MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree26Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
March 22nd, 2018, 03:04 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2016
From: Canada

Posts: 212
Likes: 107

He's mentioned twice as much because they think they will make more money if they do that. That's all.

There is no greatest of all time. The most anyone can attain is 'greatest of their time' and then everyone can argue what 'their time' was.

Was he the greatest of his time? Maybe.

I wasn't paying attention untill 2011.

He certainly wasn't the greatest of that time or since.

I don't care who did what before 'my time'. What's with this worship crap? Too harsh?

I'm a fan of who's impressing me now. Marquez impresses me constantly. Rossi, sometimes.

Asparagus? Never. Lorenzo? Not really. Dovi? Starting to.

I bought a Ducati hat at Indy in 2011. Rossi was one of the fastest then. You wouldn't know it from the timesheets but you could tell trackside. Also he tumbled thru the infield the fastest when he wiped out. Haha

I bought the hat because I thought Ducati was cool. It's in the garage somewhere.
Furiosa and Holypuck like this.
MadMax is offline  
 
March 23rd, 2018, 12:20 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Holypuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: Northern Italy

Posts: 137
Likes: 128

I Ride: Honda CRF250 (modified for Dirt Track)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
He's mentioned twice as much because they think they will make more money if they do that. That's all.

There is no greatest of all time. The most anyone can attain is 'greatest of their time' and then everyone can argue what 'their time' was.

Was he the greatest of his time? Maybe.

I wasn't paying attention untill 2011.

He certainly wasn't the greatest of that time or since.

I don't care who did what before 'my time'. What's with this worship crap? Too harsh?

I'm a fan of who's impressing me now. Marquez impresses me constantly. Rossi, sometimes.

Asparagus? Never. Lorenzo? Not really. Dovi? Starting to.

I bought a Ducati hat at Indy in 2011. Rossi was one of the fastest then. You wouldn't know it from the timesheets but you could tell trackside. Also he tumbled thru the infield the fastest when he wiped out. Haha

I bought the hat because I thought Ducati was cool. It's in the garage somewhere.

That is a great post Sir
MadMax likes this.
Holypuck is online now  
March 23rd, 2018, 04:15 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 9,699
Likes: 1699

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
He's mentioned twice as much because they think they will make more money if they do that. That's all.

There is no greatest of all time. The most anyone can attain is 'greatest of their time' and then everyone can argue what 'their time' was.

Was he the greatest of his time? Maybe.

I wasn't paying attention untill 2011.

He certainly wasn't the greatest of that time or since.

I don't care who did what before 'my time'. What's with this worship crap? Too harsh?

I'm a fan of who's impressing me now. Marquez impresses me constantly. Rossi, sometimes.

Asparagus? Never. Lorenzo? Not really. Dovi? Starting to.

I bought a Ducati hat at Indy in 2011. Rossi was one of the fastest then. You wouldn't know it from the timesheets but you could tell trackside. Also he tumbled thru the infield the fastest when he wiped out. Haha

I bought the hat because I thought Ducati was cool. It's in the garage somewhere.
He is one of the greats, and the greatest of his time at his peak, which is all anyone can be as you say.

I think the Ducati adventure, pig though the bike was when he was there (hubris and nemesis perhaps), put paid to him being on a tier above the other greats, particularly Hailwood, who apparently could ride anything.
Theo and MadMax like this.

Last edited by michaelm; March 23rd, 2018 at 03:06 PM.
michaelm is online now  
March 23rd, 2018, 04:39 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 9,699
Likes: 1699

Quote:
Originally Posted by synn View Post
Should have stuck with your original line of argument because this makes even less sense.

So his crime is that he is still competitive, but not as good as he used to be? You would be hard pressed to find any human being in any sport that is capable of that.

There isnít a single one of his contemporaries who would have been remotely as fast as him at his age, given whatever bike. There are people less than half his age who would never be as fast as he is on his worst day, given any bike.

Every sports person has a peak. Rossiís peak is behind him and everyone knows that. But even in the tail end of his career, he is still extremely competitive. That happens with special racers. And such racers have a claim to being an all time great.

If thatís not enough, 9 championships across all classes, 2 stroke and 4 stroke premier titles, being one of the main inspirations for almost every rider who came after him and middle fingering max biaggi at 230kmph, wheels on the grass as he recovers from getting elbowed out will do.

Stacey Moaner would have cried in the showers and wrote a poem or something after that.
You mean when Max was right on the inside edge of the track with a wall of bikes outside him?.
The Burning Barber likes this.
michaelm is online now  
March 24th, 2018, 11:11 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: Earth

Posts: 721
Likes: 181

I Ride: Your mom on most days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
You mean when Max was right on the inside edge of the track with a wall of bikes outside him?.
The fuck where you watching?



Do you see the elbow now?

Max himself admitted years later that he had done some questionable thing a during the peak of that rivalry (As has Rossi). I guess thatís not good enough for you.
synn is offline  
March 25th, 2018, 01:26 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 9,699
Likes: 1699

Has Sete apologised for being in Valentino’s way in the last corner at Jerez 2005?.
michaelm is online now  
March 25th, 2018, 01:27 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: Earth

Posts: 721
Likes: 181

I Ride: Your mom on most days.
Do you get tired of shifting goalposts?
synn is offline  
March 25th, 2018, 01:37 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 9,699
Likes: 1699

Quote:
Originally Posted by synn View Post
Do you get tired of shifting goalposts?
No, I mildly enjoy answering you in kind.

I bought the anti- Biaggi and anti- Gibernau agendas at the time, particularly with Max given his contretemps with Doohan of whom I was a major fan. In retrospect they were early victims of the Rossi cult of personality.
michaelm is online now  
March 25th, 2018, 01:41 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: Earth

Posts: 721
Likes: 181

I Ride: Your mom on most days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
No, I mildly enjoy answering you in kind.

I bought the anti- Biaggi and anti- Gibernau agendas at the time, particularly with Max given his contretemps with Doohan of whom I was a major fan. In retrospect they were early victims of the Rossi cult of personality.
I take it as your way of saying ďI quoted a days old post in my attempt to sound smart without knowing fuckall about what I was saying, got put in my place and is too proud to admit itĒ.
synn is offline  
March 25th, 2018, 02:03 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: Norah Head

Posts: 8,846
Likes: 750

I Ride: Many
Hey wait a minute!!

You cant have two Greatests ...

and clearly Casey Stoner is the greatest ...... so this topic is just plain ridiculous!
Keshav likes this.
BarryMachine is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
greatest, rossi, valentino



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preziosi: Rossi is the greatest rider of all time rossiofsky MotoGP 272 December 3rd, 2010 11:02 AM
Is it now fact? Rossi the greatest GeePee MotoGP 117 September 16th, 2008 07:27 AM
Valentino Rossi Corr MotoGP 21 July 16th, 2007 04:13 AM
Rossi's greatest win!! Tom MotoGP 36 March 16th, 2007 10:18 AM
What happens to VALENTINO ROSSI jhoon MotoGP 23 May 29th, 2006 07:22 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.