MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
October 21st, 2018, 06:19 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,597
Likes: 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I was just thinking (dangerous I know) how about someone from outside the sport, is it really necessary to have someone from that field, there have been a few occasions where its been done.
You mean pick someone with proven expertise and experience as a race steward?. Too radical.
Theo likes this.
michaelm is offline  
 
October 21st, 2018, 07:17 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,597
Likes: 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbedwirebikerr View Post
I feel for this position, deciding on racing incidents it is best to have someone whom themselves are a former racer.

Freddie doesn't seem to have any affiliations with any manufacturer, and would hope he will be a great, impartial steward.
I actually have to give Dorna credit, even if their motivation started from a wish to avoid a repetition of the flak they copped after Sepang 2015, this looks like a genuine attempt to appoint an independent person of unquestionable stature in the sport. Even the likes of MM, Rossi and Lorenzo could not dismiss the guy who won both the 500 and the 250 titles in the same year in the modern era as some also- ran, not that it was even possible for any of them to repeat his feat of course.
RCV600RR likes this.

Last edited by michaelm; October 21st, 2018 at 08:22 PM.
michaelm is offline  
October 21st, 2018, 10:24 PM   #13
Gaz
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: Dubvegas, or thereabouts

Posts: 5,683
Likes: 2074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I was just thinking (dangerous I know) how about someone from outside the sport, is it really necessary to have someone from that field, there have been a few occasions where its been done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbedwirebikerr View Post
I feel for this position, deciding on racing incidents it is best to have someone whom themselves are a former racer.

Freddie doesn't seem to have any affiliations with any manufacturer, and would hope he will be a great, impartial steward.

IMO only but both views have merit, although why not go a little from left field and do both?

Why not have a panel with the chair of the panel purely from a legal type of background (in the longer term, this would help firm up the rules and interpretations) with their primary role being to interpret the rules and the meanings therof (ie. where it says dangerous riding, they define the meaning of dangerous for the remaining members of the panel).

Then you have the panel members which can be past, or even present riders (not in the category of the rider facing the panel), although personally I would push for a group of past riders from whom a panel can be selected under the guidance of the legal background independent.

It wouldn't be to difficult finding 2 or even 3 past riders in attendance, to form a panel (you could go with a single if preferred) to adjudicate using their racing knowledge, their technical understanding of the bikes and their visibility of the offence to make an informed judgement.

Hell, many sports have it with the only real downside being that sometimes decisions are not immediate, but is that really an issue (remembering that stewards do not call for black flags but adjudicate on what caused the black flag if the issue is raised to them)
michaelm, Keshav, Mick D and 4 others like this.
Gaz is offline  
October 22nd, 2018, 02:06 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Theo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Chertsey, Surrey, UK

Posts: 1,524
Likes: 290

I Ride: A bicycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
IMO only but both views have merit, although why not go a little from left field and do both?

Why not have a panel with the chair of the panel purely from a legal type of background (in the longer term, this would help firm up the rules and interpretations) with their primary role being to interpret the rules and the meanings therof (ie. where it says dangerous riding, they define the meaning of dangerous for the remaining members of the panel).

Then you have the panel members which can be past, or even present riders (not in the category of the rider facing the panel), although personally I would push for a group of past riders from whom a panel can be selected under the guidance of the legal background independent.

It wouldn't be to difficult finding 2 or even 3 past riders in attendance, to form a panel (you could go with a single if preferred) to adjudicate using their racing knowledge, their technical understanding of the bikes and their visibility of the offence to make an informed judgement.

Hell, many sports have it with the only real downside being that sometimes decisions are not immediate, but is that really an issue (remembering that stewards do not call for black flags but adjudicate on what caused the black flag if the issue is raised to them)
Yes thats a great idea
Theo is offline  
November 6th, 2018, 01:53 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Iamapony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: Santa Cruz, Cal

Posts: 599
Likes: 224

I Ride: BMW, Honda, and another Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Ok a decade, Spenser finished in 93, thats a generation ago in human terms, in fact he last swung a leg over a race bike longer than me ago, ffs he's a dinosaur.
So? Do you have age issues? You brought up wrinkles in another thread.

Rossi started in 1996. If you want to make sure there is no bias, it is probably better to get an EXPERT who retired before any rider in the field started riding.

I also might point out that having too many voices on these issues may make it too difficult to get results. Many of these decisions are also time sensitive. Western jury systems and democratic voting should point to the hazards of a larger group making choices in a timely and vetted manner..
Mick D likes this.
Iamapony is offline  
November 8th, 2018, 01:28 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Theo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Chertsey, Surrey, UK

Posts: 1,524
Likes: 290

I Ride: A bicycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamapony View Post
So? Do you have age issues? You brought up wrinkles in another thread.

Rossi started in 1996. If you want to make sure there is no bias, it is probably better to get an EXPERT who retired before any rider in the field started riding.

I also might point out that having too many voices on these issues may make it too difficult to get results. Many of these decisions are also time sensitive. Western jury systems and democratic voting should point to the hazards of a larger group making choices in a timely and vetted manner..
Yes, I have plenty of wrinkles as well, doesn't mean I should be given a job on that basis. In fact with the change in bikes performance all round, it needs someone who understands the complexities of the modern racing bike. We all know they are faster, they stop quicker, plus all the extra attachments that alter how the bike rides and transfers forces. 20 Years ago if you'd ridden a gp bike the way they do now, imo it'd throw you off. So thats why I think these old "wrinklies" should not be given a job like that.
Theo is offline  
November 8th, 2018, 01:41 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Mick D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: Thailand

Posts: 5,296
Likes: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Yes, I have plenty of wrinkles as well, doesn't mean I should be given a job on that basis. In fact with the change in bikes performance all round, it needs someone who understands the complexities of the modern racing bike. We all know they are faster, they stop quicker, plus all the extra attachments that alter how the bike rides and transfers forces. 20 Years ago if you'd ridden a gp bike the way they do now, imo it'd throw you off. So thats why I think these old "wrinklies" should not be given a job like that.
You sir, are an idiot.
Theo likes this.
Mick D is offline  
November 8th, 2018, 02:09 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Theo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Chertsey, Surrey, UK

Posts: 1,524
Likes: 290

I Ride: A bicycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick D View Post
You sir, are an idiot.
Fine I can live with it
Theo is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
chair, fast, freddie, motogp, panel, stewards



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rossi appeals FIM stewards decision ovidiurosb MotoGP 69 November 2nd, 2015 01:40 PM
Fast Freddie for sell and other exotics Nadeem Petrolheads 8 May 9th, 2013 02:12 AM
Fast Freddie Vs. street bike Vs. car.....around Laguna! ogunski MotoGP 9 October 6th, 2008 04:32 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.