MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree60Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
November 9th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
birdman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Dont Know

Posts: 1,289
Likes: 634

I’d rather Senna quit than die, or Rainey retire than be paralysed. Fuck isn’t the world gruesome enough as is without adding more to the list of RIP? It’s by the grace of God or just plain dumb luck Marquez isn’t already seriously injured or half blind. I hope his luck holds out.
Jumkie, Keshav, #22 and 2 others like this.
birdman is offline  
 
November 9th, 2017, 05:01 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
JPSLotus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Knebworth 1979

Posts: 4,715
Likes: 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
I’d rather Senna quit than die, or Rainey retire than be paralysed. Fuck isn’t the world gruesome enough as is without adding more to the list of RIP? It’s by the grace of God or just plain dumb luck Marquez isn’t already seriously injured or half blind. I hope his luck holds out.
Sure, but they were who they were because they weren't wired that way. Senna's probably become larger in death than he even was in life.

Just remember, he went into the fastest corner in F1 history in 6th gear, at 190MPH in first place, unbeaten by the cheating shit behind him.

Bruce McLaren's quote is what I always felt was most apt anyway about life Bird.

“To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone.”

If your number is up, it's up and nothing is going to change that.
Keshav and birdman like this.

Last edited by JPSLotus; November 9th, 2017 at 05:05 PM.
JPSLotus is offline  
November 9th, 2017, 05:10 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: On the edge in California

Posts: 163
Likes: 69

I Ride: 1972 BMW R75/5
In 1993 I watched Senna drive through Blanchimont, the fastest top gear corner at Spa, absolutely on the limit every lap, racing for 6th position.

He never gave up.

I maintain the reason he died is that he believed God was on his side.
Jumkie likes this.
Bern1 is offline  
November 9th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
birdman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Dont Know

Posts: 1,289
Likes: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSLotus View Post
Sure, but they were who they were because they weren't wired that way. Senna's probably become larger in death than he even was in life.

Just remember, he went into the fastest corner in F1 history in 6th gear, at 190MPH in first place, unbeaten by the cheating shit behind him.

Bruce McLaren's quote is what I always felt was most apt anyway about life Bird.

“To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone.”

If your number is up, it's up and nothing is going to change that.
Apologies mine was a lazy post. Yes I was thinking he died doing what he loved. Btw you posted 85 Adelaide, which was the first full F1 race I watched and I remember I thought the black Lotus looked cool but like millions I was mesmerised by the dude in the yellow lid and was instantly hooked on the sport.

I don’t know exactly but I seam to remember Senna saying the sport was less enjoyable towards the end due to the emergence of driver aids, though I’m guessing he still had the passion.

Rainey on the other hand admitted with the obvious benefit of hindsight that he shouldn’t have been still riding at the time of his accident, simply because he wasn’t enjoying it. To risk death doing something you love is one thing, for Stoner to take that risk doing something he hated would of been just plain dumb.
Keshav and MadMax like this.

Last edited by birdman; November 9th, 2017 at 06:38 PM.
birdman is offline  
November 10th, 2017, 03:55 AM   #25
#22
Senior Member
 
#22's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
From: In Cider

Posts: 3,781
Likes: 1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSLotus View Post
Sure, but they were who they were because they weren't wired that way. Senna's probably become larger in death than he even was in life.

Just remember, he went into the fastest corner in F1 history in 6th gear, at 190MPH in first place, unbeaten by the cheating shit behind him.

If your number is up, it's up and nothing is going to change that.
I love that analogy. Yep he went out leading a race and as you say, leading a cheating shithead behind. I still think Shitmacher/Benetton were partly responsible for Senna's death, because their cheating meant Senna was way overdriving the Williams to beat them. He lapped his team mate in Brazil ffs.

I wholly agree with the sentiment that Senna is larger in Death than in life. As one journalist said on the 20th anniversary, no way were you going to read in a newspaper 5-10-20 years from now "Ayrton Senna, former WC, dies from xxx at his home in Brazil"...Just wasn't going to happen. He lived his life so intensely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern1 View Post
In 1993 I watched Senna drive through Blanchimont, the fastest top gear corner at Spa, absolutely on the limit every lap, racing for 6th position.

