MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree32Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
November 4th, 2019, 07:48 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 9,932
Likes: 1621

I Ride: Triiumph Tiger XCx 800 + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto vudu View Post
Perks of having won 3 championships in the premier class.
Maybe for the fans. With the pragmatic billion dollar businesses, it's "What have you done for me lately?"
Keshav is offline  
 
November 4th, 2019, 07:50 AM   #72
Member
 
Joined: Jan 2016
From: Houston

Posts: 88
Likes: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Mang View Post
I hope Yamaha sign Rossi for another two years and the Petronas team outperforms the factory team just to see Yamaha and that rat face Jarvis fail.
And MM can win his 10th crown while the king is watching..... I mean he wont be seeing much during the race because he is so far back defending is 11th position but he gets to see it at home if luccio records it for him.
cucoloco is offline  
November 4th, 2019, 12:30 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
Little Walter's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: Stratosphere

Posts: 751
Likes: 328

I Ride: Whatever I can steal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
Here is how MM crash unfolds. As we know now Keshav is the standard of human capabilities. What he cannot do nobody can. So we have to assume there is a Guardian Angel in action every time MM crashes.
The first picture shows how this Guardian Angel lets Marc to get upright and step on his bike.
Second shows how his GA lets him land on his foot.
Third picture illustrates how GA managed to override Marc's natural reflexes and to avoid breaking his wrists pulls his hands towards his body, so the impact goes to the heavily padded elbows instead.
Photos are like religious tenets in that they can be interpreted in myriad ways.

Photo #1 I The Great Super Marc will now descend from the heavens and pin the motorcycle to the ground to keep it from hitting a passing rider.

Photo #2 "Hey, wait for me, I want donuts too. I'm running as fast as I can."

Photo #3 "The front of my helmet is too darned shiny. Watch me grind off all that excess paint at 120 clicks."

Barring your interpretation and mine, and employing Occam's razor, the most plausible explanation is that he is still a mortal being subject to the laws of gravity, physics and thermodynamics like everyone else.
RCV600RR and Mick D like this.

Last edited by Little Walter; November 4th, 2019 at 12:36 PM.
Little Walter is offline  
November 4th, 2019, 01:05 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2017
From: Acadiana

Posts: 330
Likes: 107

Quote:
Barring your interpretation and mine, and employing Occam's razor, the most plausible explanation is that he is still a mortal being subject to the laws of gravity, physics and thermodynamics like everyone else.
Didn't say he could rip off wings from his bike and using those to fly into pits.
My point is he is not using Keshav-recommended "wet rag" style when he crashes. Look at any of his crashes in slow motion, he always manages to do something to avoid the worst. It is quite unusual in MotoGP, I agree, but in some other sports falling technique is part of routine training.
Segfault is offline  
November 4th, 2019, 01:43 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 9,932
Likes: 1621

I Ride: Triiumph Tiger XCx 800 + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
Didn't say he could rip off wings from his bike and using those to fly into pits.
My point is he is not using Keshav-recommended "wet rag" style when he crashes. Look at any of his crashes in slow motion, he always manages to do something to avoid the worst. It is quite unusual in MotoGP, I agree, but in some other sports falling technique is part of routine training.
As yet you have offered zero in the way of evidence to support your unfounded speculation. Regardless of your insulting tone and your dogmatic insistence, I will continue to reject your faith-based beliefs.

Last edited by Keshav; November 4th, 2019 at 03:05 PM.
Keshav is offline  
November 5th, 2019, 01:15 AM   #76
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,813
Likes: 2223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
As yet you have offered zero in the way of evidence to support your unfounded speculation. Regardless of your insulting tone and your dogmatic insistence, I will continue to reject your faith-based beliefs.
I don’t believe MM will be riding at 30 let alone 40 if he continues riding as he does, and he is going to found out eventually if he continues to highside as he did in the most recent round.

No-one is saying he can highside with impunity because of his “falling” ability however afaik, and I don’t think it is entirely irrational to suggest that the man with possibly the closest to the proverbial cat-like reflexes of any rider in MotoGP history as evidenced by his now almost routine impossible saves can mitigate a crash better than some.
michaelm is online now  
November 5th, 2019, 06:17 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 9,932
Likes: 1621

I Ride: Triiumph Tiger XCx 800 + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I donít believe MM will be riding at 30 let alone 40 if he continues riding as he does, and he is going to found out eventually if he continues to highside as he did in the most recent round.

