MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
March 12th, 2020, 05:09 PM   #91
Member
 
warthog1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2020
From: Bendigo Vic

Posts: 40
Likes: 4

Development skills appear good enough to deliver the bike he needs, given his results.
As you say, he can ride around problems others can't.

Yeah I would have liked a fit, healthy and motivated Jorge to persist also.
warthog1 is offline  
 
March 13th, 2020, 12:39 AM   #92
Senior Member
 
birdman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Dont Know

Posts: 1,407
Likes: 813

Márquez said it himself. He doesn’t ride the bike to its limit. He just concentrates on riding the tires to the limit........the bike is irrelevant to him. As in change of set up or engine or ....... doesn’t help. He reminds me of Eddie Lawson. Find the limiting factor and increase it. Simply philosophy. Not many riders have this ability, it’s only the special few. We all know who they are...... or were. Respect to all riders though it’s the entertainment industry and in famous words “are we all not entertained”.
birdman is offline  
March 13th, 2020, 12:43 AM   #93
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,893
Likes: 2247

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Márquez said it himself. He doesn’t ride the bike to its limit. He just concentrates on riding the tires to the limit........the bike is irrelevant to him. As in change of set up or engine or ....... doesn’t help. He reminds me of Eddie Lawson. Find the limiting factor and increase it. Simply philosophy. Not many riders have this ability, it’s only the special few. We all know who they are...... or were. Respect to all riders though it’s the entertainment industry and in famous words “are we all not entertained”.
Great to see a post from you, incisive as always.
michaelm is offline  
March 13th, 2020, 11:07 AM   #94
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 10,050
Likes: 1667

I Ride: Triiumph Tiger XCx 800 + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog1 View Post
Seems human nature for others to attack the poster when they can't address or comprehend the point being made
Seems human nature that some folks think it's all about them. It's not.
My comment was pointed at a general type of fan we used to refer to here as "Boppers" - those being at the time, the Rossi fans; folks who are so blinded by their devotion to an athlete that they become incapable of critical thinking when the topic is that particular rock star to whose coattails they believe themselves to be riding on.

If you don't think the shoe fits - don't wear it.
Keshav is offline  
March 13th, 2020, 01:48 PM   #95
Member
 
warthog1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2020
From: Bendigo Vic

Posts: 40
Likes: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
Seems human nature that some folks think it's all about them. It's not.
My comment was pointed at a general type of fan we used to refer to here as "Boppers" - those being at the time, the Rossi fans; folks who are so blinded by their devotion to an athlete that they become incapable of critical thinking when the topic is that particular rock star to whose coattails they believe themselves to be riding on.

If you don't think the shoe fits - don't wear it.
Given we have had disagreement in this thread and that it was a quote of a post in reply to one of mine, the inference appeared that it was directed at me.

If it wasn't I apologise.

Yes I think we need to move onto racing, far more than interesting and why we are all here.

Eventually the season may start and we may get to see how this years rides perform :x

Last edited by warthog1; March 13th, 2020 at 01:51 PM.
warthog1 is offline  
March 13th, 2020, 02:04 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 10,050
Likes: 1667

I Ride: Triiumph Tiger XCx 800 + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog1 View Post
Given we have had disagreement in this thread and that it was a quote of a post in reply to one of mine, the inference appeared that it was directed at me.

If it wasn't I apologise.

Yes I think we need to move onto racing, far more than interesting and why we are all here.

Eventually the season may start and we may get to see how this years rides perform :x
I do my best to stay away from "personality conflicts". In the distant past - this forum was really spoiled by endless flaming and being a guy who doesn't back down, I got sucked into it. I hope never to see a repeat of that.

In the event - looking to be a very truncated season. Expecting a fair amount of drama as Dorna try to compensate with new rules to be written on-the-fly.

We have a good crew here. Hoping everyone stays healthy.
warthog1 likes this.

Last edited by Keshav; March 13th, 2020 at 03:00 PM.
Keshav is offline  
March 13th, 2020, 10:02 PM   #97
Senior Member
 
povol's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
From: Tennessee

Posts: 10,512
Likes: 1674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
Doesn't make any sense. Everybody looks at the RCV the way it is and says: Only Magic Marc can ride this insane bike on which all the other riders are struggling.

If it were so easy, why would Honda not presto-change-o build a bike that Cal and the others could use to bring more points to the constructor's championship?

