MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Holypuck
  • 3 Post By AntG
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
November 15th, 2018, 09:23 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Theo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Chertsey, Surrey, UK

Posts: 1,540
Likes: 291

I Ride: A bicycle.
Dani Pedrosa

I've never seen this before, a legend before you retire?
Surely that should be after the race on Sunday.
Theo is offline  
 
November 16th, 2018, 02:11 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Holypuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: Italy

Posts: 548
Likes: 446

I Ride: Honda CRF250 (modified for Dirt Track)
I'll probably get a lot of flak for saying this but I think he is a legend indeed.

He had a pristine career and only bad luck didn't allow him to clinch at least 1 premier class title.
RCV600RR and danski like this.
Holypuck is offline  
November 16th, 2018, 02:15 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Theo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Chertsey, Surrey, UK

Posts: 1,540
Likes: 291

I Ride: A bicycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holypuck View Post
I'll probably get a lot of flak for saying this but I think he is a legend indeed.

He had a pristine career and only bad luck didn't allow him to clinch at least 1 premier class title.
Certainly is when you look at some of the people who have been made Legends
Theo is offline  
November 28th, 2018, 11:33 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Iamapony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: Santa Cruz, Cal

Posts: 600
Likes: 224

I Ride: BMW, Honda, and another Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holypuck View Post
I'll probably get a lot of flak for saying this but I think he is a legend indeed.

He had a pristine career and only bad luck didn't allow him to clinch at least 1 premier class title.
Okay, well pristine if you ignore him taking out Hayden, when his teammate was fighting for the championship. And you ignore that he took himself out in P.I. when he was fighting for the championship. Otherwise, I will only give him a one/half "pristine" since he had all of HRC on his side and couldn't ever get the job done. As far as other "legends" go, he is as good as some already there. So if you are grading on some fan curve then, yep he belongs. Pretty soon that section will be bigger than the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.
Iamapony is offline  
November 29th, 2018, 12:24 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Holypuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: Italy

Posts: 548
Likes: 446

I Ride: Honda CRF250 (modified for Dirt Track)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamapony View Post
Okay, well pristine if you ignore him taking out Hayden, when his teammate was fighting for the championship. And you ignore that he took himself out in P.I. when he was fighting for the championship. Otherwise, I will only give him a one/half "pristine" since he had all of HRC on his side and couldn't ever get the job done. As far as other "legends" go, he is as good as some already there. So if you are grading on some fan curve then, yep he belongs. Pretty soon that section will be bigger than the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.


He did not take out Hayden on purpose. He was a rookie that year and made a mistake, which is a common thing for rookies.

Never in his racing life was he "hard" on a rider and IMHO a single incident does not influence a 15+ year racing career. And believe me I was (probably the only person in Italy ) really rooting for Hayden in '06 and vividly remember how pissed I was when it happened...

However. Every year except 2018 (so we are talking from 2001 to 2017) Dani has won at least one race per season. That alone makes a career pretty fucking pristine in my opinion

Last edited by Holypuck; November 29th, 2018 at 12:31 AM.
Holypuck is offline  
November 29th, 2018, 02:07 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,614
Likes: 2128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holypuck View Post
He did not take out Hayden on purpose. He was a rookie that year and made a mistake, which is a common thing for rookies.

Never in his racing life was he "hard" on a rider and IMHO a single incident does not influence a 15+ year racing career. And believe me I was (probably the only person in Italy ) really rooting for Hayden in '06 and vividly remember how pissed I was when it happened...

However. Every year except 2018 (so we are talking from 2001 to 2017) Dani has won at least one race per season. That alone makes a career pretty fucking pristine in my opinion
While obviously not deliberate (it pretty much kiboshed his slim mathematical chance for the title apart from anything else) it was an absolutely ridiculous attempted move though. Back in the day I blamed Puig for charging him up pre-race.
michaelm is offline  
November 29th, 2018, 03:49 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Holypuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: Italy

Posts: 548
Likes: 446

I Ride: Honda CRF250 (modified for Dirt Track)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
While obviously not deliberate (it pretty much kiboshed his slim mathematical chance for the title apart from anything else) it was an absolutely ridiculous attempted move though. Back in the day I blamed Puig for charging him up pre-race.

Of course, but again: is it enough to stain his career? Cmon guys
Holypuck is offline  
November 29th, 2018, 05:32 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,614
Likes: 2128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holypuck View Post
Of course, but again: is it enough to stain his career? Cmon guys
I agree, he was one of the more honorable guys out there over his career as a whole. Stoner was the cause of a crash that took out several riders the same year, crashing in a corner which took out following riders, but was pretty much a paragon for respecting fellow riders during races anyway after that, so I can’t really condemn one and exonerate the other.

Jumkie, a great and prolific poster who sadly no longer engages in the forum was the ultimate Hayden tragic, and took a long time to recover from that Pedrosa torpedo on Hayden, but even he softened towards Pedrosa in recent years.
michaelm is offline  
November 29th, 2018, 06:08 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 1,337
Likes: 641

An accident, a racing accident, that's all there was to it, I wouldn't give a damn if my teammate was fighting for the title, a racer wants to win. That's where I lost respect for Colin Edwards, he was a ferocious racer when racing with guys like Foggy and Bayliss, then got a top ride in GP and was happy just to kiss ass and roll out funny quotes for the journos.

Pedro's a great racer, 125cc 2x250cc champion, one of the best riders never to win the big bike class who maybe in a weaker era may well have won several.
AntG is online now  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
dani, pedrosa



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dani Pedrosa is a... J708 MotoGP 114 September 7th, 2009 07:58 PM
Dani Pedrosa? D Wheeler MotoGP 156 September 24th, 2007 04:39 AM
Dani Pedrosa... louise MotoGP 34 March 25th, 2007 11:35 AM
Dani Pedrosa valentinorossi MotoGP 23 March 16th, 2007 08:19 AM
Dani Pedrosa Austin MotoGP 1 May 17th, 2005 12:08 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.