MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree146Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
May 18th, 2018, 06:15 AM   #161
Senior Member
 
JPSLotus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Madison Square Garden 1973

Posts: 5,329
Likes: 2556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Walter View Post
What's become of your pleas for civility and non trolling? Like your buddy Tinfoil Jesus the forum rules are selectively applicable.
Nice to see you call out BM on calling me a dickhead for no reason.

Selective reading isn't a virtue.
JPSLotus is offline  
 
May 18th, 2018, 06:20 AM   #162
Senior Member
 
Little Walter's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: Stratosphere

Posts: 688
Likes: 283

I Ride: Whatever I can steal
There is always a reason. Don't take it to heart. As Gaz has said, all Australians are dickheads. Machine is bestowing honorary Ozzieness on you. Everybody needs to lighten up. Everybody.
Little Walter is offline  
May 18th, 2018, 06:47 AM   #163
Senior Member
 
Jumkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Your Mom's House

Posts: 24,726
Likes: 3980

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
A fair chance he would have had 6, such was his lead in 1992 that he only lost by 4 points despite missing several races and riding the last two crippled by an injury which had nearly cost him his leg. If the season had been 2 weeks longer he might still have won, he did better in the last race than the 2nd last. 1993 the only fair thing is to assume Rainey would have won anyway, there is no evidence available as to what an uninjured Doohan might have done, not that Rainey didnít deserve the 1992 title as well, he stayed on his bike and beat everyone who turned up on the grid to race him.
Agree. I was surfing through youtube watching old races thanks to this thread. Would you believe we were still using haybales as late as 2007 at some local tracks? There's a fantastic race between Mladin and Spies that I went to about 25 mins from my house, place called Cali speedway. It's a Nascar oval. Great for Nascar horrible for bike racing. It's embarrassing, they had haybales up everywhere (infield course). We actually have a proper road course, but it's about 1.5 hours from Los Angeles, called Willow Springs. But I guess the lack of accommodations and ownership connection was is a bridge too far, though it has hosted national AMA events.

I don't get the haybales thing though. We put a man on the moon (allegedly) in 1969, we can't come up with a better solution than to stack up haybales and tires? I guess it beats armco...




If you live in a glass house don't throw rocks.

Last edited by Jumkie; May 18th, 2018 at 07:04 AM.
Jumkie is offline  
May 18th, 2018, 07:01 AM   #164
Senior Member
 
birdman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Dont Know

Posts: 1,402
Likes: 809

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Yes.

Doohan would have run over his own mother if he had to and on the track was close to the most ruthless that I have seen .......... and yes, that means that if he had to ride you off the track he would.

Doohan was a winner first, second, third and lastly which means no other position is acceptable.
Running over his mum makes it sound like he was a dirty rider. Even ruthless doesnt sound right to me, though we are talking about my teenhood hero. I think a better analogy is he would run over himself if it meant becoming world champion. The doc warned him in 1992 one more simple accident could result in loss of leg he replied he simply couldnt live with himself unless he tried, leg or no leg. I find that kind of heroic. But yeah, he could be a dick, he could of used a post race celebration or two rather than a deadpan: what, you want me to slow down?
birdman is offline  
May 18th, 2018, 07:17 AM   #165
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2016
From: Canada

Posts: 291
Likes: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumkie View Post
Would you believe we were still using haybales as late as 2007 at some local tracks?

I don't get the haybales thing though. We put a man on the moon (allegedly) in 1969, we can't come up with a better solution than to stack up haybales and tires? I guess it beats armco...
Closest track to me (Mosport in Ontario, Canada) still uses haybales in front of armco. Unless they have old tires piled up instead.

Superbikes hit 300K there too.

