MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree46Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
November 22nd, 2018, 01:10 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
Holypuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: Italy

Posts: 548
Likes: 446

I Ride: Honda CRF250 (modified for Dirt Track)
back to far more interesting topics.

Zarco basically said that the KTM sucks...

https://www.gpone.com/it/2018/11/21/...spettassi.html

"The KTM is a lot worse than I thought" were his literal words.

He added some comments on the fact that they will have to do a lot of work and so on, but damn...it would be a bummer if they wouldn't get well together. Zarco's got talent IMHO
Barbedwirebikerr likes this.
Holypuck is offline  
 
November 22nd, 2018, 01:13 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 1,584
Likes: 597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holypuck View Post
For many reasons including that one.
Out of curiosity are the interviews given in Italian, even by the Spanish riders more insightful than the ones given in English?
p4p1 is offline  
November 22nd, 2018, 01:15 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 1,584
Likes: 597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holypuck View Post
back to far more interesting topics.

Zarco basically said that the KTM sucks...

https://www.gpone.com/it/2018/11/21/...spettassi.html

"The KTM is a lot worse than I thought" were his literal words.

He added some comments on the fact that they will have to do a lot of work and so on, but damn...it would be a bummer if they wouldn't get well together. Zarco's got talent IMHO
Iím a big Zarco fan, but listening to Neil Spalding yesterday made me realise how different a KTM would feel. From what he was saying using WP instead of Ohlins could be inhibiting them a lot as wel.
p4p1 is offline  
November 22nd, 2018, 01:21 AM   #74
Senior Member
 
Barbedwirebikerr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: FNQ

Posts: 821
Likes: 588

I Ride: DRZ400E
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4p1 View Post
Iím a big Zarco fan, but listening to Neil Spalding yesterday made me realise how different a KTM would feel. From what he was saying using WP instead of Ohlins could be inhibiting them a lot as wel.
Likewise, I'm just watching day 2, session 2 now and mostly listening to his insights. Very enlightening, the man knows his stuff. As a fan, we are not privy often to this level of information.
Barbedwirebikerr is offline  
November 22nd, 2018, 01:26 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
Barbedwirebikerr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: FNQ

Posts: 821
Likes: 588

I Ride: DRZ400E
The discussion about KTM. Great points, they are missing the experience of Ohlins by running their own in-house WP suspension, something I didn't realise these last two seasons. And the insistence of steel trellis frame, more importantly the characteristics of steel VS aluminium and how they react and rebound to stresses.
Barbedwirebikerr is offline  
November 22nd, 2018, 01:28 AM   #76
Senior Member
 
Holypuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: Italy

Posts: 548
Likes: 446

I Ride: Honda CRF250 (modified for Dirt Track)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4p1 View Post
Out of curiosity are the interviews given in Italian, even by the Spanish riders more insightful than the ones given in English?

For the Italian riders, 100%. Also because our moto medias are obviously very focused on our own riders, so even the interviews can be very insightful.

For the Spanish it depends. I'd say most of the Spanish riders speak Italian very fluently (some, for example Marquez, sound almost native) and due to the several similarities bewteen the two languages I think it's easier for them to describe feelings on the bike and so on.
p4p1 likes this.
Holypuck is offline  
November 22nd, 2018, 01:34 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
Holypuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: Italy

Posts: 548
Likes: 446

I Ride: Honda CRF250 (modified for Dirt Track)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4p1 View Post
I’m a big Zarco fan, but listening to Neil Spalding yesterday made me realise how different a KTM would feel. From what he was saying using WP instead of Ohlins could be inhibiting them a lot as wel.

I like KTM but racing-wise I think they are rather pretentious.

CEO's past declarations such as "we'll win the title within 5 years" are bullshit.

They prolly feel very powerful due to their humongous financial resources, but investments are only one of the many, many things you need to build up a competitive GP bike.

I'd be only happy if one more bike (and of a "different" nationality) would be competitive but KTM has a long way to go before they get there and the sooner they acknowledge it, the better.
Holypuck is offline  
November 22nd, 2018, 01:37 AM   #78
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 1,584
Likes: 597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbedwirebikerr View Post
Likewise, I'm just watching day 2, session 2 now and mostly listening to his insights. Very enlightening, the man knows his stuff. As a fan, we are not privy often to this level of information.
Definitely the highlight of the test for me. IMO those kinds of interviews from guys like him or others in the paddock that spend time in the box with the guys during the testing are what makes it worth watching. Otherwise itís really just background noise save for a few moments.
p4p1 is offline  
November 22nd, 2018, 01:39 AM   #79
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 1,584
Likes: 597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holypuck View Post
I like KTM but racing-wise I think they are rather pretentious.

CEO's past declarations such as "we'll win the title within 5 years" are bullshit.

They prolly feel very powerful due to their humongous financial resources, but investments are only one of the many, many things you need to build up a competitive GP bike.

I'd be only happy if one more bike (and of a "different" nationality) would be competitive but KTM has a long way to go before they get there and the sooner they acknowledge it, the better.
I agree, I definitely think theyíre coming but they have a long time to go and unless Zarco can be really competitive by mid 2020 week in week out thereís no way theyíre getting a title winning level rider on their bike for 2021.
p4p1 is offline  
November 22nd, 2018, 01:41 AM   #80
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 1,584
Likes: 597

Did Stoner even give a detailed insight to steel trellis frame vs carbon frame vs twin bar aluminium?
p4p1 is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
test, valencia



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valencia Test Gaz MotoGP 31 November 18th, 2017 07:41 PM
motogp test - Valencia shovelhead MotoGP 7 November 9th, 2015 11:43 PM
Moto GP test Valencia Ciaraespana MotoGP 1 November 9th, 2015 10:44 AM
Valencia Test bluegreen MotoGP 183 November 22nd, 2012 07:53 PM
Rossi & the Valencia test alex29 MotoGP 65 August 26th, 2010 06:39 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.