MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree33Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
October 20th, 2020, 07:15 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 11,051
Likes: 2344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
It's both, but recall if you will, Stoner was largely unbeatable at Phillip Island regardless of which bike he was on. He won at Qatar in the old 250 class and came back to win there in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011. (2006 - his rookie year - he was 5th on a half-ass LCR Honda with shitty mismatched tires)

Riders at all levels agree that they're more comfortable or more adept, on one side vs the other. If you keep track of places where a given rider makes his passes they tend to be mostly in a left or right. Of course they have to be good at both, but there's always a preference, so tracks with predominantly left turns will favor certain riders and right turns, others. Stoner, as well as many of the great American riders, started out in pee wee flat track classes and on into their teen years, on tracks where they only turned to the left, so for sure left turn passes were deeply in the their DNA.
The really great riders can limit the damage at their less favoured tracks however, leading me to the conclusion there is no rider in the field who is truly great currently, although the possibility exists I guess that the current Michelins are so execrable that even peak MM or peak Rossi, or peak Stoner for that matter, couldn’t ride them at all at some tracks.
michaelm is offline  
 
October 21st, 2020, 12:19 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
SlartyBartFast's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Adelaide

Posts: 232
Likes: 105

Execrable. "Extremely bad or unpleasant". I had to look that one up Mike. This can also be be applied to my work environment at the moment. I believe the Michelin's are as you say, and I can't help it, but I will always be a little suspicious on who wins the tyre lottery each race weekend.
Keshav likes this.
SlartyBartFast is offline  
October 21st, 2020, 01:59 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 11,051
Likes: 2344

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlartyBartFast View Post
Execrable. "Extremely bad or unpleasant". I had to look that one up Mike. This can also be be applied to my work environment at the moment. I believe the Michelin's are as you say, and I can't help it, but I will always be a little suspicious on who wins the tyre lottery each race weekend.
I did think the current Michelins required a strong adjective.
Mick D likes this.
michaelm is offline  
October 21st, 2020, 07:06 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 10,188
Likes: 1752

I Ride: Triiumph Tiger XCx 800 + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlartyBartFast View Post
Execrable. "Extremely bad or unpleasant". I had to look that one up Mike. This can also be be applied to my work environment at the moment. I believe the Michelin's are as you say, and I can't help it, but I will always be a little suspicious on who wins the tyre lottery each race weekend.
I don't have a quotable source, but I do recollect hearing that Michelin slicks are much less uniform in quality than those from Dunlop and B-Stone.
Keshav is offline  
October 21st, 2020, 10:56 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2019
From: Wales, UK

Posts: 228
Likes: 108

Loved the race. Good on Rins and Alex Marquez for that edge of seat display.

I do agree with the view that Marc's absence from the team may well have played in Alex's hand. Alex had enough negativity to mentally deal with without this brothers confirmation that the bike as it was at the start of the year is enough to get a great result. Alex would likely have continued to struggle and then some. With Marc out of the picture, Honda had to dig deep and delivered just enough for Alex to work with and without his brother's shadow. Seems to have worked great and will likely continue to do so once Alex joins the LCR team. Pol can take on being teammates with Marc.
michaelm and Keshav like this.
misfit is online now  
October 21st, 2020, 01:19 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 10,188
Likes: 1752

I Ride: Triiumph Tiger XCx 800 + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Loved the race. Good on Rins and Alex Marquez for that edge of seat display.

I do agree with the view that Marc's absence from the team may well have played in Alex's hand. Alex had enough negativity to mentally deal with without this brothers confirmation that the bike as it was at the start of the year is enough to get a great result. Alex would likely have continued to struggle and then some. With Marc out of the picture, Honda had to dig deep and delivered just enough for Alex to work with and without his brother's shadow. Seems to have worked great and will likely continue to do so once Alex joins the LCR team. Pol can take on being teammates with Marc.
It'll be interesting to see if Marc will use the bike in Alex spec or will he go with the idiosyncratic go-nuts set-up all over again. His influence in that regard will obviously have great effect on Pol's being able to gel with it.

Last edited by Keshav; October 21st, 2020 at 08:14 PM.
Keshav is offline  
October 21st, 2020, 05:16 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 11,051
Likes: 2344

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Loved the race. Good on Rins and Alex Marquez for that edge of seat display.

