MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree47Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
May 27th, 2019, 12:16 PM   #1
Member
 
Joined: May 2019
From: Mansfield UK

Posts: 46
Likes: 1

I Ride: Honda z50r with my grandkids
An interesting thing

Occurred to me and wonder if anyone else has thought about it....
Consider this, if championships were decided on how a rider progressed from grid position to finishing position I'd say Valentino Rossi would've wiped the floor with Marquez...

Honda also bent the rules as far as I can see to suit themselves with Marquez as they'd already signed him up before they tabled the rule that rookies had to progress through satellite teams first.
996bp is offline  
 
May 27th, 2019, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
AJV80's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2016
From: Queensland Australia

Posts: 873
Likes: 534

I Ride: Suzuki GSX-R 750 / Kawasaki Ninja H2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996bp View Post
Occurred to me and wonder if anyone else has thought about it....
Consider this, if championships were decided on how a rider progressed from grid position to finishing position I'd say Valentino Rossi would've wiped the floor with Marquez...

Honda also bent the rules as far as I can see to suit themselves with Marquez as they'd already signed him up before they tabled the rule that rookies had to progress through satellite teams first.
Rossi sure can manage a race well I agree, but he has always been known for poor qualifying so he has had a lot of practice.
Theo likes this.
AJV80 is offline  
May 27th, 2019, 01:47 PM   #3
Member
 
Joined: May 2019
From: Mansfield UK

Posts: 46
Likes: 1

I Ride: Honda z50r with my grandkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJV80 View Post
Rossi sure can manage a race well I agree, but he has always been known for poor qualifying so he has had a lot of practice.
Not sure you understood my method of understanding here....

If you took every riders start position over every race start for many years back
you would see Rossi has made the best finish of everyone out there...

Marques just goes for pole then just like F1 1st into the 1st corner wins it..
Bloody boring little sxxt
996bp is offline  
May 27th, 2019, 02:01 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
AJV80's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2016
From: Queensland Australia

Posts: 873
Likes: 534

I Ride: Suzuki GSX-R 750 / Kawasaki Ninja H2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996bp View Post
Not sure you understood my method of understanding here....

If you took every riders start position over every race start for many years back
you would see Rossi has made the best finish of everyone out there...

Marques just goes for pole then just like F1 1st into the 1st corner wins it..
Bloody boring little sxxt
Yeah I knew what you meant. It does get boring when Marc poles it and then trailblazes from lap 1.

Imagine if the championship was decided on who qualified the worst and finished right up the back somewhere anyway? Karel Abraham would be on his way to topping Rossi’s world championship tally, mind you he would be having a close title fight with Asif Syahrin this year.
Theo likes this.
AJV80 is offline  
May 27th, 2019, 03:46 PM   #5
Member
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2019
From: Wales, UK

Posts: 81
Likes: 36

I Ride: A bicycle. Heehee
The reverse grid policy could well work in MotoGP!
misfit is offline  
May 27th, 2019, 09:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Barbedwirebikerr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: FNQ

Posts: 929
Likes: 695

I Ride: DRZ400E
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
The reverse grid policy could well work in MotoGP!
That'd be carnage.
Theo likes this.
Barbedwirebikerr is offline  
May 28th, 2019, 12:13 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Theo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Chertsey, Surrey, UK

Posts: 1,857
Likes: 331

I Ride: A bicycle.
Might give Lorenzo a chance
AJV80 and Havey like this.
Theo is offline  
May 28th, 2019, 08:08 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 1,708
Likes: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996bp View Post
Occurred to me and wonder if anyone else has thought about it....
Consider this, if championships were decided on how a rider progressed from grid position to finishing position I'd say Valentino Rossi would've wiped the floor with Marquez...

Honda also bent the rules as far as I can see to suit themselves with Marquez as they'd already signed him up before they tabled the rule that rookies had to progress through satellite teams first.
When you say bent the rules, youíre talking about a rule that was in for 5 years at most and never effected any rider who actually had a chance at going to a factory team. It was always a shit rule and the satellite teams as we as the factories didnít like it.

Not that strange really. One guy qualifies as well as he races, the other races better than he qualifies. Itís hard to see why a championship would be awarded based on mediocrity on Saturdayís though.
p4p1 is online now  
May 28th, 2019, 08:10 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 1,708
Likes: 700

Valentino Rossi - World champion of overtaking non championship contenders.

It is kind of boring when Marquez checks out after the first corner. Maybe the others should try to ride faster? I do remember a time not so long ago when’s marquez didn’t check out, Rossi fans didn’t seem to like that either....
p4p1 is online now  
May 28th, 2019, 11:38 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Aw Mang's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2016
From: Mongolia

Posts: 192
Likes: 109

So whatís the point of qualifying to get the highest grid position?
Aw Mang is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
interesting, thing



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One thing i regret J708 MotoGP 10 July 28th, 2009 05:20 AM
Best thing next to popcorn! Cheburaha MotoGP 6 May 20th, 2006 05:54 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2019 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.