He never gave up.

I maintain the reason he died is that he believed God was on his side.
Damon Hill said exactly the same thing. That Senna completely put his faith in God and what was meant to be would be.

I wasn't there live, but have raced at Donington Park many times, and on my many track walks I still cannot comprehend how the fuck he passed Wendlinger around the outside of the craner curves in 1993. It is far far more of a downhill slope than is ever shown on TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
I don’t know exactly but I seam to remember Senna saying the sport was less enjoyable towards the end due to the emergence of driver aids, though I’m guessing he still had the passion.

Rainey on the other hand admitted with the obvious benefit of hindsight that he shouldn’t have been still riding at the time of his accident, simply because he wasn’t enjoying it. To risk death doing something you love is one thing, for Stoner to take that risk doing something he hated would of been just plain dumb.
He certainly didn't enjoy the 1992 and 1994 seasons. The FW14B basically drove itself and negated any advantage he had as a driver, and I think given he was expected to walk the championship in 1994, the pressure of a cheating Schumacher and an uncomfortable car were getting to him. I think his commitment was his downfall though, telling Sid Watkins that he couldn't quit, most likely because he was driven by his inner demons.

To be able to walk away like Stoner, I don't consider a stain on his achievements.

Great discussion btw guys.
JPSLotus likes this.
#22 is offline  
November 10th, 2017, 04:03 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 924
Likes: 458

I've recently read Damon Hills book and you'd be surprised how bad that Williams was at the start of the season, on quite a few motorsports forums you're lead to believe that the Benetton was the inferior car but from what it seems that just wasn't the case.
AntG is offline  
November 10th, 2017, 04:34 AM   #27
#22
Senior Member
 
#22's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
From: In Cider

Posts: 3,781
Likes: 1640

My understanding is the Williams had awful aero issues which were hidden on the 1993 car by all the driver aids they didn't have on the 1994 car. They later diagnosed the cause as the front wing, when they changed that a few races after Senna's death, it transformed the car.

The Benetton was definitely a better car at the start of season, even without the cheats.

Last edited by #22; November 10th, 2017 at 04:36 AM.
#22 is offline  
November 10th, 2017, 05:21 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
MdubSTYLIE's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: Shovel's Club

Posts: 4,562
Likes: 1406

I Ride: your mom
Typical fishermen, they love to talk about the one they didn't catch.
Jumkie and birdman like this.
MdubSTYLIE is online now  
November 10th, 2017, 07:49 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
JohnnyKnockdown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: unda cheese

Posts: 4,603
Likes: 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdubSTYLIE View Post
Typical fishermen, they love to talk about the one they didn't catch.
That's not right. You just interrupted a circle jerk right before the money shot
JohnnyKnockdown is offline  
November 10th, 2017, 10:06 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 9,380
Likes: 1546

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKnockdown View Post
That's not right. You just interrupted a circle jerk right before the money shot
Motorsport guys discussing Motorsport competitors on a Motorsport forum. How irrelevant.

Why don’t they just use the forum for its proper purpose, sneering at fellow posters?.
Gaz, Keshav, Theo and 1 others like this.
michaelm is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
beaten, fight, marquez, stoner, straight



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marc Marquez versus Casey Stoner duc MotoGP 116 February 15th, 2016 12:36 PM
Casey Stoner: Marc Marquez felt threatened by my Honda MotoGP role RCV600RR MotoGP 28 January 6th, 2016 01:14 PM
fight eddie, fight cliché guevara World Superbike 9 September 19th, 2013 12:44 PM
Simoncelli beaten by Aoyama on Day 2 at Sepang Pigeon MotoGP 22 December 28th, 2009 11:06 PM
Is Lorenzo getting mentally beaten? anoR6ikos MotoGP 48 July 28th, 2009 07:22 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2017 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.