I do agree with the view that Marc's absence from the team may well have played in Alex's hand. Alex had enough negativity to mentally deal with without this brothers confirmation that the bike as it was at the start of the year is enough to get a great result. Alex would likely have continued to struggle and then some. With Marc out of the picture, Honda had to dig deep and delivered just enough for Alex to work with and without his brother's shadow. Seems to have worked great and will likely continue to do so once Alex joins the LCR team. Pol can take on being teammates with Marc.
Maybe HRC are smarter than we think, have had full confidence in Alex all along, and the plan was always for him to lead a different development direction to produce bikes suited to mere mortal riders, as was supposedly the plan with Lorenzo but did not prove feasible riding the MM bike alongside MM, but would probably be more feasible riding for LCR with full factory support.
michaelm is offline  
October 22nd, 2020, 06:45 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2019
From: Wales, UK

Posts: 228
Likes: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
It'll be interesting to see if Marc will use the bike in Alex spec or will he go with the idiosyncratic go-nuts set-up all over again. His influence in that regard will obviously have great effect on Pol's being able to gel with it.
Marc seems Stoner-esque in attitude with the bike from my understanding with how he opines. Marc's priority is a fast bike and not an easy ride. He is capable of riding around the difficulties and extracting the performance. Most of the MotoGP riders need the bike to behave in a way that allows them to ride as they would like to.

So I would expect that if Marc comes along and is able to win races and championships with the current bike, he and Honda will be a happy. If he can't, then the bike is not fast enough, albeit more rideable. He would then be happy to go back to a fast, though difficult configuration.
misfit is online now  
October 22nd, 2020, 10:07 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 10,188
Likes: 1752

I Ride: Triiumph Tiger XCx 800 + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Marc seems Stoner-esque in attitude with the bike from my understanding with how he opines. Marc's priority is a fast bike and not an easy ride. He is capable of riding around the difficulties and extracting the performance. Most of the MotoGP riders need the bike to behave in a way that allows them to ride as they would like to.

So I would expect that if Marc comes along and is able to win races and championships with the current bike, he and Honda will be a happy. If he can't, then the bike is not fast enough, albeit more rideable. He would then be happy to go back to a fast, though difficult configuration.
I'm thinking if the bike is fast enough for Alex to come from that far back and 2nd on the podium, it seems likely to be fast enough for his more accomplished brother to do even better. Only reason I can think of for him to prefer the less rider friendly bike, is to make the bike less compatible for other Honda riders, which I think is a bit farfetched, but hey, you never know.
Keshav is offline  
October 22nd, 2020, 06:12 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 11,051
Likes: 2344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
I'm thinking if the bike is fast enough for Alex to come from that far back and 2nd on the podium, it seems likely to be fast enough for his more accomplished brother to do even better. Only reason I can think of for him to prefer the less rider friendly bike, is to make the bike less compatible for other Honda riders, which I think is a bit farfetched, but hey, you never know.
Mick Doohan reputedly picked a screamer engine at one time for just this reason, but also had a bit of a thing about his settings being given to other Honda riders, to all of them in one particular season iirc.

I can’t see MM being worried about other Honda riders, just as Stoner was not worried about team-mates having his data, but you never know as you say. They did have different mindsets, extracting the maximum performance from the bike and beating the track were Stoner’s main objectives, MM loves beating the other riders.
michaelm is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
aragon, gran, michelin, premio



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gran Premio Movistar de Aragón 2017 MdubSTYLIE MotoGP 289 September 30th, 2017 02:24 PM
Round 14: 2016 Gran Premio Movistar de Aragón: MotorLand Aragón JPSLotus MotoGP 374 October 1st, 2016 04:33 AM
MotoGP: 2015 Round 14 - Gran Premio Movistar de Aragon (SPOILERS) budoist MotoGP 231 October 2nd, 2015 07:00 AM
MotoGP Gran Premio Iveco de Aragón - Practice & Qualifying MigsAngel MotoGP 18 September 29th, 2013 01:29 AM
MotoGP Gran Premio Iveco de Aragón Predictions MigsAngel MotoGP 31 September 28th, 2013 07:31 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2020 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.