MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree27Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
August 5th, 2020, 06:46 AM   #21
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2019
From: US

Posts: 29
Likes: 7

Honda really needed to secure that backup some time ago, it was never going to be Alex or Jorge, hell even Pedrosa sufficed before all the rule changes screwed him...he was unstoppable on his day.
Mrpurple is offline  
 
August 5th, 2020, 08:31 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: Scotland

Posts: 214
Likes: 133

Is he not going to make it back at all this season?

I do wish he'd take time to heal. And actually for me, that demon ride from the near-off back up to 3rd was just incredible and he deserves the rest of the season off since he put the whole year's worth of drama into that one race.

I also know not everyone is a fan. I am. I think what he does on a bike is incredible and other worldy. So for the high side, the broken arm, the missing marc for possibly the whole season - it's just so 2020...
michaelm, greg328 and warthog1 like this.
Furiosa is offline  
August 5th, 2020, 08:42 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2019
From: Wales, UK

Posts: 183
Likes: 81

I Ride: A bicycle. Heehee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiosa View Post
Is he not going to make it back at all this season?

I do wish he'd take time to heal. And actually for me, that demon ride from the near-off back up to 3rd was just incredible and he deserves the rest of the season off since he put the whole year's worth of drama into that one race.

I also know not everyone is a fan. I am. I think what he does on a bike is incredible and other worldy. So for the high side, the broken arm, the missing marc for possibly the whole season - it's just so 2020...
It's odd that anyone wouldn't be a fan of MM. He's a legend and we should feel privileged to be watching him 1st hand. I've seen him ride and was really looking at watching them in Silverstone this year, but alas, along came COVID.

misfit is offline  
August 5th, 2020, 01:04 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 10,126
Likes: 1715

I Ride: Triiumph Tiger XCx 800 + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Two great posts thanks. And amen to unforeseen prices to be paid down the line. When I broke my hip at my last race in '88, I was unaware I'd fractured several vertebrae in my lower back. When the fractures showed up in an X-ray a few years later, I just poo pooed it 'cause I wasn't in much discomfort. Came back to haunt me three years ago when everything shifted just a few millimeters resulting in impingement on the nerve, leaving me in excruciating pain, taking Oxicontin left and right and still pounding the walls and throwing shit around. It started right when I'd had a stent put in, so I was not allowed to have corrective surgery for six month because I had to be on blood thinners. A half year of hell.
greg328 likes this.
Keshav is online now  
August 5th, 2020, 08:16 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
birdman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Dont Know

Posts: 1,423
Likes: 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I am with you on your last point. I strongly suspect the initial operation and/or the device inserted were not completely satisfactory.
Perhaps it was the least invasive option employed in a bid to enable Marquez a fast recovery period, probably with Brno in mind. I doubt the surgeons were expecting Marquez to suit up mere days later though. Overall I don’t see this as any particular harm done. Lorenzo’s misfortune was far more severe in that he suffered psychologically as well as physically. As most people are aware the former tends to me more of an issue than the later, screws and titanium don’t fix brains.

Along the lines of “don’t worry about Honda, worry about Suzuki”, I’m not really worried this is a serious setback for Marquez’s career overall. Mentally he’s fine. The injury is uncomplicated. His position is such he can probably ride whenever he chooses, can take as much time as needed. I’d be more inclined to worry about the long term health of riders such as Rins and Crutchlow, who appear to be riding more out of desperation to keep their ride.
michaelm likes this.

Last edited by birdman; August 5th, 2020 at 08:20 PM.
birdman is offline  
August 5th, 2020, 09:11 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,990
Likes: 2315

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Perhaps it was the least invasive option employed in a bid to enable Marquez a fast recovery period, probably with Brno in mind. I doubt the surgeons were expecting Marquez to suit up mere days later though. Overall I don’t see this as any particular harm done. Lorenzo’s misfortune was far more severe in that he suffered psychologically as well as physically. As most people are aware the former tends to me more of an issue than the later, screws and titanium don’t fix brains.

Along the lines of “don’t worry about Honda, worry about Suzuki”, I’m not really worried this is a serious setback for Marquez’s career overall. Mentally he’s fine. The injury is uncomplicated. His position is such he can probably ride whenever he chooses, can take as much time as needed. I’d be more inclined to worry about the long term health of riders such as Rins and Crutchlow, who appear to be riding more out of desperation to keep their ride.
Yes, he is probably better off long term than if he had injured his shoulder again, given enough time the humeral fracture will eventually heal with no sequelae, not the same case with ligament or tendon injuries and particularly articular cartilage trauma.

