MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


View Poll Results: Who gets Lorenzo's ride?
Zarco 19 76.00%
Crutchlow 1 4.00%
Alex Marquez 5 20.00%
other 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree25Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
November 15th, 2019, 10:07 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
evo9's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
From: USA

Posts: 1,030
Likes: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4p1 View Post
I would say HRC can get anyone they want tbh. Contracts generally have a buy out clause in them and it’s not like HRC can’t afford to buy out a contract. Zarco is probably the leading man right now but his ok results on the easier to ride 2018 bike do not mean he will do well on the 2019 bike as I’m sure HRC are aware.
Good point! But I think we wont know until after the Valencia test. I did hear Matt Birt said, reliable sources have stated that Alpinestars have been request to put a HRC/Repsol suit together for Alex.

Last edited by evo9; November 15th, 2019 at 10:14 AM.
evo9 is offline  
 
November 15th, 2019, 10:09 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
evo9's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
From: USA

Posts: 1,030
Likes: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
What is this 2019 bike is harder to ride business.
Here is the info I'm aware of.

Honda added more power to the engine. There has been no mention of any other changes to the bike.
Honda said Marc is great champion and coped immediately with more power.
Crutchlow said riding it is problematic (or something along the lines).

OK, so the top end is stronger now, more top speed and better acceleration on 5th and 6th. Anything below this is electronically restricted and the full power is not used - and wasn't used before. So how exactly makes this change bike harder to ride and how it "completely changes the nature of bike" as some have alleged?
My BS meter is on high. Honda praising their champ, not surprising, is it? Crutchlow telling how hard he has to work - hardly a scientific argument.

I'm all ears if someone can shed some light on this "harder to ride" business.

The bike has lost the front end feel and is now a bit more difficult to turn. Those are the two complaints.
Mick D likes this.
evo9 is offline  
November 15th, 2019, 11:47 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: USA

Posts: 609
Likes: 206

with regards to the 2019 Honda, more power also effects how the engine slows the bike (engine braking) and enters corners.


you have to think that Zarco is the favorite for the ride, he's experienced and available, and he's a Red Bull athlete. however I think with Marc currently in negotiations for a contract, and likely advocating for his brother behind the scenes, Alex may be given serious consideration... or at least a test (this after hearing about an alpinestars repost suit being made for him).

that said I dont think Zarco nor Alex has a riding style that fits current factory Honda.
Hollywood is offline  
November 15th, 2019, 12:00 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2008
From: New Jersey, USA

Posts: 805
Likes: 16

I suspect this has been addressed but...

More power and torque = more engine braking = more pitch / overloaded front = more bracing/stiffness = less front end feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
What is this 2019 bike is harder to ride business.
Here is the info I'm aware of.

Honda added more power to the engine. There has been no mention of any other changes to the bike.
Honda said Marc is great champion and coped immediately with more power.
Crutchlow said riding it is problematic (or something along the lines).

OK, so the top end is stronger now, more top speed and better acceleration on 5th and 6th. Anything below this is electronically restricted and the full power is not used - and wasn't used before. So how exactly makes this change bike harder to ride and how it "completely changes the nature of bike" as some have alleged?
My BS meter is on high. Honda praising their champ, not surprising, is it? Crutchlow telling how hard he has to work - hardly a scientific argument.

I'm all ears if someone can shed some light on this "harder to ride" business.
Keshav likes this.
clarkjw is offline  
November 15th, 2019, 12:14 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2017
From: Acadiana

Posts: 344
Likes: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkjw View Post
I suspect this has been addressed but...

More power and torque = more engine braking = more pitch / overloaded front = more bracing/stiffness = less front end feel.
This is BS. Well, technically yes, if you have got bigger engine then there is more engine braking power. But as long as the displacement and compression ratio remain the same there is no difference in engine braking. More power is achieved by burning more fuel or burning it in a more efficient way. These factors do not influence engine braking power.
Segfault is offline  
November 15th, 2019, 12:15 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 9,948
Likes: 1628

I Ride: Triiumph Tiger XCx 800 + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Exactly. When I was selling off a couple of supermotos, I had to explain to potential buyers why the KTM was a better engine than say a DRZ or even some comparable Huskys, because it has much less engine braking than street bikes which (assuming one has developed braking skills) makes for much more settled turn entry. When folks talk about the merits of two-strokes vs four-strokes, that is a point that many people miss. Personally - I think that's a big part of why so many guys who came up in the two-stroke era are so much better on the brakes.
Keshav is offline  
November 15th, 2019, 12:32 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2017
From: Acadiana

Posts: 344
Likes: 111

Exactly what?
Are you trying to tell us MotoGP bike is like a spaceship which uses fuel for slowing down? I've got news for you.
1. Displacement of MotoGP engine cannot be changed, it is set by rules.
2. Internal combustion engine does not use fuel for engine braking.
Segfault is offline  
November 15th, 2019, 01:36 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
yamfan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2016
From: Uk

Posts: 770
Likes: 384

When Honda built the more powerful 2019 bike they had to use a new chassis with an extensively modified steering head area, in order to get the improved air flow through and into the airbox.
Unfortunately they didnít envisage the instability during braking and turning that this would cause. The 2019 engine isnít compatible with the 2018 chassis either so it wasnít an easy remedy either.
Marquez was pragmatic deciding he could live with the problems as he felt the power gain was worth it. Heís got around a lot by hammering on the rear brakes to calm the bike and has even tried the scooter style rear brake since taking the title.
Lorenzo and Crutchlow didnít adapt as well and have struggled all year, Lorenzo suffering crashes that have led to his retirement.
All riders have complained, Cal in particular has been very vocal on BT Sports.
Hopefully 2020 will see a much improved bike!
Keshav and Mick D like this.
yamfan is offline  
November 15th, 2019, 02:16 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: USA

Posts: 609
Likes: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
This is BS. Well, technically yes, if you have got bigger engine then there is more engine braking power. But as long as the displacement and compression ratio remain the same there is no difference in engine braking. More power is achieved by burning more fuel or burning it in a more efficient way. These factors do not influence engine braking power.
lots of other factors, anything that rotates can factor in to the engine braking, size and weight of the components, gearing, any number of ratios, even how the throttle bodies are positioned. Motogp bikes also have engine braking controls, granted its more primitive these days with the unified software, though depending on how the butterflies are designed will change how the bikes engine braking works.
Hollywood is offline  
November 15th, 2019, 03:56 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: Norah Head

Posts: 9,472
Likes: 1019

I Ride: Many
Um guys ...... engine braking is electroncally tuned is it not?
BarryMachine is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
repsol, ride



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who wants to buy Repsol? Now available in the UK lubricantesuk Marketplace 0 January 12th, 2015 03:37 AM
Repsol and Argentina GP skaface MotoGP 9 November 26th, 2012 02:34 PM
Ride On Rossi Ride On xx CURVE xx MotoGP 104 November 10th, 2010 03:16 PM
repsol honda frosty58 MotoGP 13 August 13th, 2009 07:44 PM
Repsol Geonerd MotoGP 3 March 19th, 2009 06:51 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2019 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.