MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
March 5th, 2020, 02:36 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 10,039
Likes: 1651

I Ride: Triiumph Tiger XCx 800 + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog1 View Post
Read the title of the thread.
A 4 year contract.
How many of them do you recall?
For the guy who has won 6 of the last 7 titles.
The runner up manufacturer was apparently also interested in his services.
What part of that behaviour, what part of the results, indicate Honda doesn't have a clue what they are doing?
They build the bike he needs, it is working for them and they have extended the contract as a result.
I fail to see what else they are expected to do?
He is getting the results he is going to be the primary focus whilst he is there and getting those results.
When that changes so will the focus.
Again they are the most successful manufacturer in the open class.
They have a long history of good results it doesn't follow that they have forgotten what to do, they are doing what they need to and the results are there to see.
Keshav is offline  
 
March 5th, 2020, 03:45 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,880
Likes: 2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog1 View Post
And again why do they need to?
They just signed a 4 year contract with the guy who scored the record points haul on the unrideable pos and won 6 of the last 7 championships on it
Clearly they are intent on producing what he needs and when he is not there they will need to change.
Ducati for all their innovative rule stretching have not won the championship.
Gigi seemed to have a bit of envy for Honda's asset too.
https://www.crash.net/motogp/feature...target-my-life

Yes the Honda appears hard to ride but they are producing the goods and have extended their strategy for maintaining their position as the most successful motoGP manufacturer.

When we see Mav or Fab consistently beating them they may need to change earlier.
If we ever get a start to the bloody season.
I don't think they have a deliberate strategy of producing a bike which is good for MM but bad for others though, or that he is necessarily a poor 'developer'. Imo things have just worked out as they have, with the control ECU affecting a bike designed with a bespoke ECU, and Honda's current focus probably being more on F1.

Sure they have no reason to change as you say, to the casual observer they have a totally dominant best in the world bike. They did build a new engine once just to win WSBK now I think of it, with the same engine configuration as the Ducati WSBK which was winning with a V2/L2 and seemed to be advantaged by the rules. The politics may be different now, with Sochiro Honda who was an out and out racing guy, and reputedly a major reason for Honda's racing DNA, dead for a while now.

Last edited by michaelm; March 5th, 2020 at 06:36 PM.
michaelm is offline  
March 5th, 2020, 05:32 PM   #53
Member
 
warthog1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2020
From: Bendigo Vic

Posts: 40
Likes: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I don't think they have a deliberate strategy of producing a bike which is good for MM but bad for others though, or that he is necessarily a poor 'developer'. Imo things have just worked out as they have, with the control ECU affecting a bike designed with a bespoke ECU, and Honda's current focus probably being more on F1.



Sure they have no reason to change as you say though, to the casual observer they have a totally dominant best in the world bike. They did build a new engine once just to win WSBK once now I think of it, with the same engine configuration as the Ducati WSBK which was winning with a V2/L2 and seemed to be advantaged by the rules. The politics may be different now, with Sochiro Honda who was an out and out racing guy, and reputedly a major reason for Honda's racing DNA, dead for a while now.
Yeah they have their eggs in one basket for sure.
They were big on the electronic control prior to the spec ecu apparently.
You have a good point there.

I am disappointed Lorenzo didn't stay and wasn't maybe given enough developmental support.
I don't know the full story but I really rate him with a package he has enough input on. He started to get there on the Duke so that was a disappointment too.

Anyway the Marquez deal is set for a few years so they should be ok if he stays uninjured.
We will see how they perform when he isn't there or if the others start performing more strongly.
We wait (and wait ) to see how the season pans out
warthog1 is online now  
March 5th, 2020, 10:44 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2019
From: Barcelona

Posts: 115
Likes: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog1 View Post
If you cant explain given the results....

I don't believe Honda is exclusively staffed by stupid people and incompetent engineers


All eggs in one basket is a cliche, however....if Marc gets hurt Honda eats shit and loses the WC.

