MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree44Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
May 23rd, 2018, 02:17 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: Norah Head

Posts: 9,434
Likes: 977

I Ride: Many
I dont get this "pre contract" thing? WTF use is that?
BarryMachine is offline  
 
May 23rd, 2018, 02:22 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Iamapony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: Santa Cruz, Cal

Posts: 599
Likes: 224

I Ride: BMW, Honda, and another Honda
It keeps him from signing with someone else. It is like how Honda screwed with Miller, because these kids and their representatives can't wait and can't see the bigger picture. It could have ended Miller's career because of injury. My 2 cents.
Barbedwirebikerr likes this.
Iamapony is offline  
May 23rd, 2018, 02:47 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: Earth

Posts: 1,756
Likes: 713

I Ride: Your mom on most days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamapony View Post
This guy has one third place and is seventh in the standings, and some of you think he is ready for MotoGP? That's not realistic. Binder is ninth and Mir is seventh. Big deal.

How do we know more of these people don't ride liter bikes? While I think that it is nice that he rides a bigger bike, it is not racing a MotoGP bike. WSBK riders take time to adjust to MotoGP bikes. Look at all the wildcard failures over the years. Moto2 may prepare riders for MotoGP, Moto3 does not. I would want to see how he handles this year before signing him. Of course, his agent wants him signed - NOW. What the heck, it ain't his money, nor his body.

By-the-way, I did a track day with Stefan Bradl at Laguna Seca before his first ride there in MotoGP. He was riding a Fireblade, of course. So was I. He finished his career on a liter bike (Fireblade). I am not sure what good it did him.
The key point is that it took Brad Binder a year on a Moto2 bike before getting somewhat comfortable with it, same story with Bagnaia, Navarro is still not there and Fenati is learning his way around it now, but Mir, in 5 races already looks more comfortable than them.

Nice job riding with Bradl. I am a fan of his. Good thing is, he gets a couple of wild cards on the RCV this year.
RCV600RR likes this.
synn is offline  
May 23rd, 2018, 06:13 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,587
Likes: 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamapony View Post
It keeps him from signing with someone else. It is like how Honda screwed with Miller, because these kids and their representatives can't wait and can't see the bigger picture. It could have ended Miller's career because of injury. My 2 cents.
Miller certainly got very little support from Honda so I am not sure why they signed him; some opined at the start it was to keep him away from other marques, although despite being a partisan Aussie I don’t think he has shown the sort of talent even now to warrant such treatment.

He looks like he has a chance to prosper with Ducati while still quite young, so I am not sure skipping moto 2 has necessarily hampered him much long term, although he may have not crashed as much and had less injuries as you say.

Last edited by michaelm; May 23rd, 2018 at 06:19 AM.
michaelm is offline  
May 23rd, 2018, 06:18 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,587
Likes: 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamapony View Post
This guy has one third place and is seventh in the standings, and some of you think he is ready for MotoGP? That's not realistic. Binder is ninth and Mir is seventh. Big deal.

How do we know more of these people don't ride liter bikes? While I think that it is nice that he rides a bigger bike, it is not racing a MotoGP bike. WSBK riders take time to adjust to MotoGP bikes. Look at all the wildcard failures over the years. Moto2 may prepare riders for MotoGP, Moto3 does not. I would want to see how he handles this year before signing him. Of course, his agent wants him signed - NOW. What the heck, it ain't his money, nor his body.

By-the-way, I did a track day with Stefan Bradl at Laguna Seca before his first ride there in MotoGP. He was riding a Fireblade, of course. So was I. He finished his career on a liter bike (Fireblade). I am not sure what good it did him.
I havenít watched much moto 2 this year, but agree with you that his record doesnít shout that he should immediately go to be MMís team-mate.

The thing is that MM, an absolute prodigy from the start and already one of the greatest gp riders ever spent 2 years in moto 2 himself.
michaelm is offline  
May 23rd, 2018, 07:54 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Theo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Chertsey, Surrey, UK

Posts: 1,513
Likes: 288

I Ride: A bicycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamapony View Post
My instincts say that Mir will be a Honda mistake, like Miller, or over rated like Vinales.
Vinales became a mistake because of Rossi, can't have a new kid on the block making the old master look 2nd rate now can we.
evo9 likes this.
Theo is online now  
May 23rd, 2018, 11:16 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
evo9's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
From: USA

Posts: 840
Likes: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Vinales became a mistake because of Rossi, can't have a new kid on the block making the old master look 2nd rate now can we.


Didn't he says Vinales doesn't know the yamaha? As referring he does not know what it should be.
evo9 is offline  
May 23rd, 2018, 11:33 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 1,563
Likes: 594

I think Vinales' problem is that while he can be faster than Rossi he can't be as consistent. Even on the Suzuki his results were up and down. While we can't know for sure if he would've won the championship or not without the tyre and chassis changes I believe it was far from a sure thing(hind sight being 20/20 and all) as it's likely he would've lost bucket loads of points in wet and mixed races as well as races that just didn't suit his preferred version of the m1.
RCV600RR and synn like this.
p4p1 is online now  
May 23rd, 2018, 01:36 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
Theo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Chertsey, Surrey, UK

Posts: 1,513
Likes: 288

I Ride: A bicycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4p1 View Post
I think Vinales' problem is that while he can be faster than Rossi he can't be as consistent. Even on the Suzuki his results were up and down. While we can't know for sure if he would've won the championship or not without the tyre and chassis changes I believe it was far from a sure thing(hind sight being 20/20 and all) as it's likely he would've lost bucket loads of points in wet and mixed races as well as races that just didn't suit his preferred version of the m1.
I think he's better than Rossi now, but the master wants his fellow yamaha riders to get a crock of shit.
IMO Rossi has turned into a vitriolic and slimy shit, who deserves the sack.
evo9 likes this.
Theo is online now  
May 23rd, 2018, 03:50 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2007
From: Australia

Posts: 1,505
Likes: 444

I Ride: R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4p1 View Post
I think Vinales' problem is that while he can be faster than Rossi he can't be as consistent. Even on the Suzuki his results were up and down. While we can't know for sure if he would've won the championship or not without the tyre and chassis changes I believe it was far from a sure thing(hind sight being 20/20 and all) as it's likely he would've lost bucket loads of points in wet and mixed races as well as races that just didn't suit his preferred version of the m1.
Lorenzo was the same (at least post-Assen 2013).

When everything lined up, he was faster than Rossi. However, his off days were lower than Rossi's. More simply put, his highs were higher but his lows were lower.
RCV600RR is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
honda, mir, precontract, signs



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ken Roczen Signs with Honda Hollywood AMA Supercross 4 September 24th, 2016 12:39 PM
Stoner signs new contract skaface MotoGP 40 February 1st, 2013 10:39 PM
Zemke signs with Erion Honda JohnnyKnockdown Motorsports 2 December 13th, 2007 07:15 AM
Repsol Renew Honda Contract vale4607 MotoGP 3 August 2nd, 2007 07:02 PM
Hayden signs new contract with HRC. thirdreich MotoGP 31 October 2nd, 2006 04:27 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.