MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree65Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
July 4th, 2018, 07:56 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
MdubSTYLIE's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: Shovel's Club

Posts: 4,880
Likes: 1683

I Ride: your mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by synn View Post
Itís not a discredit to MM.
Rossiís jump to Yamaha is not just defined by his own unreal 2004 season. He left behind a bike that he utterly dominated on. None of the 1500 people Honda put on it since his departure came anywhere close to matching him on it.

Combine the two and you will see what a phenomenon he was.
What Rossi did at yamaha was undeniably impressive. But half the credit goes to Burgess imo. They developed a bike Rossi could win on immediately. Take him away from the story and it could have been another ducati story. The riders since Rossi on the Honda have had to deal with a yamaha that was as good as the honda because of Rossi and Burgess true, but Stoner and Marc where just as good or better on the honda to me. They just had more to deal with. JLo on a yamaha for example. Notice how its not Rossi on the yamaha but JLo, Rossi will go down as one of the greats of all time but not the GOAT to anyone besides his fans. I think it is safe to say because of Rossi riders like JLo, Marc, and Stoner exist. Rossi's dominance breeded better riders. Its simple evolution brah.
evo9 likes this.
MdubSTYLIE is offline  
 
July 4th, 2018, 08:29 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
povol's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
From: Tennessee

Posts: 10,451
Likes: 1629

Rossi’s longevity has worked against his legacy and the more Dorna works to equalize the bikes, the more his legacy will suffer. Rossi has 1 win in the last 2 calendar years from Assen 2016 , him actually winning a race these days has become an oddity.
povol is offline  
July 4th, 2018, 08:42 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
evo9's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
From: USA

Posts: 840
Likes: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by povol View Post
Rossiís longevity has worked against his legacy and the more Dorna works to equalize the bikes, the more his legacy will suffer. Rossi has 1 win in the last 2 calendar years from Assen 2016 , him actually winning a race these days has become an oddity.

Spot on! And what Michaelm put forth in post #30 pretty much back up your point. But as we know there are others who simply refuse to accept the facts.
evo9 is offline  
July 4th, 2018, 09:28 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: Earth

Posts: 1,756
Likes: 713

I Ride: Your mom on most days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdubSTYLIE View Post
What Rossi did at yamaha was undeniably impressive. But half the credit goes to Burgess imo. They developed a bike Rossi could win on immediately. Take him away from the story and it could have been another ducati story. The riders since Rossi on the Honda have had to deal with a yamaha that was as good as the honda because of Rossi and Burgess true, but Stoner and Marc where just as good or better on the honda to me. They just had more to deal with. JLo on a yamaha for example. Notice how its not Rossi on the yamaha but JLo, Rossi will go down as one of the greats of all time but not the GOAT to anyone besides his fans. I think it is safe to say because of Rossi riders like JLo, Marc, and Stoner exist. Rossi's dominance breeded better riders. Its simple evolution brah.
If burgess deserves some credit for Rossiís immediate success on the Yamaha, he deserves some of the blame on the lack of it on the Ducati. It cuts both ways.

The problem with ďBut whatís about DucatiĒ is that thatís not how you measure someoneís GOATdom. You look at the career as a whole. Marquez right now is in the stage of his career when Rossi was in 2004-2006. It is simply too early to say how he is an altime greatat the peak. For all we know, he could very well become a Pedrosa in a couple more years. Or leave and drive F1 cars.

So once again, he hasnít crossed the peak of his career yet, havenít gone to a second tier bike and showed what he can do or is fighting for championships or P2/P3 a decade and more into his career. Letís revisit this discussion in a few years time.

But as of now, in this given day, he is the best rider on track by a considerable margin.
RCV600RR and McZee like this.
synn is offline  
July 4th, 2018, 09:34 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 1,563
Likes: 594

Rossi's longevity is extremely impressive no doubt though as someone else said the move to 4 strokes has helped that and personally I would say developments in safety and athletes supplements and training as well(athletes now in many sports are competing at their best for longer) has ensured that he can continue to compete well.

