MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
October 19th, 2019, 11:44 PM   #11
Member
 
Repsol 93's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: SoCal

Posts: 93
Likes: 26

I Ride: 2008 CBR1000RR and 1995 CR500
Repsol 93 is offline  
 
October 19th, 2019, 11:49 PM   #12
Member
 
Repsol 93's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: SoCal

Posts: 93
Likes: 26

I Ride: 2008 CBR1000RR and 1995 CR500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJV80 View Post
Not taking anything away from any Moto2 world champions, but having the Moto2 world championship does not guarantee results when transitioning to MotoGP.
Wouldn't having a championship open the doors to a better ride? That should mean faster progress than just experience turning laps on a lower tier machine.
Repsol 93 is offline  
October 20th, 2019, 12:04 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
SlartyBartFast's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Adelaide

Posts: 222
Likes: 99

C'mon Valentino, it's time vacate your seat for someone who deserves an opportunity. You will still be part of the circus management, and you will get even more face time on telle, I promise.
SlartyBartFast is offline  
October 20th, 2019, 12:11 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 1,726
Likes: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJV80 View Post
Not taking anything away from any Moto2 world champions, but having the Moto2 world championship does not guarantee results when transitioning to MotoGP.

Personally, If my goal was to race in MotoGP I'd much rather be the rider with more MotoGP experience mixing it with the big boys, on a superior MotoGP bike and have a premier class win under my belt, than be the same age and be a MotoGP rookie with a Moto2 World Championship to my name.
Itís been a long time since the best riders compete in the smaller classes. Itís a world championship that doesnít really make you the best in the world at anything.

I hope Alex does well if he moves up but he had to wait until a good amount of guys left the class in his fourth year to be in a position to win the championship. Not great signs IMO.
p4p1 is offline  
October 20th, 2019, 12:15 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 1,726
Likes: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol 93 View Post
Wouldn't having a championship open the doors to a better ride? That should mean faster progress than just experience turning laps on a lower tier machine.
Not always. Where did 2x champion Zarco end up? Vinales got his ride without a moto2 championship and then got the Yamaha ride based on his results on another manufacturer in MotoGP. Pol? Hasnít had a ride as good as the one Miller is currently on. Ditto Tito. Morbidelli kind of. Heís on a good ride now but he got that coming off a Honda GP bike rather than his moto2 title.
AJV80 likes this.
p4p1 is offline  
October 20th, 2019, 05:14 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,813
Likes: 2223

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlartyBartFast View Post
C'mon Valentino, it's time vacate your seat for someone who deserves an opportunity. You will still be part of the circus management, and you will get even more face time on telle, I promise.
I thought the same watching the race, with no particular rancour against him currently, what is the point of him racing for a position in the lower reaches of the top 10 ?. Maybe MM is so good he would be destroying prime Rossi and prime Doohan, but 40 year old Rossi and an aging injury plagued Jorge on the wrong bike are not providing any competition however good they may once have been, and I donít think lightning is going to strike twice for Dovi again in terms of actually contending although he probably has more high finishes in the points other than first in him. Petrucci and Miller donít look very likely either. Maybe Vinalesí early races for Yamaha were something of a fluke as well, it is hard to think he is being less than fully backed by Yamaha now after I tended to blame favouritism towards Rossi for his fade out in that first year. FQ and Rins at least look to have good pace, those guys and maybe Morbidelli seem to be the future in the current field.

Uncle Carmelo may still be keen though, and Yamaha struggled for sponsorship while Valentino was at Ducati, but him transitioning to be the Yamaha team principal as you imply might address most of that. I guess being flogged by MM as a team manager may lack appeal for him as well.
SlartyBartFast likes this.
michaelm is online now  
October 20th, 2019, 05:23 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
AJV80's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2016
From: Queensland Australia

Posts: 885
Likes: 544

I Ride: Suzuki GSX-R 750 / Kawasaki Ninja H2
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I thought the same watching the race, with no particular rancour against him currently, what is the point of him racing for a position in the lower reaches of the top 10 ?. Maybe MM is so good he would be destroying prime Rossi and prime Doohan, but 40 year old Rossi and an aging injury plagued Jorge on the wrong bike are not providing any competition however good they may once have been, and I don’t think lightning is going to strike twice for Dovi again in terms of actually contending although he probably has more high finishes in the points other than first in him. Petrucci and Miller don’t look very likely either. Maybe Vinales’ early races for Yamaha were something of a fluke as well, it is hard to think he is being less than fully backed by Yamaha now after I tended to blame favouritism towards Rossi for his fade out in that first year. FQ and Rins at least look to have good pace, those guys and maybe Morbidelli seem to be the future in the current field.

Uncle Carmelo may still be keen though, and Yamaha struggled for sponsorship while Valentino was at Ducati, but him transitioning to be the Yamaha team principal as you imply might address most of that. I guess being flogged by MM as a team manager may lack appeal for him as well.
One thing I did notice today was that when Luca Marini won the Moto2 race Rossi did not even come out to celebrate and shake his brothers hand. Uccio and Max ran out to celebrate with him, but no big brother... seemed a bit rough??? A big contrast compared to Marc who makes a point of always being in Parc Ferme to greet his brother.
AJV80 is offline  
October 20th, 2019, 07:11 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2017
From: Acadiana

Posts: 330
Likes: 107

According to Hodgson Yamaha tested new parts in Misano, on Qartararos's bike. He said the huge influence Rossi had at Yamaha seems fading.

Edit: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/mo...ashes-20658519

I really feel sorry for Vinales. Quite clear poor lad never had a chance.

Last edited by Segfault; October 20th, 2019 at 07:36 AM.
Segfault is offline  
October 20th, 2019, 11:33 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 9,932
Likes: 1621

I Ride: Triiumph Tiger XCx 800 + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJV80 View Post
One thing I did notice today was that when Luca Marini won the Moto2 race Rossi did not even come out to celebrate and shake his brothers hand. Uccio and Max ran out to celebrate with him, but no big brother... seemed a bit rough??? A big contrast compared to Marc who makes a point of always being in Parc Ferme to greet his brother.
Not being all cunty about it - but please don't post spoilers about other races in different threads. I haven't watched the Moto 2 yet.
Keshav is offline  
October 20th, 2019, 11:47 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
AJV80's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2016
From: Queensland Australia

Posts: 885
Likes: 544

I Ride: Suzuki GSX-R 750 / Kawasaki Ninja H2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
Not being all cunty about it - but please don't post spoilers about other races in different threads. I haven't watched the Moto 2 yet.
Shit, sorry mate.
AJV80 is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
2019, grand, japan, motegi, motul, prix



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 - Motul Grand Prix of Japan Twin Ring Motegi Predictions & Race Chat Keshav MotoGP 94 October 24th, 2018 11:51 AM
Japan Grand Prix at Twin Rings of Motegi Iamapony MotoGP 128 October 19th, 2017 10:22 AM
Motul Grand Prix of Japan 2017 Motokitty MotoGP 8 October 6th, 2017 05:24 PM
Motul Grand Prix of Japan 2016 spoilers MdubSTYLIE MotoGP 266 October 25th, 2016 02:45 PM
MotoGP: 2015 Round 15 - Motul Grand Prix of Japan (SPOILERS) budoist MotoGP 170 October 25th, 2015 01:19 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2019 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.