MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree43Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
October 8th, 2019, 09:05 AM   #61
Senior Member
 
povol's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
From: Tennessee

Posts: 10,498
Likes: 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdeal View Post
If I remember correctly, Lin Jarvis recently stated that Rossi retires when Yamaha management decides he does if Valentino hasn't come to that conclusion himself in due time. They just didn't give an indication of when. I agree that his time has passed and probably did so a number of years ago.

If Lin Jarvis was the CEO of a company the board would have gotten rid of him a long time ago based upon his results. He has overseen the loss of a champion rider, the pandering to another based upon non performance related factors, and the year on year sub standard performance of the team based upon the industry accepted metrics (wins and championships). He has been nicking a wage for years now.

The entire race department needs an overhaul, from the top down.
To his credit ,Lin Jarvis did not want Rossi back in 13 but was overruled by marketing because Yamaha didn’t have a sponsor n 2012, but won the title anyway. Jarvis knew bringing Rossi back would be trouble and was more than happy to continue on with Lorenzo and Spies who got along and was doing well as a team.
povol is offline  
 
October 8th, 2019, 09:30 AM   #62
Senior Member
 
povol's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
From: Tennessee

Posts: 10,498
Likes: 1663

What can you say about Marquez. Beaten up, doesn’t have to win to clinch title, but goes balls out risking further damage because it’s much cooler to be crowned champion while on the top step. Fabio may or may not be the guy to beat Marc. We haven’t seen what happens when you have to finish on the podium and you have to win 4-5 races. When 5-6-7-8th place finishes are not allowed because once you have a couple of of those, you go from being 15-20 points down to 40 down, then he wins 2-3 in a row and buries you.Marc is putting pressure on these guys to be damn near perfect just to have a shot. Most can’t handle it and crack. Rossi cracked, Lorenzo cracked, Dovi has succumbed . Now that Marc has vanquished the strongest list of competitors in the GP era , if the next group of generational talents don’t come soon, you could see Marc reel off 4-5 seasons in a row like this one with 10+ wins and runaway championships.
michaelm and Gaz like this.
povol is offline  
October 8th, 2019, 10:05 AM   #63
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: USA

Posts: 576
Likes: 197

Rossiwil retire when Rossi wants to retire, even if Yamaha gave him the axe, he still has the sponsors and the money either for another team or himself.

of the current crop of recent moto2 grads not one has been able to be competitive on a bike that was not an I4 machine (Yamaha, Suzuki). are any combination of those riders/bikes able to take down Marquez?
Hollywood is offline  
October 8th, 2019, 01:36 PM   #64
Senior Member
 
povol's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
From: Tennessee

Posts: 10,498
Likes: 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Rossiwil retire when Rossi wants to retire, even if Yamaha gave him the axe, he still has the sponsors and the money either for another team or himself.

of the current crop of recent moto2 grads not one has been able to be competitive on a bike that was not an I4 machine (Yamaha, Suzuki). are any combination of those riders/bikes able to take down Marquez?
Here is another tidbit of Moto 2 trivia . The class has been around 10 years and not one champion graduate has recorded a win in Moto GP except Marquez . Elías has a win but that was before he went to Moto2.
povol is offline  
October 8th, 2019, 01:58 PM   #65
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,765
Likes: 2207

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by povol View Post
Here is another tidbit of Moto 2 trivia . The class has been around 10 years and not one champion graduate has recorded a win in Moto GP except Marquez . Elías has a win but that was before he went to Moto2.
I guess the talent of Rins and Vinales was recognised and they were signed to the premier class, no reason to think they couldn’t have won moto 2 if they had hung around in that class.

But sure, we may have returned to the situation which applied when the great American super bike riders came to 500 gp racing where the junior classes are perhaps not all that good a preparation for riding in the premier class.

What is also true is that even Marc started on a 125 rather than on what imo are ersatz race bikes in moto 2 and moto 3. MM is of course rather an impediment to anyone who has followed him winning a title.

Last edited by michaelm; October 9th, 2019 at 12:21 AM.
michaelm is offline  
October 8th, 2019, 11:05 PM   #66
Senior Member
 
Mick D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: Thailand

Posts: 5,339
Likes: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJV80 View Post
Yeah, Yamaha where in a real rut when Zarco was riding for them. I wonder how much of that impacted his results?

