MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree33Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
October 17th, 2020, 07:10 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2017
From: Acadiana

Posts: 413
Likes: 145

Well, the point about tennis was if you are not better decisively then you shouldn't complain when it slips away. In other words, don't put yourself into situation where such a call can make difference.
greg328 and cucoloco like this.
Segfault is offline  
 
October 17th, 2020, 08:45 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 11,024
Likes: 2329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
Well, the point about tennis was if you are not better decisively then you shouldn't complain when it slips away. In other words, don't put yourself into situation where such a call can make difference.
Sure it is the luck of the draw rather than something to complain about, but my point was that tiebreakers can be a rather capricious way of deciding the outcome of a tennis set or match, and a wrong line call can decide the outcome of a match if you are one of the top 3 players all time playing one of the other top 3 players of all time with both of you at the top of your game.

Sure Dovi is not a top 3 MotoGP rider all time, and nor is it likely imo that he is racing anyone this particular week end who is/will be a top 3 rider all time.
greg328 likes this.
michaelm is offline  
October 17th, 2020, 09:38 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: On the edge in California

Posts: 316
Likes: 125

I Ride: 1972 BMW R75/5 and 1989 Honda Hawk NT650GT
The comparison with tennis is apt, particularly at this level. The game is almost all mental when the mechanics are a given, or should be. Racing is the game as well in this case, although games are usually played with one ball....

I don’t understand Fabio revealing so much at this point in the proceedings. It makes me think he still has a lot to learn. It’s a little endearing certainly, but can also be seen as a sign of weakness. Why tell your opponents how you are playing the game?

Unless you’re sandbagging of course.......up it a level!
Bern1 is offline  
October 18th, 2020, 01:59 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
birdman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Dont Know

Posts: 1,432
Likes: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
@michaelm

.....,two bikes riding one after another will enjoy combined air drag which is less than two bikes separately.....,.
This is my understanding, common in nascar when one car gets out in front either two cars or the pack can catch up without actually being faster drivers. Thing is, the draft from a few lengths further back doesn’t help the lead rider, only when they are nose to tail. In fact I have heard rider reports a rider in front can feel the effects of another bike a couple lengths back on the engine in 5th and 6th gears, holding it back. I don’t have an understanding of the physics why.
Keshav likes this.

Last edited by birdman; October 18th, 2020 at 02:01 AM.
birdman is offline  
October 18th, 2020, 02:10 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
birdman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Dont Know

Posts: 1,432
Likes: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern1 View Post
The comparison with tennis is apt, particularly at this level. The game is almost all mental when the mechanics are a given, or should be. Racing is the game as well in this case, although games are usually played with one ball....

I don’t understand Fabio revealing so much at this point in the proceedings. It makes me think he still has a lot to learn. It’s a little endearing certainly, but can also be seen as a sign of weakness. Why tell your opponents how you are playing the game?

Unless you’re sandbagging of course.......up it a level!
Tennis these days is as much about the physical. The men look like grey hounds. A millisecond of time gained in physical speed and agility allows that player a millisecond extra time mentally over their opponent Which just slowly adds up and wears the other down. Bikes though, nothing like same ball court racket tennis far more variables. Most say Marquez has the worst bike so is behind in mechanics from the beginning. My theory has always been Marquez mostly just leaves the bike as is and concentrates on getting maximum understanding and thus benefit from the tires. Yes this does require simulated and actual crashing, but you can’t save a crash in a race if you can’t anticipate when it could occur or know how to actually save it.
michaelm likes this.
birdman is offline  
October 18th, 2020, 03:23 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 11,024
Likes: 2329

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Tennis these days is as much about the physical. The men look like grey hounds. A millisecond of time gained in physical speed and agility allows that player a millisecond extra time mentally over their opponent Which just slowly adds up and wears the other down. Bikes though, nothing like same ball court racket tennis far more variables. Most say Marquez has the worst bike so is behind in mechanics from the beginning. My theory has always been Marquez mostly just leaves the bike as is and concentrates on getting maximum understanding and thus benefit from the tires. Yes this does require simulated and actual crashing, but you can’t save a crash in a race if you can’t anticipate when it could occur or know how to actually save it.
Sure, I agree, it is more like squash these days, superior physical endurance wears the other player down, certainly for the likes of Djokovic and Nadal, and perhaps also Murray in his pomp. Federer has had to get very fit to compete in his old age, but is perhaps more of a throwback to older days where skills were more paramount, particularly when rackets were made of wood long ago though those days were.
greg328 likes this.
michaelm is offline  
October 18th, 2020, 04:21 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 11,024
Likes: 2329

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
This is my understanding, common in nascar when one car gets out in front either two cars or the pack can catch up without actually being faster drivers. Thing is, the draft from a few lengths further back doesn’t help the lead rider, only when they are nose to tail. In fact I have heard rider reports a rider in front can feel the effects of another bike a couple lengths back on the engine in 5th and 6th gears, holding it back. I don’t have an understanding of the physics why.
There is a piece on it on crashnet. Dovi’s complaint seemed to be that for all 3 of his fastest laps Petrux deliberately waited for a tow from Dovi, which resulted in a lap beyond his actual true pace and put him in Q2 ahead of Dovi rather than that Petrucci slowed him down. Dovi said he wasn’t looking for any help from anyone but thought it was a strange way for a Ducati rider not in contention to behave towards one who was, and harked back to lack of help from a previous team-mate when that team-mate was a ‘Spanish rider’.

Could have been obviated by him being faster than Jack Miller or not in Q1 in the first place I guess, but 3 tows is perhaps excessive and I have never been much of a Petrucci fan in any case.
michaelm is offline  
October 18th, 2020, 05:48 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 1,841
Likes: 789

2 excellent weekends for Alex Marquez in a row. Strongly starting to think that HRC made the wrong call replacing him with Pol.
Mick D and greg328 like this.
p4p1 is offline  
October 18th, 2020, 05:49 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 1,841
Likes: 789

Mir looking great for the title now. But it’s closed up so much that it’s still anyone’s game.
greg328 likes this.
p4p1 is offline  
October 18th, 2020, 05:53 AM   #30
Junior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2020
From: Oxfordshire

Posts: 17
Likes: 2

Amazing race. I said I predicted Nakagami for a podium and he was 5th so I wasn’t too far off. Alex Marquez is really impressive.
Woodstock is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
aragon, gran, michelin, premio



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gran Premio Movistar de Aragón 2017 MdubSTYLIE MotoGP 289 September 30th, 2017 01:24 PM
Round 14: 2016 Gran Premio Movistar de Aragón: MotorLand Aragón JPSLotus MotoGP 374 October 1st, 2016 03:33 AM
MotoGP: 2015 Round 14 - Gran Premio Movistar de Aragon (SPOILERS) budoist MotoGP 231 October 2nd, 2015 06:00 AM
MotoGP Gran Premio Iveco de Aragón - Practice & Qualifying MigsAngel MotoGP 18 September 29th, 2013 12:29 AM
MotoGP Gran Premio Iveco de Aragón Predictions MigsAngel MotoGP 31 September 28th, 2013 06:31 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2020 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.