MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > Motorsports Forum > Motorsports

Motorsports Motorsports Racing Forum - For everything else motorsports


Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By AntG
  • 1 Post By AntG
  • 1 Post By AntG
  • 1 Post By AntG
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
July 24th, 2018, 11:47 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 1,319
Likes: 636

Suzuka 8 Hours this weekend

One of my favourite events of the year, should be good.
Spygoat likes this.
AntG is offline  
 
July 24th, 2018, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2007
From: Australia

Posts: 1,460
Likes: 436

I Ride: R6
What surprises me is how the local Japanese riders tend to beat the WSBK/MotoGP boys in qualifying. I don't understand how.
RCV600RR is offline  
July 24th, 2018, 11:53 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 1,319
Likes: 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCV600RR View Post
What surprises me is how the local Japanese riders tend to beat the WSBK/MotoGP boys in qualifying. I don't understand how.
I'd guess they have a fuckload more experience at Suzuka, WSB has never raced there and MotoGP hasn't since 2003. Remember the local Japanese wildcards when they raced at Sugo in WSB? They always seemed to dominate.
RCV600RR likes this.
AntG is offline  
July 24th, 2018, 01:29 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2007
From: Australia

Posts: 1,460
Likes: 436

I Ride: R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntG View Post
I'd guess they have a fuckload more experience at Suzuka, WSB has never raced there and MotoGP hasn't since 2003. Remember the local Japanese wildcards when they raced at Sugo in WSB? They always seemed to dominate.
Solid answer. Make sense. Very few MotoGP/WSBK riders know their way around Suzuka, but I still don't get how they outpace riders who have done a few stints at Suzuka (e.g. VdM)?
RCV600RR is offline  
July 25th, 2018, 12:07 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Holypuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: Northern Italy

Posts: 465
Likes: 392

I Ride: Honda CRF250 (modified for Dirt Track)
Amazing race.

Do you guys know if there's a place online to watch the race at?

Looks like it's not gonna be on Italian TV...
Holypuck is offline  
July 25th, 2018, 03:03 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 1,319
Likes: 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holypuck View Post
Amazing race.

Do you guys know if there's a place online to watch the race at?

Looks like it's not gonna be on Italian TV...

It's being covered live on Eurosport, I'm not sure if that's just UK though. No idea about online, there will probably be something to stream from.
AntG is offline  
July 25th, 2018, 07:59 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 1,319
Likes: 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCV600RR View Post
Solid answer. Make sense. Very few MotoGP/WSBK riders know their way around Suzuka, but I still don't get how they outpace riders who have done a few stints at Suzuka (e.g. VdM)?
I still just think it's more to do with having a lot more laps there, the likes of VDM only go to Suzuka for the 8 hours I think the Japanese championship has 3 rounds there so racing it that many times means they must just hit the ground running and not have to worry about set up.

Like I said about the Japanese wildcards in WSB at Sugo they turned up and battered guys like Kocinski, Fogarty, Bayliss, Edwards and co. Bit like the Brit wildcards at Brands and Donington, it wasn't uncommon to see BSB lads like Hodgson(before he was WSB regular), Byrne, Reynolds, Rutter, Hislop and Walker get wins or podiums against the regulars, which I put down to experience.

Also another thing to consider as well is the 8 Hours is a bit "extra-curricular" to the MotoGP/WSB/BSB riders, it's a good thing to have on your CV but to the Japanese riders this is the one, this is their Indy 500, their TT, their Daytona, their Le Mans, it's massive to them so they'll be possibly more motivated.
RCV600RR likes this.
AntG is offline  
July 29th, 2018, 02:50 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 1,319
Likes: 636

Alex Lowes and Michael Van der Mark win. Yamaha's 4th consecutive win on Honda's home track.
AntG is offline  
July 29th, 2018, 05:27 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Deefer Dogg's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
From: UK

Posts: 297
Likes: 177

Missed all after Jacobsen came out in the rain.
At that point Honda looked to be in a decent position compared to the Yamaha, being on the wet tyres. What happened with that?? Track dry quickly or something else??
Deefer Dogg is offline  
July 29th, 2018, 11:28 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 1,319
Likes: 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deefer Dogg View Post
Missed all after Jacobsen came out in the rain.
At that point Honda looked to be in a decent position compared to the Yamaha, being on the wet tyres. What happened with that?? Track dry quickly or something else??
A few incidents bringing out the safety car got Yamaha back into it
Deefer Dogg likes this.
AntG is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > Motorsports Forum > Motorsports

Tags
hours, suzuka, weekend



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suzuka 8 Hours Willski World Superbike 2 July 31st, 2013 10:26 PM
1988 Suzuka GP mylexicon MotoGP 7 June 10th, 2009 07:14 AM
Honda to miss Suzuka Eight Hours Pigeon Motorsports 0 January 23rd, 2009 09:17 AM
Suzuka - would you like to see it part of 09 Austin MotoGP 30 November 17th, 2008 03:46 PM
Suzuka 8 Hours Austin Motorsports 55 August 1st, 2006 12:28 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.