MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree116Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
March 13th, 2019, 11:30 AM   #131
Senior Member
 
evo9's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
From: USA

Posts: 967
Likes: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4p1 View Post
I can’t remember if I’ve had this mandatory whinge yet but I fucking hate the artificial closeness the tyres provide sometimes. Watching Dovi (and maybe Marquez) slow the pace so they had tyres for the last few laps is fucking boring. Give them good tyres so the riders can actually push for a larger part of the race. All this finished so close to the leader stuff is bullshit when the leader is lapping a second or so slower than he’s capable of nearly all race because otherwise the tyres won’t last.
I'm with you on this. This crap tire & stone age ECU is completely daft in my opinion. This is prototype racing, set limitation on the amount each factory can spend per year. That way the factory teams are not running away from the satellite teams. Heck, I would even suggest for the use of their own preparatory ECU/software. Each factory team must support their satellite teams up to 75% operating cost. The racing would remain close but without the bullshit of rider slowing the pace down. Innovation in the engine, electronics and other aspect of the machine would continue thru out each season. But it would be control due the annual cap & operating cost to the satellite teams.





.
Iamapony likes this.

Last edited by evo9; March 13th, 2019 at 11:44 AM.
evo9 is offline  
 
March 13th, 2019, 12:35 PM   #132
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 9,677
Likes: 1497

I Ride: DRZ400sm + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo9 View Post
I'm with you on this. This crap tire & stone age ECU is completely daft in my opinion. This is prototype racing, set limitation on the amount each factory can spend per year. That way the factory teams are not running away from the satellite teams. Heck, I would even suggest for the use of their own preparatory ECU/software. Each factory team must support their satellite teams up to 75% operating cost. The racing would remain close but without the bullshit of rider slowing the pace down. Innovation in the engine, electronics and other aspect of the machine would continue thru out each season. But it would be control due the annual cap & operating cost to the satellite teams.

.
That's a nice idea - but impossible to enforce. There's just too many ways to hide spending. Moreover - smaller or newer teams would continually be at the back of the progress parade because the big guys have greater experience and resources.

Look at how many years and how much money Ducati has invested and still only one championship to their name - and that was really the doing of a freak talent. Personally - I would love to see Suzuki, KTM and Aprilia catch up with Honda and Ducati. And BTW - look at how badly Yamaha is falling behind - despite decades of experience. Wouldn't you (or anyone) want to see 4 or 5 companies with equal (more or less) chances to be competitive? It wouldn't kill the sport to let the tire guys catch up too. There's be less crashing and fewer top talents limping around all busted up. Some people think prototype should be all or nothing - but there needs to be compromise - for so many reasons.

I love the idea of a tire that doesn't have to be conserved for the last few laps - but also wonder really how much that would impact the show. Folks assume that w better tires the riders would be slicing and dicing throughout the race - but that's a big assumption. The wait-till-the-end-of-the-race-and-pull-the-pin strategy, didn't just come into play recently. Even when bikes were running the best of the Bridgestone tires this happened.

Personally - I think prototyping for the sake of prototyping is over emphasized. The bikes are at a point already where they're making more power than is usable with current tire technology and lets face it - tire technology has got a low ceiling which engine tech can surpass any day with both hands tied behind it's back.

I'd like to see better broadcasting technology come along that'd be capable of truly expressing the power and nuance of MotoGp as experienced LIVE - where regardless of how jaded and blasé you are - it's never boring.
Mick D and ratdeal like this.
Keshav is online now  
March 13th, 2019, 12:46 PM   #133
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2011
From: London

Posts: 197
Likes: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
I'd like to see better broadcasting technology come along that'd be capable of truly expressing the power and nuance of MotoGp as experienced LIVE - where regardless of how jaded and blasé you are - it's never boring.
VR technology already exists, but as you say its the broadcasting and camera technology that needs to catch up now. I'd say we are a good few years away from that being the main stream.

