MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
September 15th, 2017, 03:20 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
libby's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2015
From: Cornwall England

Posts: 358
Likes: 204

I Ride: pillion with hubs on 1200 Bandit :) Do have a full bike licence though
Cycling and Motocross accidents.

What other options are there for training apart from being wrapped up in cotton wool or the gym only?

We all know what happened to poor NH69 while cycling.

Valentino has broken his leg Motorcrossing.

John Mcphee was hit by a car the other day and luckily just hurt his hip while cycling ,

And Jorge Martin has just come out of hospital having been hit by a car cycling??? Bloody car drivers look where your going
libby is offline  
 
September 15th, 2017, 03:24 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 926
Likes: 458

I'd presume the gym is the best place to keep fit and stay relatively safe(you can still get hurt mind you).
AntG is offline  
September 15th, 2017, 04:40 AM   #3
Blue Smoker
 
Arrabbiata1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Out of Nowhere

Posts: 6,764
Likes: 2442

I Ride: The original
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntG View Post
I'd presume the gym is the best place to keep fit and stay relatively safe(you can still get hurt mind you).
Christian Fuchs (LCFC right back) sustained an eye injury yesterday in an obscure training ground incident involving a metal pole. (I did wonder whether he'd been punched in the face by a returning Marcin Wasilewski fired up from listening to too much Pantera).

Anyway, he's out for Saturday's encounter with Huddersfield. I could start a thread detailing bizarre football injuries, but for me nothing will come close to Dave Beasant's encounter with a bottle of Heinz salad cream.

Back to bikes - though not a training incident, I can't remember who it was but not too long ago someone sustained a serious cut from accidentally smashing a glass shower screen. Hopper missed that session in Misano whilst at Kawasaki due to a fall out with his girlfriend and through seeking solace in a nearby bar...think it was Misano. Which also reminds me of Hector Barbera being beaten up by his girlfriend, although he didn't miss the race. Jeremy Burgess had a "bizarre gardening accident" involving a chainsaw once through which he missed some races and Randy Krummenacher had a near life threatening accident at high speed on a mountain bike several years ago.
Arrabbiata1 is offline  
September 15th, 2017, 04:51 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
MdubSTYLIE's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: Shovel's Club

Posts: 4,564
Likes: 1406

I Ride: your mom
Cycling and motocross are the best forms of cross training. Its more than staying in shape, its about keeping your hand eye coordination fast. Its about learning what a bike will do when you apply different lean and practice for what happens when you push the front and all those skills you must stay on top off or to be the best in the game. Its about developing skills to compete with or be the best. Sports with high risk require high risk training there is no way around it. Its something the athletes themselves grew up understanding. Road cycling is a great endurance race training. It is a great way to simulate(physically) a race. One can get the entire workout he needs that way. Again still focusing on the muscles required for riding a bike. I wish they would jut ride on race circuits but roadies are roadies. As someone who has spent his life on pedal bikes, road riding scares the shit out of me. Give me a mountain full of trees and a rock garden any day. I would never put my life in the hands of the people who drive cars and I wish they would do the same. But they won't its something people have excepted the possible outcome of if they do it. These racers have excepted the possible outcome of what can happen from racing motogp, so many of them understand training can be treated the same.

Last edited by MdubSTYLIE; September 15th, 2017 at 04:54 AM.
MdubSTYLIE is offline  
September 15th, 2017, 05:27 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 926
Likes: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrabbiata1 View Post
Christian Fuchs (LCFC right back) sustained an eye injury yesterday in an obscure training ground incident involving a metal pole. (I did wonder whether he'd been punched in the face by a returning Marcin Wasilewski fired up from listening to too much Pantera).

Anyway, he's out for Saturday's encounter with Huddersfield. I could start a thread detailing bizarre football injuries, but for me nothing will come close to Dave Beasant's encounter with a bottle of Heinz salad cream.

Back to bikes - though not a training incident, I can't remember who it was but not too long ago someone sustained a serious cut from accidentally smashing a glass shower screen. Hopper missed that session in Misano whilst at Kawasaki due to a fall out with his girlfriend and through seeking solace in a nearby bar...think it was Misano. Which also reminds me of Hector Barbera being beaten up by his girlfriend, although he didn't miss the race. Jeremy Burgess had a "bizarre gardening accident" involving a chainsaw once through which he missed some races and Randy Krummenacher had a near life threatening accident at high speed on a mountain bike several years ago.
Wasn't that Rossi who fell through the shower screen?

I must admit I do like the Dunlop training regime which generally involves McDonalds and the pub, doesn't seem to slow him down.
AntG is offline  
September 15th, 2017, 05:54 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
libby's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2015
From: Cornwall England

Posts: 358
Likes: 204

I Ride: pillion with hubs on 1200 Bandit :) Do have a full bike licence though
Then there is Cal and his finger nearly cut off cutting cheese the eejit lol
libby is offline  
September 15th, 2017, 10:25 AM   #7
Blue Smoker
 
Arrabbiata1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Out of Nowhere

Posts: 6,764
Likes: 2442

I Ride: The original
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntG View Post
Wasn't that Rossi who fell through the shower screen?
You could be right, I think Uccio was taking the standing L Train when Vale slipped.
AntG likes this.
Arrabbiata1 is offline  
September 15th, 2017, 01:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: Norah Head

Posts: 8,503
Likes: 532

I Ride: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdubSTYLIE View Post
Its more than staying in shape, its about keeping your hand eye coordination fast.
Thats kinda like why I took up dhmtb. Only i call it working on my instinctive coordination.

It does train your reactions. I felt that coming back in the first few rides.

At my age its so easy to look at a steep decline and back away but the more Ive done it the easier it is to tell myself "just go for it and let instinct do it". I still think if I do come a cropper I will shatter at my age, so I dont do big air stuff.

Its good for you in so many ways ....... good sense of achievement for me.
Barbedwirebikerr likes this.
BarryMachine is offline  
September 15th, 2017, 02:25 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
MdubSTYLIE's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: Shovel's Club

Posts: 4,564
Likes: 1406

I Ride: your mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryMachine View Post
Thats kinda like why I took up dhmtb. Only i call it working on my instinctive coordination.

It does train your reactions. I felt that coming back in the first few rides.

At my age its so easy to look at a steep decline and back away but the more Ive done it the easier it is to tell myself "just go for it and let instinct do it". I still think if I do come a cropper I will shatter at my age, so I dont do big air stuff.

Its good for you in so many ways ....... good sense of achievement for me.
Instinct coordination, that sounds much better. Race craft is a skill that can only be practiced while doing it. You can't train at the gym to ride fast. Simulators don't hurt but it doesn't help practice your instinct. I understand from a fan standpoint it sucks to see riders get injured training but thats sport. Thats them progressing. I mean every test lap, practice lap, quali lap is a potential injury. So a rider must train the same way he races. He can't train worrying about injury and then practice & race differently. I mean you can but you shouldn't.
BarryMachine likes this.
MdubSTYLIE is offline  
September 15th, 2017, 03:45 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jumkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Your Mom's House

Posts: 24,192
Likes: 3381

Quote:
Originally Posted by libby View Post
What other options are there for training apart from being wrapped up in cotton wool or the gym only?
Perhaps breaking a sweat at Shovelhead's club?

Not quite wrapped up in wool but perhaps a little latex.
Jumkie is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
accidents, cycling, motocross



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike accidents J708 World Superbike 3 October 24th, 2009 01:14 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2017 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.