No-one is saying he can highside with impunity because of his ďfallingĒ ability however afaik, and I donít think it is entirely irrational to suggest that the man with possibly the closest to the proverbial cat-like reflexes of any rider in MotoGP history as evidenced by his now almost routine impossible saves can mitigate a crash better than some.
MM routinely makes front end saves throughout the race to the point where there is a predictability factor. For the most part when he does crash, it's a low-side. In a low-side there is much more unpredictability than one can discern from one's television set. Much like the way it's so hard to get a real sense of how fast the bikes are when watching from a TV monitor.

That unpredictability factor is increased five hundred fold (yes- just a number I made up) in a high-side. You can be sure that MM does is not factoring in the mathematic likelihood of a high-side at any time in the race. He's totally sold on the idea that he will not crash. Ask anyone who's been violently thrown in the air at speed and they will (and have done) tell you, there's no way to manipulate the landing - simply because when you're in the air, there is NOTHING to push against. There is no resisting that kind of violent force. Watch video of astronauts floating around in a space station. Once they push away from a wall (moving at 2 mph) there's some room to change attitude, but alternately, when a rider is launched violently in a normal gravity environment at over 100 mph there's no time for acrobatics. It's just bag of meat being shot out of a cannon.
Keshav is offline  
November 5th, 2019, 10:44 AM   #78
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,813
Likes: 2223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
MM routinely makes front end saves throughout the race to the point where there is a predictability factor. For the most part when he does crash, it's a low-side. In a low-side there is much more unpredictability than one can discern from one's television set. Much like the way it's so hard to get a real sense of how fast the bikes are when watching from a TV monitor.

That unpredictability factor is increased five hundred fold (yes- just a number I made up) in a high-side. You can be sure that MM does is not factoring in the mathematic likelihood of a high-side at any time in the race. He's totally sold on the idea that he will not crash. Ask anyone who's been violently thrown in the air at speed and they will (and have done) tell you, there's no way to manipulate the landing - simply because when you're in the air, there is NOTHING to push against. There is no resisting that kind of violent force. Watch video of astronauts floating around in a space station. Once they push away from a wall (moving at 2 mph) there's some room to change attitude, but alternately, when a rider is launched violently in a normal gravity environment at over 100 mph there's no time for acrobatics. It's just bag of meat being shot out of a cannon.
I am well aware of the laws of physics which you canna change as it is said, the speed with which you are thrown is the speed with which you are thrown, and while I haven’t and will never ride a bike in a race I am aware that high sides are the problematic and much more violent crashes compared with low sides, and that the decreased frequency of same in modern gp bike racing which is likely both a result of and a significant aim of the modern rider aid technology is a significant reason there has been an improvement on the injuriy front.

Of course he can’t continue to get away with high sides like the recent one as I believe I have said several times, and he has been lucky in both this recent crash and several previous ones.if his head/helmet scraping along the ground was a result of any volition of his concerning which Mick D is rightly facetious then it wasn’t a good idea anyway.

I was on board with Jumkie’s application in MM’s early days of the murder Marc soubriquet and the thrust of him labelling MM as slightly autistic, basically referring I think to him being careless of consequences which he was then and continues to be to an extent imo. As you allude to, I am sure he rides with the mind set that he isn’t going to highs side rather than with the belief he can ameliorate high sides and hence they are less of a concern. What is remarkable if not necessarily wise is that he continues to ride the same way. I didn’t expect him to ride conservatively in the race after that massive high side and he probably didn’t.

Last edited by michaelm; November 5th, 2019 at 10:54 AM.
michaelm is online now  
November 5th, 2019, 01:00 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 9,932
Likes: 1621

I Ride: Triiumph Tiger XCx 800 + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I am well aware of the laws of physics which you canna change as it is said, the speed with which you are thrown is the speed with which you are thrown, and while I havenít and will never ride a bike in a race I am aware that high sides are the problematic and much more violent crashes compared with low sides, and that the decreased frequency of same in modern gp bike racing which is likely both a result of and a significant aim of the modern rider aid technology is a significant reason there has been an improvement on the injuriy front.

Of course he canít continue to get away with high sides like the recent one as I believe I have said several times, and he has been lucky in both this recent crash and several previous ones.if his head/helmet scraping along the ground was a result of any volition of his concerning which Mick D is rightly facetious then it wasnít a good idea anyway.