Last edited by ratdeal; March 13th, 2019 at 01:19 PM.
ratdeal is offline  
March 14th, 2019, 09:29 AM   #134
Senior Member
 
Iamapony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: Santa Cruz, Cal

Posts: 642
Likes: 244

I Ride: BMW, Honda, and another Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by #22 View Post
.....
"Unless the rulebook states specifically that you can do it, then you CANNOT!"
MotoGP reads the opposite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdeal View Post
After all the petulance he has shown in the last 12 months I can't say I'm rooting for Maverick, I expect Rins and a few others may show him a clean pair of heels this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
With riders competing with historically close lap times now, mental fortitude becomes that much more important to being competitive. I just don’t think Vinales has it.
I have never been a fan of MV. I always thought he was over-rated. Maybe he matches his teammate. Yamaha may be toasted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbedwirebikerr View Post
Lorenzo focused to compete in Argentina MotoGP race despite rib injury]
Geebuz, this guy is tough. I don't think I have ever had cracked ribs that healed that fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4p1 View Post
I can’t remember if I’ve had this mandatory whinge yet but I fucking hate the artificial closeness the tyres provide sometimes. Watching Dovi (and maybe Marquez) slow the pace so they had tyres for the last few laps is fucking boring. Give them good tyres so the riders can actually push for a larger part of the race. All this finished so close to the leader stuff is bullshit when the leader is lapping a second or so slower than he’s capable of nearly all race because otherwise the tyres won’t last.
Catch 22. If the tires would last all race, then they will probably be going more than a second a lap slower, anyway. I am not sure how much DORNA has influenced the Michelin product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo9 View Post
I'm with you on this. This crap tire & stone age ECU is completely daft in my opinion. This is prototype racing, set limitation on the amount each factory can spend per year. That way the factory teams are not running away from the satellite teams. ....
This reflects my opinion. It's too NASCAR like. I want to see the best technology even if the winner runs away from the field. But most people seem to prefer closer racing, even if it is fake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdeal View Post
VR technology already exists, but as you say its the broadcasting and camera technology that needs to catch up now. I'd say we are a good few years away from that being the main stream.
I am not sure what you consider "virtual reality", but it reminds me of a a kid at a track day at Laguna Seca. He was an experienced track rider and claimed he had Laguna wired because he had played "MotoGP Laguna Seca" for days and days. I passed him on the second lap by about 20mph, and he crashed on the third lap. His virtual reality became very real in double quick time.
Iamapony is offline  
March 14th, 2019, 02:59 PM   #135
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2011
From: London

Posts: 197
Likes: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamapony View Post
I am not sure what you consider "virtual reality", but it reminds me of a a kid at a track day at Laguna Seca. He was an experienced track rider and claimed he had Laguna wired because he had played "MotoGP Laguna Seca" for days and days. I passed him on the second lap by about 20mph, and he crashed on the third lap. His virtual reality became very real in double quick time.
As in you plonk down in an armchair and stick the VR headset on. Next thing you know its transported you trackside. It would go from corner to corner with the perfect vantage point. And the bikes would feel close enough to touch. That's where the technology is heading in my opinion.

The BBC tried something similar during the world cup that gave you a plum seat in the stands. It was crap though, much better on zitelli!
SlartyBartFast likes this.

Last edited by ratdeal; March 14th, 2019 at 03:03 PM.
ratdeal is offline  
March 15th, 2019, 03:33 AM   #136
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Adelaide

Posts: 204
Likes: 95

I look forward to this very much. What a fantastic way to view the race. I would pay for that experience.
SlartyBartFast is offline  
March 15th, 2019, 06:40 AM   #137
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2011
From: London

Posts: 197
Likes: 119

As soon as VR is mainstream (a generation away so only 5 years IMO) I reckon it'll be good enough to give a proper on-board in 3D too. That would be quality.
ratdeal is offline  
March 15th, 2019, 07:02 AM   #138
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2007
From: Brazil

Posts: 735
Likes: 53

Dalligna threating protest against Honda in next races because of possible movable wings that confers more speed in straight and it's prohibited.