This is reason enough to work on a side solution while Marc beats people on the shitty but fast Honda torpedo.
Keshav and Barbedwirebikerr like this.
320Dave is offline  
March 5th, 2020, 10:55 PM   #55
Member
 
warthog1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2020
From: Bendigo Vic

Posts: 40
Likes: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320Dave View Post
All eggs in one basket is a cliche, however....if Marc gets hurt Honda eats shit and loses the WC.



This is reason enough to work on a side solution while Marc beats people on the shitty but fast Honda torpedo.
Yeah disappointed they didn't try with Jorge or he didn't stay.

I can see the motive behind their current strategy though.
He is clearly the best currently and has the results

I watched the Doohan era, and see some similarities with respect to one strong rider.

It will be interesting to see how they go with Alex and how long it takes to win when MM is done.
warthog1 is online now  
March 6th, 2020, 02:03 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2019
From: Barcelona

Posts: 115
Likes: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog1 View Post
Yeah disappointed they didn't try with Jorge or he didn't stay.

I can see the motive behind their current strategy though.
He is clearly the best currently and has the results

I watched the Doohan era, and see some similarities with respect to one strong rider.

It will be interesting to see how they go with Alex and how long it takes to win when MM is done.


Alex will most likely drop the ball so hard the ball will appear in Australia but it was dropped in Spain.

Probably not as bad as Lorenzo but that is mostly because people were expecting a lot from him and then the pressure and injuries just killed him...that and not being able to ride it.


I will always be left wondering what would have happened if he didn't do the wipeout at Catalunya and the crash on the test after it.
320Dave is offline  
March 6th, 2020, 02:37 AM   #57
Member
 
warthog1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2020
From: Bendigo Vic

Posts: 40
Likes: 4

I have watched hardly any moto 2 and not much of AM as a consequence.
He certainly doesn't seem to be near as good as his bro.
Bro may give him some pointers but still has to be able to do it.
warthog1 is online now  
March 6th, 2020, 03:11 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2019
From: Barcelona

Posts: 115
Likes: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog1 View Post
I have watched hardly any moto 2 and not much of AM as a consequence.
He certainly doesn't seem to be near as good as his bro.
Bro may give him some pointers but still has to be able to do it.


And my prediction is that he won't be able to.

A younger Alex circa 2013/14 was just as dangerous as marc but without the talent, nothing has changed since then other than his main competitors leaving from Moto2 giving him a chance to win it & that he aint as dangerous.

He will fail and for some reason i will mostly enjoy it. Call me a hater
320Dave is offline  
March 6th, 2020, 05:51 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 10,039
Likes: 1651

I Ride: Triiumph Tiger XCx 800 + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320Dave View Post
And my prediction is that he won't be able to.

A younger Alex circa 2013/14 was just as dangerous as marc but without the talent, nothing has changed since then other than his main competitors leaving from Moto2 giving him a chance to win it & that he aint as dangerous.

He will fail and for some reason i will mostly enjoy it. Call me a hater
HRC hiring Little Alex is dumb on a par with McCain choosing Palin as a running mate.
Keshav is offline  
March 6th, 2020, 06:16 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2019
From: Barcelona

Posts: 115
Likes: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
HRC hiring Little Alex is dumb on a par with McCain choosing Palin as a running mate.


FFS I have to google that


Edit: Oh ok politics lmao, with running mate I though it was going to be some relay race :=)
320Dave is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
contract, hrc, marquez, signs, year



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marquez track loses contract. danski MotoGP 47 May 27th, 2018 11:17 PM
Mir signs pre-contract for Honda evo9 MotoGP 89 May 24th, 2018 09:57 AM
Stoner signs new contract skaface MotoGP 40 February 1st, 2013 09:39 PM
Hayden signs new contract with HRC. thirdreich MotoGP 31 October 2nd, 2006 03:27 AM
Hayden Signs Two-Year Deal With Honda Funnycrazygirl69 MotoGP 10 October 2nd, 2006 12:12 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2020 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.