However, as the article points out once the SNS were stopped his results nose dived and they've gone down even more since the control tyre. Marquez, Lorenzo, Stoner and Pedrosa have won more races in a season during the control tyre era than Rossi has managed with Lorenzo and Marquez equaling or bettering his best amount wins in a single season on a control tyre multiple times. He has losing records against Stoner, Lorenzo and Marquez head to head which HAS to hurt his claim and standing. His results compared to Stoner on the same machinery while not the be all and end all are another thing counting against his argument.

In my opinion that Doohan was more dominant against similar competition with similar advantages(though Doohan never enjoyed an advantage like Rossi had in 02) is very telling as well and must count against Rossi in this argument as well.

The issue with age argument I have is that Rossi was around the same age when he was being beaten by Lorenzo, Stoner and Marquez as his strongest rivals during his title run from 01-05. Doohan and Ago showed you can win championships in your mid 30s and not only I personally don't believe in a sport like MotoGP that age is the be all and end all as most athletes from more conventional who experience the normal decline in their 30s have wear and tear issues on their bodies from years of the abuse professional sports do.

As far as Yamaha are concerned Rossi left Honda to go to the second most successful factory with a genius engineer redesigning the bike and custom tyres. Under current condition he wouldn't be able to do the same again. Does anyone seriously doubt that Marquez could jump on the Yamaha next year and win a championship though and would it really be all that impressive to the people who want him to win on another manufacturer? Marquez's '16 title is more impressive than any title Rossi was ever able to win.

i just don't think you can be called the GOAT when other riders have embarrassed you during your era.
Keshav likes this.

Last edited by p4p1; July 4th, 2018 at 09:37 AM.
p4p1 is offline  
July 4th, 2018, 09:46 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
MdubSTYLIE's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: Shovel's Club

Posts: 4,880
Likes: 1683

I Ride: your mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by synn View Post
If burgess deserves some credit for Rossiís immediate success on the Yamaha, he deserves some of the blame on the lack of it on the Ducati. It cuts both ways.

The problem with ďBut whatís about DucatiĒ is that thatís not how you measure someoneís GOATdom. You look at the career as a whole. Marquez right now is in the stage of his career when Rossi was in 2004-2006. It is simply too early to say how he is an altime greatat the peak. For all we know, he could very well become a Pedrosa in a couple more years. Or leave and drive F1 cars.

So once again, he hasnít crossed the peak of his career yet, havenít gone to a second tier bike and showed what he can do or is fighting for championships or P2/P3 a decade and more into his career. Letís revisit this discussion in a few years time.

But as of now, in this given day, he is the best rider on track by a considerable margin.
I don't deny that burgess failed at ducati. I don't judge riders by their failures but their ability to overcome failures plus achievements. Simply put Rossi is not nearly as skilled as Marc and GOATs are usually judged by ability plus achievements. Here is the thing about rating Rossi over Marc, Rossi cannot and will not beat Marc in points unless Marc makes a mistake. I think it is safe to say if you put Marc into Rossi's prime MM would still handle him with ease. Rossi is in the argument for greatest of all time for me but falls short to Marc.
MdubSTYLIE is offline  
July 4th, 2018, 09:46 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: Earth

Posts: 1,756
Likes: 713

I Ride: Your mom on most days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4p1 View Post
Rossi's longevity is extremely impressive no doubt though as someone else said the move to 4 strokes has helped that and personally I would say developments in safety and athletes supplements and training as well(athletes now in many sports are competing at their best for longer) has ensured that he can continue to compete well.

However, as the article points out once the SNS were stopped his results nose dived and they've gone down even more since the control tyre. Marquez, Lorenzo, Stoner and Pedrosa have won more races in a season during the control tyre era than Rossi has managed with Lorenzo and Marquez equaling or bettering his best amount wins in a single season on a control tyre multiple times. He has losing records against Stoner, Lorenzo and Marquez head to head which HAS to hurt his claim and standing. His results compared to Stoner on the same machinery while not the be all and end all are another thing counting against his argument.