Last edited by michaelm; August 6th, 2020 at 01:36 AM.
michaelm is offline  
August 6th, 2020, 09:42 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2019
From: Wales, UK

Posts: 183
Likes: 81

I Ride: A bicycle. Heehee
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Yes, he is probably better off long term than if he had injured his shoulder again, given enough time the humeral fracture will eventually heal with no sequelae, not the same case with ligament or tendon injuries and particularly articular cartilage trauma.
We're never really sure because the blood supply to the bone is at risk each time you interfere with it to plate it. A non-union can result, not without solutions, mind you, but it's a real possibility.

Apparently the plate broke when he was trying to open a window at home. I suspect the window was the 'straw that broke the camel's back'. Unlike bone that can remodel and recuperate from stress, the plate cannot. It will eventually break under stress. Puig is disingenuously trying to downplay the contribution of his riding prematurely on the plate's breaking, saying that the plate broke at home and not on the circuit.
misfit is offline  
August 6th, 2020, 03:33 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,990
Likes: 2315

Sure, both nonunion and avascular necrosis are possible complications of fractures, but I gather it wasn’t comminuted and doesn’t seem to have been at a site prone to AVN. The likelihood is it will heal without complications, unless of course he revisits his previous behaviour and tries to ride too early, particularly competitively at the premier class gp level.

Haven’t read the most recent reports, but like you don’t think opening a window is likely to have caused the problem, much more likely the thing moved when he had the sudden onset of severe pain which ended his attempt to compete on the Saturday of the last race weekend.

Btw, whoever listed the reasons why he might be motivated to return so early has hit upon 1 reason which is very likely important to him, the chance to win 5 titles in a row like Rossi and Doohan, he is a very keen student of the history of the sport. There is every reason to think this setback won’t stop him winning 8 or 9 or whatever, but starting from scratch again is a problem even for him as far as winning 5 consecutive titles.

Last edited by michaelm; August 6th, 2020 at 05:56 PM.
michaelm is offline  
August 7th, 2020, 02:46 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 1,826
Likes: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Sure, both nonunion and avascular necrosis are possible complications of fractures, but I gather it wasnít comminuted and doesnít seem to have been at a site prone to AVN. The likelihood is it will heal without complications, unless of course he revisits his previous behaviour and tries to ride too early, particularly competitively at the premier class gp level.

Havenít read the most recent reports, but like you donít think opening a window is likely to have caused the problem, much more likely the thing moved when he had the sudden onset of severe pain which ended his attempt to compete on the Saturday of the last race weekend.

Btw, whoever listed the reasons why he might be motivated to return so early has hit upon 1 reason which is very likely important to him, the chance to win 5 titles in a row like Rossi and Doohan, he is a very keen student of the history of the sport. There is every reason to think this setback wonít stop him winning 8 or 9 or whatever, but starting from scratch again is a problem even for him as far as winning 5 consecutive titles.
I had this thought as well. 5 straight titles is a magic number of sorts. Thereís not much doubt in my mind he will win 2 more titles before his career is up. But 5 or more straight titles ends any argument of him>everyone else. Starting another championship run from 2021 onwards, is possible but 5 straight with the rules the way they are is a tough ask for anyone.
p4p1 is offline  
August 7th, 2020, 06:23 PM   #30
Junior Member
 
Cutter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2020
From: SoCal, USA

Posts: 26
Likes: 2

I Ride: BMW s1000r
This was supposed to be a great year for my fantasy league, but Marc couldn’t have f*cked me harder by bowing out the first race. Good thing Quartararo is on my gold team.
Furiosa likes this.
Cutter is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
2nd, damaged, marc, plate, surgery



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: For sale L99 MGP reg plate Prw46 Classifieds 0 June 29th, 2014 09:15 AM
Curse of the No 1 plate Talpa MotoGP 36 June 29th, 2011 12:52 PM
Lorenzo will run # 1 plate povol MotoGP 64 February 10th, 2011 11:24 AM
the no 1 plate apecar MotoGP 16 April 19th, 2008 12:04 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2020 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.