MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree19Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
June 28th, 2018, 02:14 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
JPSLotus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Madison Square Garden 1973

Posts: 5,324
Likes: 2548

Ducati Mass Damper System explanation

Craig Scarborough who does a lot of F1 technical breakdowns did one for the Ducati mass damper system earlier in the year I missed. Fascinating read about how their system works.

https://drivetribe.com/p/motogp-what...QnKe4zISdO2ehw
JPSLotus is offline  
 
June 28th, 2018, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2007
From: Australia

Posts: 1,410
Likes: 419

I Ride: R6
How very interesting.

Thanks.
RCV600RR is offline  
June 28th, 2018, 03:05 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
JPSLotus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Madison Square Garden 1973

Posts: 5,324
Likes: 2548

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCV600RR View Post
How very interesting.

Thanks.
You're welcome!

Hats off to Gigi for making that work.
JPSLotus is offline  
June 28th, 2018, 03:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: Norah Head

Posts: 9,372
Likes: 951

I Ride: Many
VSG cure attempt.
Keshav likes this.
BarryMachine is offline  
June 29th, 2018, 06:59 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2007
From: Australia

Posts: 1,410
Likes: 419

I Ride: R6
Ducati were humble enough to ditch Preziosi and take Dall'Igna. After all, Aprilia were basically a chassis company for the longest time.
RCV600RR is offline  
June 29th, 2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
JohnnyKnockdown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: unda cheese

Posts: 4,923
Likes: 1060

Quite the evolution from 2007 -2011, where they were just using a mass diaper
synn likes this.
JohnnyKnockdown is offline  
June 29th, 2018, 10:25 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Iamapony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: Santa Cruz, Cal

Posts: 594
Likes: 219

I Ride: BMW, Honda, and another Honda
Like Ducati's stretch of the winglet rules, which lead to the F1 like monsters they now employ, I also find this contraption to be outside the regulations.

Quote:
2.4.4.4 Suspension and Dampers
Electric/electronic controlled suspension, ride height and steering damper systems are not allowed. Adjustments to the suspension and steering damper systems may only be made by manual human inputs and mechanical/ hydraulic adjusters.
I have little doubt someone here will declare that it is just fine, like with the wings. I, for one, think it is outside the spirit of the rules, if not a direct violation of the section I have quoted.
Iamapony is offline  
June 29th, 2018, 10:38 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: Earth

Posts: 1,674
Likes: 683

I Ride: Your mom on most days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamapony View Post
Like Ducati's stretch of the winglet rules, which lead to the F1 like monsters they now employ, I also find this contraption to be outside the regulations.


I have little doubt someone here will declare that it is just fine, like with the wings. I, for one, think it is outside the spirit of the rules, if not a direct violation of the section I have quoted.
This is the same team that got itself registered as “Open class” to get around factory Team restrictions and get a year’s head start on the spec ECU. Are you really surprised?
RCV600RR likes this.
synn is offline  
June 30th, 2018, 08:47 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,465
Likes: 2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by synn View Post
This is the same team that got itself registered as “Open class” to get around factory Team restrictions and get a year’s head start on the spec ECU. Are you really surprised?
They are backed by German money now, but for most of their existence in motogp Ducati Corse were scarcely bigger than KRSR's backyard operation. Your bending the rules I would see as being innovative and succeeding against all odds, particularly since the control tire and its antecedents totally screwed their bike, which was co-developed with Bridgestone, when the tire so developed was no longer available. It remains extraordinary that an operation like Ducati Ccorse came up with a bike in 2007 on which someone could win a title against the might of the HRC and Yamaha factory teams.
michaelm is offline  
June 30th, 2018, 09:27 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
JPSLotus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Madison Square Garden 1973

Posts: 5,324
Likes: 2548

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
They are backed by German money now, but for most of their existence in motogp Ducati Corse were scarcely bigger than KRSR's backyard operation. Your bending the rules I would see as being innovative and succeeding against all odds, particularly since the control tire and its antecedents totally screwed their bike, which was co-developed with Bridgestone, when the tire so developed was no longer available. It remains extraordinary that an operation like Ducati Ccorse came up with a bike in 2007 on which someone could win a title against the might of the HRC and Yamaha factory teams.
While having Stoner was a huge factor in that 2007 title victory, I think they really went all in on the 800cc engine. It simply outpowered HRC and Yamaha where it needed to do so and Stoner did the rest of the work to make up for the chassis deficiencies. Still a remarkable achievement considering the scale of the teams they were up against.
RCV600RR likes this.
JPSLotus is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
damper, ducati, explanation, mass, system



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Explanation of how TC etc actually works yamaka46 MotoGP 6 January 14th, 2008 12:14 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.