In my opinion that Doohan was more dominant against similar competition with similar advantages(though Doohan never enjoyed an advantage like Rossi had in 02) is very telling as well and must count against Rossi in this argument as well.

The issue with age argument I have is that Rossi was around the same age when he was being beaten by Lorenzo, Stoner and Marquez as his strongest rivals during his title run from 01-05. Doohan and Ago showed you can win championships in your mid 30s and not only I personally don't believe in a sport like MotoGP that age is the be all and end all as most athletes from more conventional who experience the normal decline in their 30s have wear and tear issues on their bodies from years of the abuse professional sports do.

As far as Yamaha are concerned Rossi left Honda to go to the second most successful factory with a genius engineer redesigning the bike and custom tyres. Under current condition he wouldn't be able to do the same again. Does anyone seriously doubt that Marquez could jump on the Yamaha next year and win a championship though and would it really be all that impressive to the people who want him to win on another manufacturer? Marquez's '16 title is more impressive than any title Rossi was ever able to win.

i just don't think you can be called the GOAT when other riders have embarrassed you during your era.
You do know that he won a championship with control tyres and was well poised to win another one before he got injured and missed races, right?

125, 250, 500, 990, 800 and within a hairís breath of a championship with the 1000s.

2 strokes. 4 strokes. No electronics. Some electronics. A shit load of electronics. Unified electronics.

Dunlops, Bridgestones, Michelins.

SNS. Control tyres. A dominant win at PI making up 10 seconds to overcome a penalty with no SNS.

If thereís another rider with a career full of championships and wins with all these variables, please tell me who that is.
RCV600RR likes this.
synn is offline  
July 4th, 2018, 09:51 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: Earth

Posts: 1,756
Likes: 713

I Ride: Your mom on most days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdubSTYLIE View Post
I don't deny that burgess failed at ducati. I don't judge riders by their failures but their ability to overcome failures plus achievements. Simply put Rossi is not nearly as skilled as Marc and GOATs are usually judged by ability plus achievements. Here is the thing about rating Rossi over Marc, Rossi cannot and will not beat Marc in points unless Marc makes a mistake. I think it is safe to say if you put Marc into Rossi's prime MM would still handle him with ease. Rossi is in the argument for greatest of all time for me but falls short to Marc.
Crashy Crashlow, a rider who got along with the Shitcati even worse than Rossi, is winning races and staying at the sharp end on the RCV. Now imagine what the vastly more talented Rossi will be on it now.

If we are playing the what if game, put Rossi and Marquez on the same bike. Be it the current RCV or the M1. I am fairly confident it will be a lot closer than what it is currently. Marquez will definitely have more miracle saves, but Rossi will just crash a lot less.

I will concede, there is still a higher chance of Marquez coming out on top. But that again is a test of current form, not GOATdom.
RCV600RR likes this.
synn is offline  
July 4th, 2018, 10:35 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 1,563
Likes: 594

Quote:
Originally Posted by synn View Post
You do know that he won a championship with control tyres and was well poised to win another one before he got injured and missed races, right?

125, 250, 500, 990, 800 and within a hair’s breath of a championship with the 1000s.

2 strokes. 4 strokes. No electronics. Some electronics. A shit load of electronics. Unified electronics.

Dunlops, Bridgestones, Michelins.

SNS. Control tyres. A dominant win at PI making up 10 seconds to overcome a penalty with no SNS.

If there’s another rider with a career full of championships and wins with all these variables, please tell me who that is.
Yes 1 title with a grand total of 6 wins with a years worth of extra experience than his rivals. Poised to win means fuck all, he was poised to win in 06 and 07 as well. Compare that to his previous dominance or the dominance that Marquez, Lorenzo and Stoner had on control tyres. Then also 2006, the first year of no SNS, 2007 where he was beaten by not only Stoner but Pedrosa who was on the same tyres.

