MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree331Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
April 18th, 2018, 09:19 AM   #101
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2016
From: Canada

Posts: 291
Likes: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I've watched hundreds and only seen a handful come off, but 2 were bad, where the sidecars flipped.
I once saw a race where the passenger flew off and cartwheeled through the grass. The driver kept going and picked him up the next time around, finished the race. Did the whole lap without a passenger!

Then they were disqualified, haha. For driving without the passenger.
Keshav and Theo like this.
MadMax is offline  
 
April 18th, 2018, 01:22 PM   #102
Senior Member
 
Theo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Chertsey, Surrey, UK

Posts: 1,281
Likes: 234

I Ride: A bicycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I once saw a race where the passenger flew off and cartwheeled through the grass. The driver kept going and picked him up the next time around, finished the race. Did the whole lap without a passenger!

Then they were disqualified, haha. For driving without the passenger.
Its a wonder he got round, knowing Dorna I bet they'd let them get away with it
Theo is offline  
April 18th, 2018, 01:26 PM   #103
Senior Member
 
Theo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Chertsey, Surrey, UK

Posts: 1,281
Likes: 234

I Ride: A bicycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
I took a spin on one, a very brief one. It's that weird thing of the closer you are to the ground, the faster you seem to be moving. Very unnerving - till I suppose your brain adjusts to it.

Actually, the latest generation of leathers must have some seriously trick stuff to ward off heat (or so I would imagine) given how often one sees racers go down in the course of practice. I got clipped at the end of the short straight at Mid-Ohio and slid a long way and got some serious burns from the heat generated from sliding.
I never raced with anything but ordinary one piece leathers, mind you they were whole skin not the crap they use now thats thin, no wonder they need airbags in them. I've never got burnt after a long slide after coming off a bike, but I always wore a back and chest protector.
Theo is offline  
April 18th, 2018, 01:36 PM   #104
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 9,291
Likes: 1316

I Ride: DRZ400sm and KTM SXF450sm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I never raced with anything but ordinary one piece leathers, mind you they were whole skin not the crap they use now thats thin, no wonder they need airbags in them. I've never got burnt after a long slide after coming off a bike, but I always wore a back and chest protector.
Yeah. My last pair were good quality custom-made. They were one of the last sets of leathers made by the legendary Patty Peron. The weight of them is ridonculous. I would guess 60% heavier than today's leathers. I still have them.
Attached Thumbnails
Red Bull Grand Prix of the America-fz600-loudon.jpg  

Last edited by Keshav; April 19th, 2018 at 04:55 PM.
Keshav is offline  
April 18th, 2018, 03:36 PM   #105
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: New Zealand

Posts: 674
Likes: 261

I Ride: An R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by synn View Post
Ahahaha. As expected, tough guy on the internet, chickenshit in real life.
At long last synn has come clean...
pyeman is offline  
April 18th, 2018, 05:35 PM   #106
Gaz
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: Dubvegas, or thereabouts

Posts: 5,635
Likes: 2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I once saw a race where the passenger flew off and cartwheeled through the grass. The driver kept going and picked him up the next time around, finished the race. Did the whole lap without a passenger!

Then they were disqualified, haha. For driving without the passenger.
Seen similar at Oran Park.

Passenger fell off through the flip-flop but rider did not notice. The take the left onto the straight (NFI how the rider did this without a passenger and did not notice) and he takes off down the straight only for a fellow competitor to come past and tap the riders shoulder, point at the chair and signal (they ran multiple classes so speed difference was large).

The rider looked, looked again then pulled off to the infield, drove through the grass and picked the passenger back up, then headed to the burn out pan on the inside of the straight to rejoin the race. Was dq'ed for not completing the full course.
Gaz is offline  
April 18th, 2018, 05:42 PM   #107
Gaz
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: Dubvegas, or thereabouts

Posts: 5,635
Likes: 2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I've watched hundreds and only seen a handful come off, but 2 were bad, where the sidecars flipped.
Have seen a number of sidecar accidents over the years when I attended, thankfully no deaths but many trips to hospital and many to buy lottery tickets.

Have personally had to remove sidecars that were piled on riders many times, helped medical crews load riders, helped extricate riders from bikes (conscious and unconscious riders), had to clear room for choppers, clear and clean up blood and so forth.

That all said though, the one that really sticks in my mind was an accident at Oran Park where the outfit got a little out of shape entering Castrol (Turn 9) and flipped, somersaulting a few times before it impacted the wall (the wall at that part of the track was very close). Neither rider or passenger was injured as they (and I kid not) got thrown as the sidecar rolled and both landed sitting upright on the airfence/mats that were placed on the corner exit. Lucky did not start to describe the outcome as the bike was trashed.
Gaz is offline  
April 18th, 2018, 07:12 PM   #108
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: Earth

Posts: 1,533
Likes: 668

I Ride: Your mom on most days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
Yeah. My last pair were good quality custom-made. They were one of the last sets of leathers made by the legendary Patty Peron. The weight of them is redonculous. I would guess 60% heavier than today's leathers. I still have them.
Why the fuck would you wear leathers to do your yoga, curryfart?
Tell me at Misano 2018. Unless youíre chickenshit of course!
synn is offline  
April 18th, 2018, 10:00 PM   #109
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2018
From: UK

Posts: 374
Likes: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Neither rider or passenger was injured as they (and I kid not) got thrown as the sidecar rolled and both landed sitting upright on the airfence/mats that were placed on the corner exit. Lucky did not start to describe the outcome as the bike was trashed.
Yep, those sidecar boys have got some stones. The UK coverage of the TT is fantastic and they show the sidecar racing on there. It's incredible on the roads.

I don't know about you chaps, but my 'lucky' yardstick for crashes was moved last year after Jack Miller stacked in at Le Mans. That was an awful crash. I held my breath until he got up and walked away.
McZee is online now  
April 18th, 2018, 10:22 PM   #110
Senior Member
 
Barbedwirebikerr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: FNQ

Posts: 637
Likes: 450

I Ride: DRZ400E
Quote:
Originally Posted by McZee View Post
Yep, those sidecar boys have got some stones. The UK coverage of the TT is fantastic and they show the sidecar racing on there. It's incredible on the roads.

I don't know about you chaps, but my 'lucky' yardstick for crashes was moved last year after Jack Miller stacked in at Le Mans. That was an awful crash. I held my breath until he got up and walked away.
Yes that Miller crash was very scary to witness. Imagine being the one on the bloody thing. He was extremely lucky.
Barbedwirebikerr is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
america, bull, grand, prix, red



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Round 3: Red Bull Grand Prix of The Americas 2017 JPSLotus MotoGP 624 May 3rd, 2017 05:19 AM
Motogp: 2016 Round 3 Red Bull Grand Prix of The Americas MdubSTYLIE MotoGP 508 April 21st, 2016 11:47 PM
For Sale: Red Bull US Grand Prix 2010 Tickets wade.bodie Classifieds 4 June 18th, 2010 07:32 PM
SOLD OUT! - Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix Saturday and Sunday Tickets Moto GP News Bot MotoGP 0 July 8th, 2005 09:36 AM
MotoGP Heading Back to Laguna Seca For Enticing Red Bull US Grand Prix Moto GP News Bot MotoGP 0 July 8th, 2005 09:36 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.