
November 20th, 2015, 10:46 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
gekko1ro's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Romania

Posts: 459
Likes: 183

I Ride: suzuki sv 650, honda xl 350
I`m glad you like it, but it`s a last year video and now I think it`s a kind of lame. But I enjoyed very much the ride so I shared it. Track days for me are out of the question, the closest track is in another country (Hungary), so this rides are our way to spent time on bikes. It`s a little bit dangerous (sometimes sand or dirt on the road), but the traffic is light and we don't mess with the throttle.
gekko1ro is offline  
November 21st, 2015, 07:16 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Willski's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
From: Here

Posts: 3,182
Likes: 445

I Ride: I've got a bicycle
A good representation of today's ride....rain, wind, snow, cold
Attached Thumbnails
good weather for a ride-image.jpg  
Jumkie and Arrabbiata1 like this.
Willski is offline  
November 22nd, 2015, 04:46 AM   #20
Blue Smoker
 
Arrabbiata1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Out of Nowhere

Posts: 6,907
Likes: 2566

I Ride: The original
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willski View Post
A good representation of today's ride....rain, wind, snow, cold
You should have let me know you were going Wills...I've always wanted to cycle round Silverstone.
Willski likes this.
Arrabbiata1 is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > Motorsports Forum > Ride Reports

Tags
good, ride, weather



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not a good ride today SackWack Ride Reports 11 August 4th, 2009 06:44 AM
weather worries.... katerina MotoGP 8 June 19th, 2007 07:13 AM
WET WEATHER RACING,, puresideways Motorsports 11 June 5th, 2007 05:54 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.