I get why some folks believe that Honda big-money fixes everything at will, but if that were so, Repsol would have made damned sure that HRC made a bike Pedrosa could win championships on.
They made a bike capable of winning a title, Pedro just wasn’t up to the challenge of beating Rossi or Lorenzo. Once the rider who was up to beating them came along, the Honda dominated .
povol is offline  
March 14th, 2020, 05:14 AM   #98
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 10,050
Likes: 1667

I Ride: Triiumph Tiger XCx 800 + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by povol View Post
They made a bike capable of winning a title, Pedro just wasn’t up to the challenge of beating Rossi or Lorenzo. Once the rider who was up to beating them came along, the Honda dominated .
The conversation went into gear after you asserted that Honda could overnight design the bike to be suitable to riders other than Marquez. Given that Pedrosa was incredibly talented and that the bike was widely touted to be have been designed to suit Pedrosa from beginning as early as 2006 and then, even more so when they shrunk it in 2007, the evidence is in that this is just not so. Remember... what rider, (in the period since Pedrosa's rookie year) other than Stoner (and now Marquez) won more races on the Honda? Pedrosa was a world-class rider yet despite the bike being designed around him, he was incapable of of winning a championship with it because HRC with all their knowledge and experience and near unlimited funding they were unable to make it work for the very rider it was engineered for. Pedrosa's two championships in the 250 class are evidence of his abilities and his time in MotoGp illustrate his absolute fearlessness and determination despite all the injuries.

Last edited by Keshav; March 14th, 2020 at 06:17 PM.
Keshav is offline  
March 14th, 2020, 07:44 PM   #99
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,893
Likes: 2247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
The conversation went into gear after you asserted that Honda could overnight design the bike to be suitable to riders other than Marquez. Given that Pedrosa was incredibly talented and that the bike was widely touted to be have been designed to suit Pedrosa from beginning as early as 2006 and then, even more so when they shrunk it in 2007, the evidence is in that this is just not so. Remember... what rider, (in the period since Pedrosa's rookie year) other than Stoner (and now Marquez) won more races on the Honda? Pedrosa was a world-class rider yet despite the bike being designed around him, he was incapable of of winning a championship with it because HRC with all their knowledge and experience and near unlimited funding they were unable to make it work for the very rider it was engineered for. Pedrosa's two championships in the 250 class are evidence of his abilities and his time in MotoGp illustrate his absolute fearlessness and determination despite all the injuries.
Rossi and Lorenzo were better than Pedrosa however, and he won no more than a couple of races a season except for 2012 when Stoner got injured, Rossi was riding a Ducati and Jorge had a large points lead and rode for position in much of the second part of the season. The history of modern gp bike racing is that Honda even when there were no equalisation rules have mostly only won when they have an outstanding rider. All old arguments aside along with an upgrade in funding and a re-designed bike which likely still wasn’t as good as the Honda Rossi did actually prove that in 2004, that V5 Honda was a great bike.
michaelm is offline  
March 15th, 2020, 03:02 AM   #100
Senior Member
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2019
From: Wales, UK

Posts: 136
Likes: 49

I Ride: A bicycle. Heehee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
The conversation went into gear after you asserted that Honda could overnight design the bike to be suitable to riders other than Marquez. Given that Pedrosa was incredibly talented and that the bike was widely touted to be have been designed to suit Pedrosa from beginning as early as 2006 and then, even more so when they shrunk it in 2007, the evidence is in that this is just not so. Remember... what rider, (in the period since Pedrosa's rookie year) other than Stoner (and now Marquez) won more races on the Honda? Pedrosa was a world-class rider yet despite the bike being designed around him, he was incapable of of winning a championship with it because HRC with all their knowledge and experience and near unlimited funding they were unable to make it work for the very rider it was engineered for. Pedrosa's two championships in the 250 class are evidence of his abilities and his time in MotoGp illustrate his absolute fearlessness and determination despite all the injuries.
Pedrosa remained competitive with the Honda, winning races every year and with many podium finishes, until his final season. It's a very different situation now where MM is the only one who can win and podium finish consistently with the Honda last season, and likely this season as well.
Keshav likes this.
misfit is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
contract, hrc, marquez, signs, year



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marquez track loses contract. danski MotoGP 47 May 27th, 2018 11:17 PM
Mir signs pre-contract for Honda evo9 MotoGP 89 May 24th, 2018 09:57 AM
Stoner signs new contract skaface MotoGP 40 February 1st, 2013 09:39 PM
Hayden signs new contract with HRC. thirdreich MotoGP 31 October 2nd, 2006 03:27 AM
Hayden Signs Two-Year Deal With Honda Funnycrazygirl69 MotoGP 10 October 2nd, 2006 12:12 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2020 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.