MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
March 17th, 2020, 02:11 AM   #111
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 1,753
Likes: 721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
I'm 60% there with you. Maybe because I just like Dovi, I tend to speculate that the times when he would be freakin' fabulous one week, and the next week all at sea, that it was inconsistency with the Ducati which the factory were constantly pulling new toys out of the box in hopes of improving the bike. I remember Stoner having similar ups and downs - but managing to win when absolutely necessary. I certainly don't put Dovi in the same class as Stoner or Marquez, but still think if he'd been at HRC as promised he'd have stood a good chance at at least one championship year.
But at times when Dovi hasn’t performed when he needed to he hasn’t been the first Ducati home.
In what year do you think Dovi could’ve won a title at HRC though? It’s fine to see he may have won a title but in what year? His best bet would’ve been 2012 or 2013 but I’m not sure he could beat Lorenzo in 2012 or Marquez and Lorenzo in 2013.
p4p1 is offline  
 
March 17th, 2020, 07:12 AM   #112
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2019
From: US

Posts: 13
Likes: 3

I don't think Dovi ever really gelled with the HRC... more of a Yamaha rider.

Too bad they don't give the main riders backup bikes to the satellite teams, not that it matters given that no races this year.
Mrpurple is offline  
March 18th, 2020, 08:47 AM   #113
Senior Member
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2019
From: Wales, UK

Posts: 130
Likes: 45

I Ride: A bicycle. Heehee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
Well sure, not every race over the length of a long career. But there is such a thing as "The Butterfly Effect". For instance, if Lorenzo hadn't fallen and injured himself and quit Honda, Little Alex wouldn't have been lucky enough to be riding a factory Repsol bike and that has HUGE potential to affect his career for years to come. It was a matter of luck (or chance if you will) that he is Marc's kid brother, otherwise he would be riding a KTM in 2020.

It certainly was a bad bit of luck that Dovizioso got bumped from Repsol despite having a good showing on the bike and despite having the smarts and negotiating skills to get the contract. He didn't get bumped from HRC because he lacked ability.
Well, little Alex wouldn't have gotten the chance without winning the Moto2 championship. Yes, we do get chances in life and one could take the luck thing from who one's parents are etc. However, my point is that opportunity knocks and it's for the person who receives it to take full advantage and if successful, more opportunities will come.... the butterfly effect as you say.

Pedrosa and Dovi have had many opportunities. Enough, in fact, for me to conclude anyway, that siting 'poor luck' as the cause for the failure/success over such long careers is pushing it and making excuses.
misfit is offline  
March 18th, 2020, 09:19 AM   #114
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,880
Likes: 2243

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Well, little Alex wouldn't have gotten the chance without winning the Moto2 championship. Yes, we do get chances in life and one could take the luck thing from who one's parents are etc. However, my point is that opportunity knocks and it's for the person who receives it to take full advantage and if successful, more opportunities will come.... the butterfly effect as you say.

Pedrosa and Dovi have had many opportunities. Enough, in fact, for me to conclude anyway, that siting 'poor luck' as the cause for the failure/success over such long careers is pushing it and making excuses.
I am with you on this, Pedrosa and Dovi are imo about Mamola level which is not anything to sneer at of course but not top 10 riders in the history of the sport, which Rossi, MM, Lorenzo, and Stoner, the latter talent-wise anyway, are/were imo.

All of the aforementioned riders would have found a way to finish better than 12th with the title still in play unless they had an off or a mechanical glitch, and iirc Stoner was immediately quicker than Dani in the post season test. The misfortune was with the time they happened to be participating in the sport, I could see either beating the likes of Criville to a title.

Last edited by michaelm; March 18th, 2020 at 11:29 AM.
michaelm is offline  
March 18th, 2020, 02:55 PM   #115
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 10,039
Likes: 1651

I Ride: Triiumph Tiger XCx 800 + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Well, little Alex wouldn't have gotten the chance without winning the Moto2 championship. Yes, we do get chances in life and one could take the luck thing from who one's parents are etc. However, my point is that opportunity knocks and it's for the person who receives it to take full advantage and if successful, more opportunities will come.... the butterfly effect as you say.

Pedrosa and Dovi have had many opportunities. Enough, in fact, for me to conclude anyway, that siting 'poor luck' as the cause for the failure/success over such long careers is pushing it and making excuses.
Pedrosa had great bikes but Honda just couldn't make one that would gel for him the way Yamaha did with Rossi and Lorenzo. He was just too small and there was nothing to be done.

I think Dovi being bumped from the Repsol team was unfortunate in that he had a one year window after Stoner left when he potentially could have won a championship. But he was pushed out through no fault of his own. It wasn't because he wasn't ready to take advantage of the opportunity, he'd negotiated it into his contract. That qualifies as shite luck in anyone's book

Followers of the sport just naturally predict that MM being such a force of nature that there was no way anyone was going to seriously challenge him - especially after his impressive rookie season. And yet - there were two seasons when Dovi on the Ducati had some fantastic battles in which Marquez was just about barely staying on the bike in efforts to challenge - where in fact Dovi prevailed. Some may opine that Dovi was "more of a Yamaha guy", but I reckon if Repsol had honored their contract and kept Dovi on the Honda all these years (the way they did Pedrosa) Dovi would have grown with the bike the way he did with the difficult-to-turn Ducati, and might well have taken a championship. It's just speculation.

