MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree43Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
July 13th, 2018, 01:22 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 9,417
Likes: 1365

I Ride: DRZ400sm and KTM SXF450sm
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCV600RR View Post
Lack of girth?
The measure around anything; circumference. IE: size, a thing directly related to mass. No, not talking dick size.
Keshav is offline  
 
July 13th, 2018, 04:08 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
povol's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
From: Tennessee

Posts: 10,410
Likes: 1598

Daniís size was a detriment in the GP class . His lack of height was especially troublesome as he couldnít move his body around and shift what little weight he hadto where it needed to be to heat the tires. It also hindered his braking . If on occasion the bike was hooking up for him, he was unbeatable. People talk about Rossiís height being a detriment but itís actually one of his biggest attributes as he can move around on the bike in search of the right weight distribution.
Mick D and Holypuck like this.
povol is offline  
July 14th, 2018, 03:57 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Iamapony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: Santa Cruz, Cal

Posts: 594
Likes: 219

I Ride: BMW, Honda, and another Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
.....Mostly tho, reasonable minds agree, his lack of girth was a detriment in that it made it so hard to get sufficient heat in the front time, and made him over-prone to injury. Yet despite that, he had championships in 125 and 250 and scored way more wins in premiere class than Nicky ever did.......
Yeah, so you guys are saying Honda made him their number one rider because he was too small? Give me a break. They saw the advantage of him weighing less, and it worked during the 800 era. No one brought up the heating of tires and his diminutive size hampering his results UNTIL they went back to liter bikes. Respectfully, stop rewriting motorcycle history. His size was an advantage for years. Edit: Please recall that Pedrosa, and secondarily Stoner, dominated starts during the 800 era because of size. Lorenzo took over when they went back to liter bikes.

Last edited by Iamapony; July 14th, 2018 at 04:00 PM.
Iamapony is offline  
July 14th, 2018, 06:47 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Mick D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: Thailand

Posts: 5,278
Likes: 487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamapony View Post
Yeah, so you guys are saying Honda made him their number one rider because he was too small?
Yes. Signing Dani was part of HRC's 800cc micro-bike plan.
Mick D is offline  
July 14th, 2018, 07:36 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: Norah Head

Posts: 9,408
Likes: 965

I Ride: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick D View Post
Yes. Signing Dani was part of HRC's 800cc micro-bike plan.
To Honda VSG = very small guy?
BarryMachine is offline  
July 15th, 2018, 03:16 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 9,417
Likes: 1365

I Ride: DRZ400sm and KTM SXF450sm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamapony View Post
Yeah, so you guys are saying Honda made him their number one rider because he was too small? Give me a break. They saw the advantage of him weighing less, and it worked during the 800 era. No one brought up the heating of tires and his diminutive size hampering his results UNTIL they went back to liter bikes. Respectfully, stop rewriting motorcycle history. His size was an advantage for years. Edit: Please recall that Pedrosa, and secondarily Stoner, dominated starts during the 800 era because of size. Lorenzo took over when they went back to liter bikes.
You're promoting a false equivalency. They didn't hire him because he was too small. He was a proven talent in the smaller classes. And Honda, were the ones who were pushing the idea of the 800 class and they were short-sighted in thinking of their rider the way they think of parts and bits from the bike: they were very much mistaken in their thinking, as his small size was still detrimental to his efforts. Your thinking is also defective in that regard. It's the equivalent of people who in essence implied the Ducati rode itself. Pedrosa didn't win races "because" he was small. He won races despite being small. It didn't hurt that the HRC bikes were that much more competitive due to the massive head start they had as they'd been developing the bike way before their competitors.
Holypuck likes this.
Keshav is offline  
July 15th, 2018, 05:32 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,531
Likes: 2082

Phy j

He had a pretty good first season on a 990, other than the stupid move (revved up by Puig) on Nicky, and his best season ever was in 2012, the first season of the liter bikes.

I am sure Honda thought he was the perfect rider to fit with their mass centralisation engineering theory/philosophy/whatever, but they were wrong as you say, and now he is getting to his mid 30s, oft injured, and canít get heat into the current control tire.
michaelm is offline  
July 15th, 2018, 05:44 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
povol's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
From: Tennessee

Posts: 10,410
Likes: 1598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamapony View Post
Yeah, so you guys are saying Honda made him their number one rider because he was too small? Give me a break. They saw the advantage of him weighing less, and it worked during the 800 era. No one brought up the heating of tires and his diminutive size hampering his results UNTIL they went back to liter bikes. Respectfully, stop rewriting motorcycle history. His size was an advantage for years. Edit: Please recall that Pedrosa, and secondarily Stoner, dominated starts during the 800 era because of size. Lorenzo took over when they went back to liter bikes.
how did it work in the 800 era, Honda never sniffed a title on the 800's till they hired Casey.
Keshav and Holypuck like this.

Last edited by povol; July 17th, 2018 at 03:06 PM.
povol is offline  
July 17th, 2018, 03:07 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
povol's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
From: Tennessee

Posts: 10,410
Likes: 1598

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...-uphill-career

For those who don’t understand why Dani’s diminutive size was a detriment to his career.
Holypuck likes this.
povol is offline  
July 17th, 2018, 11:32 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Holypuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: Northern Italy

Posts: 465
Likes: 391

I Ride: Honda CRF250 (modified for Dirt Track)
Quote:
Originally Posted by povol View Post
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...-uphill-career

For those who donít understand why Daniís diminutive size was a detriment to his career.

Thanks for sharing. I hope this will help some brilliant minds who think he was advantaged by his body to reconsider.
Holypuck is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
future, motogp, pedrosa, reveal, sachsenring



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Future of MotoGP (part du) Jumkie MotoGP 102 January 30th, 2015 11:23 PM
The future of MotoGP? mylexicon MotoGP 21 August 1st, 2014 03:24 PM
MotoGP's Future Mental Anarchist MotoGP 123 September 29th, 2012 06:08 AM
ducati reveal GP9 jazkat MotoGP 15 January 15th, 2009 12:44 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.