MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree402Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
May 1st, 2018, 07:20 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 10,382
Likes: 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKnockdown View Post
I know Im in the minority here, but I really dont wish Rossi to die this weekend.

Im looking foward to this race specifically to see what Lorenzo does on one of his favorite tracks. If Dovi beats him or if he finishes out of the top 5, I think we can start talking about another Ducati career killer
No-one wishes that he crashes or is injured.

If he rides the best on the day and wins good luck to him. The bike seems to be working for Vinales this year so I have no problem if Valentino is better than him and/or everybody else, as opposed to last year when I felt he was influential in the tyre change which I believe stymied Viñales after his promising start.
michaelm is offline  
 
May 1st, 2018, 08:11 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 9,291
Likes: 1316

I Ride: DRZ400sm and KTM SXF450sm
Sure it's early on, but baring injury or DNF or being struck by lightning we all know how it will end. I'm more interested to see if Ducati will surprise us, and how Zarco and Rins shape up. And I don't mind saying, I got a big kick out seeing Cal at the top of the podium. It'd be a pisser if he were to be a serious contender this year.
Keshav is offline  
May 1st, 2018, 08:26 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Little Walter's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: Stratosphere

Posts: 642
Likes: 257

I Ride: Whatever I can steal
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
No-one wishes that he crashes or is injured.

If he rides the best on the day and wins good luck to him. The bike seems to be working for Vinales this year so I have no problem if Valentino is better than him and/or everybody else, as opposed to last year when I felt he was influential in the tyre change which I believe stymied Viñales after his promising start.
All politics aside, I am getting into that age range, so cannot help but admire Rossi for doing as well as he does. Just from a human point of view, It would be better if he does retire while he's in good health and relatively free of injury. Like many I don't care for him on a personal level, but the guy does possess a wealth of experience he can pass on to younger racers. You would hate to see any racer end up like Miguel Duhammel who had an indomitable spirit and retired at 40 a physical wreck. The guy was a total hard-on, but still a hero of mine. I heard he came out of retirement to race the Bol d'Or Classic in 2016. What a mad man! I would love to seen him go head to head with Doohan.

Last edited by Little Walter; May 1st, 2018 at 08:40 AM.
Little Walter is offline  
May 1st, 2018, 08:58 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
JPSLotus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Madison Square Garden 1973

Posts: 5,324
Likes: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Walter View Post
All politics aside, I am getting into that age range, so cannot help but admire Rossi for doing as well as he does. Just from a human point of view, It would be better if he does retire while he's in good health and relatively free of injury. Like many I don't care for him on a personal level, but the guy does possess a wealth of experience he can pass on to younger racers. You would hate to see any racer end up like Miguel Duhammel who had an indomitable spirit and retired at 40 a physical wreck. The guy was a total hard-on, but still a hero of mine. I heard he came out of retirement to race the Bol d'Or Classic in 2016. What a mad man! I would love to seen him go head to head with Doohan.
Rossi is on a 1:4 bike. It's not that impressive. Put him on one of the other bikes and you'll see his age in two seconds.
Jumkie likes this.
JPSLotus is offline  
May 1st, 2018, 09:31 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Jumkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Your Mom's House

Posts: 24,725
Likes: 3980

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSLotus View Post
Rossi is on a 1:4 bike. It's not that impressive. Put him on one of the other bikes and you'll see his age in two seconds.
Spot on. Look at Lorenzo, he looks like he is pushing a wheel chair. (Haha, What a great shirt.)
JPSLotus likes this.
Jumkie is offline  
May 1st, 2018, 10:07 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Little Walter's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: Stratosphere

Posts: 642
Likes: 257

I Ride: Whatever I can steal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSLotus View Post
Rossi is on a 1:4 bike. It's not that impressive. Put him on one of the other bikes and you'll see his age in two seconds.
To play devil's advocate, what do you think time-wise, is his advantage over the satellite Yamahas. 100ths of a second, 10ths? I say this because I am remembering those first few years when Lorenzo came to Yamaha, 9 years Rossi's junior, with an even greater age gap between him and Stoner. With all of them on full factory rides, he was competitive. Credit where credit is due. Like him or no, he has racecraft. Sure he has a lot of advantages, but you can't take away all the legit wins he had that eventually bought him all that influence.

Last edited by Little Walter; May 1st, 2018 at 10:10 AM.
Little Walter is offline  
May 1st, 2018, 01:33 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
JPSLotus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Madison Square Garden 1973

Posts: 5,324
Likes: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Walter View Post
To play devil's advocate, what do you think time-wise, is his advantage over the satellite Yamahas. 100ths of a second, 10ths? I say this because I am remembering those first few years when Lorenzo came to Yamaha, 9 years Rossi's junior, with an even greater age gap between him and Stoner. With all of them on full factory rides, he was competitive. Credit where credit is due. Like him or no, he has racecraft. Sure he has a lot of advantages, but you can't take away all the legit wins he had that eventually bought him all that influence.
Hard to say his advantage over the satellite Yamaha bikes since it's likely they've been hamstrung now that the announcement of jumping ship to KTM has happened. I wouldn't expect too much support anymore from the factory. Not that they ever gave a lot, but there's little incentive now.

Rossi was last truly competitive at 30 years old when he won his final title, and I would add it's dubious given he had a year advantage on the Bridgestones and an ill Casey Stoner MIA. Lorenzo hadn't fully come to terms with the tires either.

Since the age of 30 his results in terms of race wins has dwindled with the exception of 2015, and I always chalked that up to MM crashing out of too many races. But we know he choked when it mattered most.
JPSLotus is offline  
May 1st, 2018, 01:48 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
danski's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: A caravan on an island

Posts: 1,780
Likes: 575

I Ride: Shanks pony.
Rossi shot himself in the foot massively when he went to Ducati, if he'd stayed with Yamaha his stats would be much different.
danski is offline  
May 1st, 2018, 01:52 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Jumkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Your Mom's House

Posts: 24,725
Likes: 3980

Quote:
Originally Posted by danski View Post
Rossi shot himself in the foot massively when he went to Ducati, if he'd stayed with Yamaha his stats would be much different.
His stats would be much different if the CEO of the organization didn't act as his sport agent.
JPSLotus likes this.
Jumkie is offline  
May 1st, 2018, 02:15 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Barbedwirebikerr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: FNQ

Posts: 637
Likes: 450

I Ride: DRZ400E
If Lorenzo rides around mid to back of field, Ducati ought to bring out the tricycle pitboard. Aimed at him.
Jumkie, #22, Theo and 3 others like this.
Barbedwirebikerr is online now  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
2017, bull, espana, gran, premio, red



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Round 4: Gran Premio Red Bull de España 2017 JPSLotus MotoGP 288 May 19th, 2017 06:52 AM
Motogp: 2016 Round 4 Gran Premio Red Bull de España Motokitty MotoGP 509 April 30th, 2016 02:53 PM
Gran Premio bwin de España Practice and Qualifying povol MotoGP 38 May 13th, 2014 09:39 PM
Gran Premio Red Bull de la República Argentina povol MotoGP 71 April 30th, 2014 05:33 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.