I was on board with Jumkieís application in MMís early days of the murder Marc soubriquet and the thrust of him labelling MM as slightly autistic, basically referring I think to him being careless of consequences which he was then and continues to be to an extent imo. As you allude to, I am sure he rides with the mind set that he isnít going to highs side rather than with the belief he can ameliorate high sides and hence they are less of a concern. What is remarkable if not necessarily wise is that he continues to ride the same way. I didnít expect him to ride conservatively in the race after that massive high side and he probably didnít.
I hope you didn't feel as if I was "lecturing". Just trying to make crystal clear the reasoning behind my position. Honestly I can kind of understand how someone might roll on to the idea that MM has some supernatural power to avoid serious injury considering the frequency of falls and the concurrent velocity. If I had to posit a reason why he (more or less) gets away with it, apposite to Pedrosa's case, I'd say it has to do with body type, same as it probably has for Rossi, tho - like you, in that he's much more reckless than Rossi ever was, I think it's only a matter of time before he incurs a much more debilitating injury. Re: the autism angle; that sounds like something I would have said. I worked as a counselor at a summer camp for autistic kids many years ago, and have a nephew who is a very high-functioning Aspergers case, who ended up working in the Obama White House at age 18 and at age 22 is earning 6 figures working for Google. I'm currently teaching guitar to an autistic kid who is the son of my neighbor. It's a fascinating (if that's the right word) disease.
Keshav is offline  
November 5th, 2019, 02:17 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,813
Likes: 2223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
I hope you didn't feel as if I was "lecturing". Just trying to make crystal clear the reasoning behind my position. Honestly I can kind of understand how someone might roll on to the idea that MM has some supernatural power to avoid serious injury considering the frequency of falls and the concurrent velocity. If I had to posit a reason why he (more or less) gets away with it, apposite to Pedrosa's case, I'd say it has to do with body type, same as it probably has for Rossi, tho - like you, in that he's much more reckless than Rossi ever was, I think it's only a matter of time before he incurs a much more debilitating injury. Re: the autism angle; that sounds like something I would have said. I worked as a counselor at a summer camp for autistic kids many years ago, and have a nephew who is a very high-functioning Aspergers case, who ended up working in the Obama White House at age 18 and at age 22 is earning 6 figures working for Google. I'm currently teaching guitar to an autistic kid who is the son of my neighbor. It's a fascinating (if that's the right word) disease.
It is/they are a complex condition/group of conditions which I don’t understand, and are still not well understood in general afaik. I don’t think Jumkie was actually intending to diagnose MM and I certainly wouldn’t, the gist of his labelling of MM was I believe that Marc”s emotional response to or perception of danger, both his own and the danger to others from him, was rather different from the norm.

I think that one thing which was proposed, that MM has the sangfroid/nervelessness and reflexes to elect to break his fall with his padded elbow rather than his outstretched hand as we are pretty much hardwired to do, is possible. That he can always land cat-like on his feet is I am sure implausible for the reasons you say, and probably a romantic notion.

(EDIT Just read the current edition of AMCN focused on MM’s most recent title win with comments from a number of people from the paddock including fellow riders and Ohlins engineers which included how much training he does and how strong he is, particularly in regard to upper body strength, and from one of the Ohlins guys how everyone thought in his first year that he would have a major crash which would chasten him, but that this hasn’t happened and that he continues to crash then bounce out of the resultant cloud of dust like a rubber doll and sprint back to the pits. Doesn’t mean this will continue forever of course as we have both said ).

Last edited by michaelm; November 6th, 2019 at 01:44 PM.
michaelm is online now  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
2019, malaysia, sepang



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: 4 x MotoGP Sepang Malaysia 2019 Tickets (Main Grandstand) thomasstrand Classifieds 1 October 23rd, 2019 11:23 AM
2018 Shell Malaysia GP Sepang evo9 MotoGP 89 November 7th, 2018 09:16 AM
Sepang Malaysia Test Thread povol MotoGP 385 March 6th, 2011 01:30 AM
MotoGP Test Session 2 - Sepang, Malaysia [Day 1] ultraImAn MotoGP 0 February 22nd, 2011 09:23 AM
Anyone going or been to Sepang, Malaysia GP race? Seabass MotoGP 20 March 23rd, 2010 05:05 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2019 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.