MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree105Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
November 18th, 2017, 12:31 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
JohnnyKnockdown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: unda cheese

Posts: 4,603
Likes: 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by synn View Post
You must have read a very different biography than the one I did because that is not what I read.

The only privilege he got was that his dad was a former racer. He wanted to race since he was a kid too, the only thing was he couldn’t choose between bikes and karting. Graziano told him flat out that they didn’t have the money for karting. So bikes it was.

He started on a used bike that had seen much better days. All of this is in the book if you actually read it.
Their demonizing Rossi the child now. Class
They know no bounds.
I also heard he kicked his mum in the stomach when she was pregnant with him.
Someone should check to see if theres a jackal buried in his family plot
synn likes this.

Last edited by JohnnyKnockdown; November 18th, 2017 at 12:34 PM.
JohnnyKnockdown is offline  
 
November 18th, 2017, 01:11 PM   #52
Gaz
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: Dubvegas, or thereabouts

Posts: 5,260
Likes: 1719

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdubSTYLIE View Post
The tears are saltier then the dead sea.
That aint tears

That salty tastse is something else from the yellow 46 fans
MdubSTYLIE likes this.
Gaz is offline  
November 18th, 2017, 01:14 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
MdubSTYLIE's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: Shovel's Club

Posts: 4,562
Likes: 1406

I Ride: your mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
That aint tears

That salty tastse is something else from the yellow 46 fans
haha and that how you win an argument .
MdubSTYLIE is online now  
November 18th, 2017, 01:18 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 9,380
Likes: 1546

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKnockdown View Post
Do you realize that all these obstacles your stating are the same obstacles every other rider on the grid contends with. The only difference being every other rider is experiencing them on a satellite bike that has no chance of winning and a much much smaller paycheck.
And if any of those satellite riders who have never received a decent paycheck somehow got a 1 year opportunity on a vaguely competitive bike and were vilified rather than credited for winning a championship on same I doubt most of them would meet it with much equanimity either.

I agree with your other post btw; I believe there is strong statistical evidence in many sports, the NBA among them, that children of those who were high level participants in a sport have a much greater chance themselves of success in that sport that is simply the way things are, Valentino of course very much earnt his rides and status by his talent and performances.
michaelm is offline  
November 18th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 9,380
Likes: 1546

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCV600RR View Post
I admit that I have no tolerance for anti-Stoner diatribes. I spent most of my early days on here going against the idiotic notion that Stoner was on a Ducati that rode itself against a superior Rossi crippled by a slow Yamaha.
Now MDUb has blocked me perhaps I can comment. I have actually always believed that no matter how well Rossi rode that Yamaha he couldn't have beaten Stoner on the 2007 Ducati on the 2007 Bridgestones, and I doubt Hailwood, Roberts, Rainey, Lawson or anyone else could have either. That bike was invincible if you could ride it. Riding it was the trick though.
Iamapony likes this.
michaelm is offline  
November 18th, 2017, 02:56 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
JohnnyKnockdown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: unda cheese

Posts: 4,603
Likes: 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
And if any of those satellite riders who have never received a decent paycheck somehow got a 1 year opportunity on a vaguely competitive bike and were vilified rather than credited for winning a championship on same I doubt most of them would meet it with much equanimity either.

I agree with your other post btw; I believe there is strong statistical evidence in many sports, the NBA among them, that children of those who were high level participants in a sport have a much greater chance themselves of success in that sport that is simply the way things are, Valentino of course very much earnt his rides and status by his talent and performances.
It seems that you and others state scientifically and psychologically that no other athlete would have been able to withstand the same pressures. What seems lost is most athletes in any sport withstand pressure, negative attitudes towards them and failure almost 100 percent of the time. Thats what athletics is. One winner and scores of losers. Most athletes are always the losers. You seem to think that criticism of ones championship is greater pressure than the 10 riders who are on the bubble to retain a job. . I remember the recent sentiment regarding the WSBK rider who killed himself being very sympathetic to his reasoning. It was understandable why he would end his life after losing his ride and having to flip burgers.
There would be no such empathy if a world champion with every top option available offed himself due to criticism.
Im not debating why he quit but this martyr narrative that everyone else would have done the same is utter speculative bullshit
JohnnyKnockdown is offline  
November 18th, 2017, 03:07 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
JohnnyKnockdown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: unda cheese

Posts: 4,603
Likes: 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Now MDUb has blocked me perhaps I can comment. I have actually always believed that no matter how well Rossi rode that Yamaha he couldn't have beaten Stoner on the 2007 Ducati on the 2007 Bridgestones, and I doubt Hailwood, Roberts, Rainey, Lawson or anyone else could have either. That bike was invincible if you could ride it. Riding it was the trick though.
HA. I Win
Mike finally admits it was invincible.
I think I will display my cheeto finger stained, Internet Warrior trophy, right here next to me on the couch
JohnnyKnockdown is offline  
November 18th, 2017, 03:47 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 9,380
Likes: 1546