Last edited by Keshav; March 18th, 2020 at 06:48 PM.
Keshav is offline  
March 24th, 2020, 04:58 AM   #116
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2019
From: Barcelona

Posts: 115
Likes: 35

Pedrosa had more talent than Rossi but is the size of a humming bird, this doesn't make him a worse rider, just a less successful one.

Had he been Rossi's size he would have probably won 2006, 8 & 9 but the moment the field got close Dani got bullied into the dirt, even hayden bullied him on track lmao.

No chance of beating the field consistently if you can't outbreak anyone., much less fucking Mr get out of my way here I come Rossi who had proven in 2004 & 5 he would do anything to win and would deeeeffo get away with it, not even a slap on the wrist.
320Dave is offline  
March 24th, 2020, 06:29 PM   #117
Member
 
warthog1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2020
From: Bendigo Vic

Posts: 40
Likes: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320Dave View Post
Pedrosa had more talent than Rossi but is the size of a humming bird, this doesn't make him a worse rider, just a less successful one.

Had he been Rossi's size he would have probably won 2006, 8 & 9 but the moment the field got close Dani got bullied into the dirt, even hayden bullied him on track lmao.

No chance of beating the field consistently if you can't outbreak anyone., much less fucking Mr get out of my way here I come Rossi who had proven in 2004 & 5 he would do anything to win and would deeeeffo get away with it, not even a slap on the wrist.
At his peak Rossi was a superb rider.
Cannot agree with Pedrosa having more talent given Rossi's record.
I do agree he was hampered by his size.
It doesn't follow that his talent was necessarily better however.
warthog1 is offline  
March 25th, 2020, 02:50 AM   #118
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,880
Likes: 2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog1 View Post
At his peak Rossi was a superb rider.
Cannot agree with Pedrosa having more talent given Rossi's record.
I do agree he was hampered by his size.
It doesn't follow that his talent was necessarily better however.
Agree.

Imo he has been revealed to have feet of clay in the last 10 years of his career, but it shouldn’t be forgotten that he was actually a great rider, and ranked ahead of the likes of Doohan and the US “golden era” 500 riders by long term fans such as me and I believe Povol after the 7th premier class title in 2009. He still ranks with the aforementioned riders. In my personal opinion MM should already be ranked ahead of him, and I probably along with 320 Dave consider Casey Stoner to have had equal or better talent if not the drive/ruthlessness of most of those who have won more titles than he has.
michaelm is offline  
March 25th, 2020, 03:16 AM   #119
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2019
From: Barcelona

Posts: 115
Likes: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Agree.

Imo he has been revealed to have feet of clay in the last 10 years of his career, but it shouldn’t be forgotten that he was actually a great rider, and ranked ahead of the likes of Doohan and the US “golden era” 500 riders by long term fans such as me and I believe Povol after the 7th premier class title in 2009. He still ranks with the aforementioned riders. In my personal opinion MM should already be ranked ahead of him, and I probably along with 320 Dave consider Casey Stoner to have had equal or better talent if not the drive/ruthlessness of most of those who have won more titles than he has.
Dani is a more superb rider with a much smaller body on a much more complicated field.

Dani would have obliderated Sete, max and co on those 500cc bikes and then on the 1000's as well and he would NOT have done it by beating them all on the second last lap to piss them off like Rossi did, he would have lapped the field, tell me otherwise.

When dani reached the GP in 2006 from a 250cc he was on a bigboy bike, did very well but struggled with how big it was, still won 2 races and a few podiums, Nicky won the WC, Rossi was also there. just wasn't going to happen.

2007 Dani made second place if i am not wrong, if it wasn't for stoner that was his to win.

2008 & 9 was also all about Rossi and stoner and then in 2010 came lorenzo.

Dani along with these guys has had the most complicated competition in the history of the sport (all together on track) AND IS THE SIZE AND WEIGHT OF A HUMMING BIRD!!


All in all i think he had bad luck despise having Honda back him up forever & deffo think he is a more talented (speed wise especially) than Rossi.

Jorge, Marc, Dani & obviously Stoner all have more talent than Rossi ever did, only one of them is solid enough to keep pushing it though and that is Marc.

Jorge also beat him when he had same equipment
320Dave is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
contract, hrc, marquez, signs, year



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marquez track loses contract. danski MotoGP 47 May 27th, 2018 11:17 PM
Mir signs pre-contract for Honda evo9 MotoGP 89 May 24th, 2018 09:57 AM
Stoner signs new contract skaface MotoGP 40 February 1st, 2013 09:39 PM
Hayden signs new contract with HRC. thirdreich MotoGP 31 October 2nd, 2006 03:27 AM
Hayden Signs Two-Year Deal With Honda Funnycrazygirl69 MotoGP 10 October 2nd, 2006 12:12 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2020 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.