Great track. There have been GP's there in the past.
MadMax is offline  
May 18th, 2018, 07:22 AM   #166
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2018
From: UK

Posts: 377
Likes: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Running over his mum makes it sound like he was a dirty rider. Even ruthless doesnt sound right to me, though we are talking about my teenhood hero.
It's funny, a friend of mine is now an orthopedic consultant, he's a bike fiend and lives on the Isle Of Mann and now patches up the racers. Anyway, his teenhood hero is Dr Costa who effectively kidnapped Mick and sewed his legs together to heal.
McZee is offline  
May 18th, 2018, 07:33 AM   #167
Senior Member
 
birdman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Dont Know

Posts: 1,402
Likes: 809

Quote:
Originally Posted by McZee View Post
It's funny, a friend of mine is now an orthopedic consultant, he's a bike fiend and lives on the Isle Of Mann and now patches up the racers. Anyway, his teenhood hero is Dr Costa who effectively kidnapped Mick and sewed his legs together to heal.
Yes agree Costa saved Mick, it wasnt just his leg btw the flesh was rotten so he (Costa) risked spreading the infection when the legs were sewn which could have resulted in death, worst case. All this was presented to Mick, he went with it and Costa is a hero of mine for what he did. Apparetly there was some spiritual element or bond between them. In his own words, Mick said he wasn't emotional and didn't waste time crying about it, which as an attitude makes people assume he was ruthless but in reality he was simply willing to do whatever it took. Another thing Mick claims if he coulda been w/c in 1992 after the accident he woulda quit. Somehow I doubt that but it sounds like this was the pact he made with himself under terrible circumstances to get or even force himself through. Light at the end of the tunnel, faint as it was. A really fascinating tale not well documented imo.
birdman is offline  
May 18th, 2018, 07:38 AM   #168
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: Earth

Posts: 1,732
Likes: 699

I Ride: Your mom on most days.
Mick is a fuckin legend and there are no two ways about it, but I have always felt that he would have had to work a bit harder to be a 5 time world champ of Taddy Okada had a V4 instead of Criville.
synn is offline  
May 18th, 2018, 07:47 AM   #169
Senior Member
 
birdman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Dont Know

Posts: 1,402
Likes: 809

Quote:
Originally Posted by synn View Post
Mick is a fuckin legend and there are no two ways about it, but I have always felt that he would have had to work a bit harder to be a 5 time world champ of Taddy Okada had a V4 instead of Criville.
Micks actual technique on a bike was very poor. Mick was a surfer in his youth btw not a bike rider, not like nowdays when they dedicate so young. He figured he didnt have to work at it just rely on talent alone, which got him to 500cc. From there he hit a brick wall. Rossi is far superior technique wise or even according to Burgess in understanding what the bike is doing or what it requires. Mick said just give me the damn thing.
birdman is offline  
May 18th, 2018, 07:55 AM   #170
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,534
Likes: 2084

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Yes agree Costa saved Mick, it wasnt just his leg btw the flesh was rotten so he (Costa) risked spreading the infection when the legs were sewn which could have resulted in death, worst case. All this was presented to Mick, he went with it and Costa is a hero of mine for what he did. Apparetly there was some spiritual element or bond between them. In his own words, Mick said he wasn't emotional and didn't waste time crying about it, which as an attitude makes people assume he was ruthless but in reality he was simply willing to do whatever it took. Another thing Mick claims if he coulda been w/c in 1992 after the accident he woulda quit. Somehow I doubt that but it sounds like this was the pact he made with himself under terrible circumstances to get or even force himself through. Light at the end of the tunnel, faint as it was. A really fascinating tale not well documented imo.
As someone who posted on another forum as Doohanfan, I think whatever it took is the best description of his attitude, he was uncompromising rather than unfair/dirty.
michaelm is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
greatest, ride, rider, time



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Greatest" MotoGP Champion of all time JPSLotus MotoGP 41 July 24th, 2016 10:41 AM
Preziosi: Rossi is the greatest rider of all time rossiofsky MotoGP 272 December 3rd, 2010 11:02 AM
Greatest crew chief of all time #46 MotoGP 4 October 23rd, 2008 12:17 AM
Greatest All-time Choke! Jumkie MotoGP 36 March 14th, 2007 06:14 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.