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKnockdown View Post
It seems that you and others state scientifically and psychologically that no other athlete would have been able to withstand the same pressures. What seems lost is most athletes in any sport withstand pressure, negative attitudes towards them and failure almost 100 percent of the time. Thats what athletics is. One winner and scores of losers. Most athletes are always the losers. You seem to think that criticism of ones championship is greater pressure than the 10 riders who are on the bubble to retain a job. . I remember the recent sentiment regarding the WSBK rider who killed himself being very sympathetic to his reasoning. It was understandable why he would end his life after losing his ride and having to flip burgers.
There would be no such empathy if a world champion with every top option available offed himself due to criticism.
Im not debating why he quit but this martyr narrative that everyone else would have done the same is utter speculative bullshit
It was often suggested that if he didn't like it he should retire, by pretty much the same people who criticised him for retiring. He is not a martyr, he retired with tens of millions of dollars and has a great life by all accounts, and I think a case can be made that he might have done better just to simply retire and omit some of the self justification, not that he has really gone on with it since having said his piece.

I think you will find most people no matter how high flying and well paid are motivated more by job satisfaction than the money if not from the outset then quite quickly; I am quite closely related to such a person as it happens. I don't think Stoner could expect to be loved by fans who didn't like his personality, but I think he could reasonably expect not to be vilified and detracted from for being the best in the world at his job as he was in 2 different years, and I think you would find most if not all those lowly satellite riders from whose ranks he actually sprang, a rather rare occurrence in itself, would be similarly dismayed in the circumstance. Even MM, who is possibly even tougher and more driven than Rossi himself, doesn't like being booed by the Valeban.

Appropos of nothing perhaps, the definitive statement about pressure in sport was made by a different Australian sportsmen, the all time great cricketer Keith Miller, about 70 years ago. He was a participant in the battle for Europe, and admittedly in regard to a far less dangerous if still not entirely safe sport than GP bike racing said that pressure was having a Messerschmitt up your arse, cricket was not.
SlartyBartFast likes this.
michaelm is offline  
November 18th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #59
Gaz
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: Dubvegas, or thereabouts

Posts: 5,260
Likes: 1719

Pressure is, in itself at the top level of sport or business a very interesting thing and not a thing where one can say categorically that the pressure suffered by one person is equal to that suffered by another, nor can it be said that the way in which people handle similar pressures should be the same as the ability to handle pressure differs from person to person.

I have known some very good international golfers and I have seen these guys absolutely become a shaking mess because the led a tournament, but in public they maintained a cool, calm reasoned persona. I have seen others who are so cool and calm you would swear that you are in a cool room, but then they wilt when the game starts where others are able to concentrate and produce a performance.

I have seen some very good level motorcyle riders/racers who have been under pressure because they cannot get the time that they need or expect and they become ranting raving blame everybody lunatics, but then some become so eerily calm that you wonder if they care.

I have known some NRL (National Rugby League) players, some of whom have represented Australia and again the way they handle the pressure differs from person to person.

Point is, one cannot judge how person A handles pressure based on our expectation as we are not in their shoes, nor do we (generally) know the person.

Ask some top athletes and they will say that the biggest pressures is day to day life, their family or becoming a parent, whilst others will say that the pressure of public demands and expectation are a motivator for them.

They are people not robots and as such, if all acted the same, handled pressure the same and handled life the same, we would be in a boring world yet would still be whinging, whining and demanding that they behave as we want.
Keshav and gekko1ro like this.
Gaz is offline  
November 18th, 2017, 05:19 PM   #60
Gaz
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: Dubvegas, or thereabouts

Posts: 5,260
Likes: 1719

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
It was often suggested that if he didn't like it he should retire, by pretty much the same people who criticised him for retiring. .
Something I have also found of interest since his retirement.

Throughout forumland, people wanted him gone because he was a non-smiling, angry, opinionated, loud mouthed, whining, buck toothed sook.

So he went.

But then throughout much of the same forumland people say 'if only he would come back' with many of those same people failing to understand that he is now doing something he wishes to do and what is worse, is paid well to do it. He has a life, a family and a future all planned out that seems to be what many would consider to be somewhat ideal to be retired so young and yet still be in demand to ride the very machines that provided your opportunity and money whilst at the same time enjoying the benefits of sponsorships that remain ongoing.

For me, the sheer fact (as verified by HRC) that he knocked back 20 milliion US for a single year deal says it all.

Now before the usuals jump in, you will never find me saying that he is or was the best ever for IMO he was not, but he was fucking brilliantly talented and sensational to watch
Gaz is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
motogp, stress



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stoner begins to feel the stress gui22a MotoGP 68 July 23rd, 2007 01:27 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2017 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.