The series really needs someone like Fabio who can take the fight to Marc.
I have yet to see any legitimate evidence that FQ is the one to "take the fight" to MM. Facts/evidence I do see: FQ has shown potential in his first season, not dissimilar to JZ; FQ showed this same potential in RB Rookies cup, then basically disappeared in Moto3/2... I await more evidence.
Gaz likes this.
Mick D is offline  
October 9th, 2019, 06:42 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,765
Likes: 2207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick D View Post
I have yet to see any legitimate evidence that FQ is the one to "take the fight" to MM. Facts/evidence I do see: FQ has shown potential in his first season, not dissimilar to JZ; FQ showed this same potential in RB Rookies cup, then basically disappeared in Moto3/2... I await more evidence.
Certainly challenging MM is a huge leap, very few (? any) who have ever ridden are likely on a par with him for talent and drive, and he is now an experienced and mature rider as well.

FQ is not exactly looking like chopped liver against Valentino and Vinales who are also on Yamahas though, so perhaps we at least have some hope for the future where he is concerned.
michaelm is offline  
October 9th, 2019, 09:14 AM   #68
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 9,868
Likes: 1591

I Ride: Triiumph Tiger XCx 800 + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by povol View Post
Here is another tidbit of Moto 2 trivia . The class has been around 10 years and not one champion graduate has recorded a win in Moto GP except Marquez . Elías has a win but that was before he went to Moto2.
Conversely - a number of non-championship winners have gone on to stand on the top step of the podium. Fact is, the field is packed with serious talent, and has been said ad infinitum, Marquez has vastly stacked the odds against all other riders, not just Moto 2 champs.

Personally - I think the field being so insanely large in Moto 2 is not especially good for that particular class. Way too much chaos and a greatly reduced chance for riders who don't necessarily qualify well, to come from behind. The field to the rear of the first 10 or 15 riders is a shit show, especially because the equipment is so close spec-wise.
Keshav is online now  
October 9th, 2019, 10:20 AM   #69
Senior Member
 
povol's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
From: Tennessee

Posts: 10,498
Likes: 1663

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
Conversely - a number of non-championship winners have gone on to stand on the top step of the podium. Fact is, the field is packed with serious talent, and has been said ad infinitum, Marquez has vastly stacked the odds against all other riders, not just Moto 2 champs.

Personally - I think the field being so insanely large in Moto 2 is not especially good for that particular class. Way too much chaos and a greatly reduced chance for riders who don't necessarily qualify well, to come from behind. The field to the rear of the first 10 or 15 riders is a shit show, especially because the equipment is so close spec-wise.
Yep, the point is, being Moto2 champion and having a dollar will get you a cup of coffee . Most of your Moto2 champs were long time entrants in the category and almost won by attrition whereas even though they didn’t win titles, riders like Vinales showed immediate talent and are moved up. You look at Rabat, Zarco, Morbidelli and this year A Marquez, and they all spent 4-5-6 years in the series before breaking out where Marc, Rins, Vinales all were in the thick immediately . It’s a pretty good indicator, if you have a young rider come into a series and immediately contending, it’s a decent bet that his career is going to be better than the rider who takes 4-5 years to get the situation in his favor.
Gaz and misfit like this.
povol is offline  
October 9th, 2019, 10:52 AM   #70
Member
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2019
From: Wales, UK

Posts: 81
Likes: 36

I Ride: A bicycle. Heehee
It would seem that this year especially, it has been really difficult for riders to mount a consistent challenge race weekend after weekend. I think it has a lot to do with the tyres and the unique requirements of each weekend, wedded with the characteristics of each bike and each riders comfort. It's amazing how MM and Honda managed to field a competitive package every single race weekend. MM seems to be not only one hell of a rider, but one that works very well with his engineers.
Mick D likes this.
misfit is online now  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
2019, chang, chat, discuss, intl, ptt, race, thailand



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: MOTO GP BURIRAM 2019 THAILAND Puru Classifieds 0 September 23rd, 2019 11:50 PM
2018 PTT Thailand Grand Prix Predictions + Race Chat Keshav MotoGP 214 October 11th, 2018 02:49 AM
2018 Gran Premio Movistar de Aragón Predictions + Race Chat Keshav MotoGP 167 September 29th, 2018 12:34 PM
Go-Pro British Grand Prix - Silverstone 2018 Predictions & Race Chat Keshav MotoGP 85 August 30th, 2018 10:01 PM
WSBk and WSS Thailand Chang International Circuit (Spoilers) Arrabbiata1 World Superbike 8 March 14th, 2017 01:13 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2019 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.