You mention the 10 second penalty thing but Stoner, Lorenzo, Doohan and Marquez have all won races by more than 10 seconds(as has Rossi) so without hyperbole is it really that impressive or unheard of. Hell Marquez made up far more than 10 seconds on the field earlier this year.

Marquez has won with no electronics, a shitload of electronics and unified electronics. Rossi has never won a championship with unified electronics though. So that doesn't really help your point.

Marquez won on 2 strokes and 4 strokes though I concede 500>125

Marquez has won on Dunlop, Bridgestone and Michelin but it's more impressive because he done it all on a control tyre. Rossi never won a championship on Michelins once SNS were outlawed.

Counting the different versions of MotoGP doesn't really mean much because the rest of the field was dealing with the same changes he was. It's moot point and it's unlikely others will be racing during 4 rule major changes in the span of a decade. It's just a made up stat that Rossi fans bring up when clutching at straws and realistically means very little when others were having to make the same or bigger adaptions.

Marquez has beaten better riders on better bikes with control tyres and control electronics.

As for Cal vs Rossi on the Ducati, Cal put the Ducati on a podium in his first year which Rossi also managed. The big difference is the bike Rossi had jumped on had won 3 of the last 6 races the previous season. The bike Cal jumped on hadn't won for 3.5 years and wouldn't win for another 2. Cal for all his faults can be fast when things are going right for him but he throws it down the road far too consistently to ever win more than the occasional race or get the occasional podium.
Keshav likes this.
p4p1 is offline  
July 4th, 2018, 10:53 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: Earth

Posts: 1,756
Likes: 713

I Ride: Your mom on most days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4p1 View Post
Yes 1 title with a grand total of 6 wins with a years worth of extra experience than his rivals. Poised to win means fuck all, he was poised to win in 06 and 07 as well. Compare that to his previous dominance or the dominance that Marquez, Lorenzo and Stoner had on control tyres. Then also 2006, the first year of no SNS, 2007 where he was beaten by not only Stoner but Pedrosa who was on the same tyres.

You mention the 10 second penalty thing but Stoner, Lorenzo, Doohan and Marquez have all won races by more than 10 seconds(as has Rossi) so without hyperbole is it really that impressive or unheard of. Hell Marquez made up far more than 10 seconds on the field earlier this year.

Marquez has won with no electronics, a shitload of electronics and unified electronics. Rossi has never won a championship with unified electronics though. So that doesn't really help your point.

Marquez won on 2 strokes and 4 strokes though I concede 500>125

Marquez has won on Dunlop, Bridgestone and Michelin but it's more impressive because he done it all on a control tyre. Rossi never won a championship on Michelins once SNS were outlawed.

Counting the different versions of MotoGP doesn't really mean much because the rest of the field was dealing with the same changes he was. It's moot point and it's unlikely others will be racing during 4 rule major changes in the span of a decade. It's just a made up stat that Rossi fans bring up when clutching at straws and realistically means very little when others were having to make the same or bigger adaptions.

Marquez has beaten better riders on better bikes with control tyres and control electronics.

As for Cal vs Rossi on the Ducati, Cal put the Ducati on a podium in his first year which Rossi also managed. The big difference is the bike Rossi had jumped on had won 3 of the last 6 races the previous season. The bike Cal jumped on hadn't won for 3.5 years and wouldn't win for another 2. Cal for all his faults can be fast when things are going right for him but he throws it down the road far too consistently to ever win more than the occasional race or get the occasional podium.
If poised to win means nothing, please stop talking about Stacey Moaner.
Two championships in a decade plus career means fuckall in the grand scheme of things.
synn is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
case, making, marquez



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
THE CASE FOR MARQUEZ Jumkie MotoGP 463 November 2nd, 2015 12:47 PM
I rest my case... xx CURVE xx MotoGP 10 March 22nd, 2009 03:28 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.