MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree20Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
June 24th, 2021, 03:25 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2016
From: Pontianak

Posts: 16
Likes: 4

MotoGP and fans must learn from Formula 1 by retaining MotoGP popularity

Valentino Rossi's MotoGP career lifespan will towards tail-end as Valentino Rossi on the brink of retirement. MotoGP and fans must learn what F1 did in the past when F1 lost Michael Schumacher by retirement after 2006 but the popularity was stable and no effect.

MotoGP must stable the popularity when Valentino Rossi retires.

Your opinions?

Last edited by TheriusVR46; June 24th, 2021 at 03:41 AM.
TheriusVR46 is offline  
 
June 24th, 2021, 03:50 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
warthog1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2020
From: Bendigo Vic

Posts: 330
Likes: 167

He is no longer a factor to be considered for title contention and race wins.

Some great talent coming through.
MotoGP is looking great
Furiosa likes this.
warthog1 is offline  
June 24th, 2021, 05:20 AM   #3
Member
 
Joined: Jun 2019
From: US

Posts: 91
Likes: 35

I daresay the majority of the people VR brought into GP are a detriment to racing overall.

They will leave when he does because they don't care about the sport...give me a Stoner any day.
Furiosa and warthog1 like this.
Mrpurple is offline  
June 24th, 2021, 09:14 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2019
From: Wales, UK

Posts: 440
Likes: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheriusVR46 View Post
Valentino Rossi's MotoGP career lifespan will towards tail-end as Valentino Rossi on the brink of retirement. MotoGP and fans must learn what F1 did in the past when F1 lost Michael Schumacher by retirement after 2006 but the popularity was stable and no effect.

MotoGP must stable the popularity when Valentino Rossi retires.

Your opinions?
VR has stayed while his performance declined and as the 'new guard' came to fruition. We have the next generation riders already present and demonstrating that they are more than capable of providing great entertainment going forward. The diehard fans who cannot do without Rossi on the grid will go and so does the fan base cycle. As Rossi diehards go, other diehards emerge etc. On the background will be the MotoGP diehards who aren't tied to to any particular rider.
Keshav and p4p1 like this.
misfit is offline  
June 24th, 2021, 11:29 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Pomona NY

Posts: 10,721
Likes: 2115

I Ride: BMW F800R + Yamaha XSR 900
Yes, it does seem that the eternal conceit of those who live vicariously through celebrities is they they convince themselves that their “relationship” with a celebrity is symbiotic, rather than merely parasitic, and that the host will shrivel and die without them.
SlartyBartFast, greg328 and p4p1 like this.

Last edited by Keshav; June 24th, 2021 at 11:33 AM.
Keshav is offline  
June 24th, 2021, 04:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 2,024
Likes: 883

Honestly it will be fine. I have noticed some VR fans coming around to Marquez, the shoulder not to mention some of the championship documentaries being a reason for that. I work with a Rossi fan (not an insane one), we were speaking about motogp and he told me he didn't really like Marquez because he doesn't show much personality etc but then watched one of those behind the scenes docos they do for whoever wins the championship and started to see his personality and like him. After this weekend we were on the phone and he couldn't stop talking about how amazing the win was, how great he thought it was to see etc. So I think some are coming around, the ones that will continue to follow the sport but will always hate Marquez have moved on from Mav and are now jumping on the FQ bandwagon or pinning their hopes to Acosta.

The sport will be fine, for every Rossi fan that won't watch without him there will be new fans that come along.
Keshav, greg328, Furiosa and 1 others like this.
p4p1 is offline  
June 24th, 2021, 05:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 11,489
Likes: 2647

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4p1 View Post
Honestly it will be fine. I have noticed some VR fans coming around to Marquez, the shoulder not to mention some of the championship documentaries being a reason for that. I work with a Rossi fan (not an insane one), we were speaking about motogp and he told me he didn't really like Marquez because he doesn't show much personality etc but then watched one of those behind the scenes docos they do for whoever wins the championship and started to see his personality and like him. After this weekend we were on the phone and he couldn't stop talking about how amazing the win was, how great he thought it was to see etc. So I think some are coming around, the ones that will continue to follow the sport but will always hate Marquez have moved on from Mav and are now jumping on the FQ bandwagon or pinning their hopes to Acosta.

The sport will be fine, for every Rossi fan that won't watch without him there will be new fans that come along.
If they remain predominantly fans of VR rather than fans of the sport after more than 20 years then I fear there is no keeping them, even leaving aside the question of whether they are worth keeping.

I guess it will be bad for Dorna, and to some extent the riders although I suspect only a few top riders get large money, if there is less money in the sport, but from a personal viewpoint having very much enjoyed the sport when I first started following it in earnest in the golden era 500 two stroke days I strongly suspect I will continue to do so.

The media coverage is better now I guess although I don’t use most of the features on my Dorna subscription except the live timing with even the results of sessions coming up quicker on crashnet, and I also strongly suspect commentary is dependent on the characteristics of individual commentators rather than anything Dorna does; Barry Sheene who was on the Australian coverage back in the 1980s has definitely not been surpassed by anyone subsequently for me.
michaelm is offline  
June 24th, 2021, 06:35 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
warthog1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2020
From: Bendigo Vic

Posts: 330
Likes: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Barry Sheene who was on the Australian coverage back in the 1980s has definitely not been surpassed by anyone subsequently for me.
He was very good, agreed.
I do not miss big Darrell Eastlake's commentary though.
Dunno how he managed to cope.

Last edited by warthog1; June 24th, 2021 at 06:38 PM.
warthog1 is offline  
June 24th, 2021, 07:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 11,489
Likes: 2647

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog1 View Post
He was very good, agreed.
I do not miss big Darrell Eastlake's commentary though.
Dunno how he managed to cope.
Nice enough bloke, but too strident as a commentator I agree, definitely not from the Richie Benaud less is more school.
Havey likes this.
michaelm is offline  
June 24th, 2021, 07:51 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 11,489
Likes: 2647

Double
michaelm is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
fans, formula, formula 1, learn, motogp, popularity, retaining, schumacher



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MotoGP versus Formula 1 Westhillman MotoGP 2 October 26th, 2015 07:22 AM
Rossi's MotoGP formula J4rn0 MotoGP 62 October 11th, 2010 12:11 AM
Hi MotoGP fans....... Prendas New Users 8 July 7th, 2009 09:17 AM
Hello Motogp fans pepik128 New Users 16 February 2nd, 2007 10:58 AM
Hello fellow MotoGP fans L8Braker New Users 12 November 10th, 2006 06:48 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2022 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.