https://www.gpone.com/it/2019/03/15/...la-stalla.html



"I was quite surprised, especially by the behavior of Honda, who are not only a protagonist of the World Cup, but also among the founding fathers of modern MotoGP, along with Ducati and Yamaha. So far, we have clarified all technical discussions within the manufacturers' association MSMA or in discussion with the Technical Director. We have always found an answer to all the questions the manufacturers have gradually introduced. The fact that Honda doubts the decision of the Technical Director, asks us whether we are protesting against them: The wings of the Honda are dangerous in our view. And not only that, their construction with a very thin base could cause them to be deformed by the forces acting on them and perhaps be movable attachments. "That would be prohibited by the regulations.

"We never considered launching a protest, but if someone, especially Honda, questions Technical Director Danny Aldridge's approach, it puts us in a position to think about a possible protest at the next race," added the Ducati Corse General Manager.

The danger is that there will soon be protests every race weekend, warned Dall'Igna. "Because this situation completely overrides what was the rules of the MotoGP World Championship from its beginnings to today."

The Ducati Racing Director and Aerodynamic Fox is still convinced that his latest development at the Desmosedici GP19 complies with the regulations. That's another reason why the Italian manufacturer was not impressed by the competition.

"That's something that surprised us. First and foremost, the way our competitors prevent us from doing our job - to try to counter Honda and Márquez. This seems to us absolutely unjust and totally unsportsmanlike », the Italian finds clear words for the behavior of the opposing manufacturers. "It is a turnabout that I would call epochal, even more epochal than the change from two- to four-stroke."

Dall'Igna: "I hope that this protest is only an episode that leads to a comprehensive consideration of all sides - and does something good for the sport. Behaviors like Doha harm sports, they take credibility from the World Association and the World Cup. That's bad for all the people who live and believe in this sport, who enjoy watching television, whenever Dovizioso does something as beautiful as Doha. "

- Mehr bei SPEEDWEEK: http://www.speedweek.com/motogp/news...-moeglich.html
Theo likes this.

Last edited by gui22a; March 15th, 2019 at 07:07 AM.
gui22a is offline  
March 15th, 2019, 08:53 AM   #139
Senior Member
 
Iamapony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: Santa Cruz, Cal

Posts: 642
Likes: 244

I Ride: BMW, Honda, and another Honda
From the same on-line magazine: Suzuki, Aprilia, et al protest Ducati wing
In a nutshell: The other teams did not like the appendage before the race. They didn't like Danny Aldrige's take on it. The teams went to Ducati BEFORE the race and said they would protest, if Ducati used it, because even if Danny said okay, it went against the agreement the teams made about aerodynamics last year.
Iamapony is offline  
March 15th, 2019, 09:05 AM   #140
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2011
From: London

Posts: 197
Likes: 119

So we have decended into all out war...

I'm with Ducati on this IF they do indeed have data to support their solution. I also think that the Japanese are in for a shock if they think the Italians will roll over without a fight.

Again with the "spirit of the rules" bullshit. Any agreement the manufacturers have has been written into the regulations. Anything outside of, but not in contravention of the regulations is legal. The other manufacturers just don't want to begin development in an area of the sport they aren't well versed in. There is a reason the other bikes share fundamental commonality - it is the Japanese approach. The Italians can only compete with that level of evolutionary refinement by making large revolutionary steps and the Japanese factories don't like being shown up for having a decidedly traditionalist philosophy to machine design.
gui22a, michaelm, Keshav and 1 others like this.
ratdeal is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
2019, doha, losail, qatar, race, raceway



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AMA Rd 2: INFINEON Raceway Jumkie World Superbike 59 May 29th, 2011 09:38 AM
AMA Infineon Raceway Jumkie World Superbike 20 May 24th, 2010 10:01 PM
No Qatar Race J708 MotoGP 35 April 8th, 2010 11:45 PM
Race One - Qatar 10/3/07 HiMyNameIsDan MotoGP 54 March 11th, 2007 10:02 PM
Brainerd International Raceway Mattack Motorsports 2 August 2nd, 2006 11:15 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2019 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.