MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree32Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
September 23rd, 2017, 02:32 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 926
Likes: 458

I'd like to see an end to the domination by the continentals, but until they start making GP bikes for anyone other than midgets that ain't happening dude.
Theo likes this.
AntG is online now  
 
September 23rd, 2017, 02:59 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
danski's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: A caravan on an island

Posts: 1,539
Likes: 411

I Ride: Shanks pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntG View Post
I'd like to see an end to the domination by the continentals, but until they start making GP bikes for anyone other than midgets that ain't happening dude.
There's little guys in most nations, I live in hope.
In truth the reason for Spanish domination is their weather and the cev championship.
Dr No likes this.
danski is offline  
September 23rd, 2017, 03:49 AM   #13
Blue Smoker
 
Arrabbiata1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Out of Nowhere

Posts: 6,764
Likes: 2442

I Ride: The original
Quote:
Originally Posted by danski View Post
There's little guys in most nations, I live in hope.
In truth the reason for Spanish domination is their weather and the cev championship.
Nothing whatsoever to do with the nationality of the commercial rights holders then.
Jumkie and Theo like this.
Arrabbiata1 is offline  
September 23rd, 2017, 05:25 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 9,381
Likes: 1547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrabbiata1 View Post
Nothing whatsoever to do with the nationality of the commercial rights holders then.
To be fair, I actually don't believe so. Dorna are capitalists, and while I believe their perspective on the sport could do with some broadening, their interests are not served by a total Spanish domination.

It is a bigger sport in Spain than in most countries, they are running home series and development programs relevant to current MotoGP etc etc. While the American and to a lesser extent the Australian home superbike series may have produced some of the greatest GP riders of all time, they are not currently the ideal means of producing GP bike riders, and BSB which seems to be the premier domestic bike racing series in the UK is imo similarly lacking in relevance to current gp bike racing.
Keshav, Dr No, Theo and 1 others like this.

Last edited by michaelm; September 23rd, 2017 at 06:38 AM.
michaelm is offline  
September 23rd, 2017, 07:43 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Theo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Chertsey, Surrey, UK

Posts: 674
Likes: 116

I Ride: A bicycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
To be fair, I actually don't believe so. Dorna are capitalists, and while I believe their perspective on the sport could do with some broadening, their interests are not served by a total Spanish domination.

It is a bigger sport in Spain than in most countries, they are running home series and development programs relevant to current MotoGP etc etc. While the American and to a lesser extent the Australian home superbike series may have produced some of the greatest GP riders of all time, they are not currently the ideal means of producing GP bike riders, and BSB which seems to be the premier domestic bike racing series in the UK is imo similarly lacking in relevance to current gp bike racing.
One reason why we are now seeing motogp feeder classes being developed around the world. I agree it is at present a spanish/italian owned series, that needs to change, might it also be one reason why its slumped in the ratings on attendance in the UK?
Theo is offline  
September 23rd, 2017, 09:02 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
JohnnyKnockdown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: unda cheese

Posts: 4,603
Likes: 817

Cool year. That's the first time Ive seen a trophy molded into the shape of an asterisk
JohnnyKnockdown is offline  
September 23rd, 2017, 10:10 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: Norah Head

Posts: 8,503
Likes: 532

I Ride: Many
Twas a funny year.

The boppers were hating on Hayden for 2006

Then Stoner just came in and dominated rossi

Took them a while to realise it.
BarryMachine is offline  
September 23rd, 2017, 12:23 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
JohnnyKnockdown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: unda cheese

Posts: 4,603
Likes: 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
One reason why we are now seeing motogp feeder classes being developed around the world. I agree it is at present a spanish/italian owned series, that needs to change, might it also be one reason why its slumped in the ratings on attendance in the UK?
As a human, its kind of hard to root for Aliens
JohnnyKnockdown is offline  
September 23rd, 2017, 08:52 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Jumkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Your Mom's House

Posts: 24,192
Likes: 3381

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKnockdown View Post
As a human, its kind of hard to root for Aliens
It's ok, he's a legal alien.

If you live in a glass house don't throw rocks.
Jumkie is offline  
September 23rd, 2017, 11:48 PM   #20
Member
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: NZ

Posts: 65
Likes: 20

And Spain is actually actually a real motorcycling nation...where else would you get 45.000 motorcyclists turn up for a ride to a funeral of a legendary motorcycle racer.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...-united-states
RCV600RR likes this.
almoto is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
ago, today, year



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2017 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.