MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
September 11th, 2017, 05:48 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Deefer Dogg's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
From: UK

Posts: 134
Likes: 78

Van der Mark at Aragon

MotoGP?

Everyone's favourite Italian getting subbed for Aragon.
Deefer Dogg is offline  
 
September 11th, 2017, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
danski's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: A caravan on an island

Posts: 1,527
Likes: 410

I Ride: Shanks pony.
It's going to be a great way to put himself on teams minds.
danski is online now  
September 11th, 2017, 08:19 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jumkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Your Mom's House

Posts: 24,056
Likes: 3283

This is good news. Look forward on seeing him ride. I don't understand why riders substituting are not given an opportunity to ride the bike at a track day or something. Good luck to van DM. This is a big moment and a great honor. He's earned it.

If you live in a glass house don't throw rocks.
Jumkie is offline  
September 11th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Iamapony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: Santa Cruz, Cal

Posts: 427
Likes: 155

I Ride: BMW, Honda, and another Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamapony View Post
Well, How will he do? Quite a few differences: Chassis, electronics, ohlins, brakes, team, oh, and TIRES. I say mediocre to malfeasance.
I dunno. He has disappointed me in the past, so I am not very hopeful.
Iamapony is offline  
September 11th, 2017, 05:36 PM   #5
Gaz
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: Dubvegas, or thereabouts

Posts: 5,195
Likes: 1664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumkie View Post
This is good news. Look forward on seeing him ride. I don't understand why riders substituting are not given an opportunity to ride the bike at a track day or something. Good luck to van DM. This is a big moment and a great honor. He's earned it.

If you live in a glass house don't throw rocks.
The issue would be organising an opportunity at relatively short notice so that it is relevant to the replacement ride itself and provides sufficient support for the test (ie. bike, techs, tyres, all associated technicians and access to a relevant track)

IMO only here but I reckon that each factory at the start of each seasons should have to nominate 2 riders (this can include their test rider) that may act as 'fill in' riders for the coming season and these riders are allowed to attend each and every GP or track/test day in order to familiarise themselves with the equipment (of course, their availability to do so may be restricted by their own careers but allow it to occur if possible).

These 2 riders then are the only riders allowed to contest GP races as a fill in rider however a test rider is still able to perform all testing as additional to the two nominated riders (in case the # of days testing is restricted to days, not riders)
Gaz is offline  
September 12th, 2017, 08:23 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: anywhere atm moving back home soon,UK

Posts: 562
Likes: 105

I Ride: A bicycle.
He looks a bit of an underachiever in WSBK at the moment. But then they'd not want someone on Rossi's bike who'd make him look ordinary.
Theo is offline  
September 12th, 2017, 11:29 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
MdubSTYLIE's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: Shovel's Club

Posts: 4,481
Likes: 1356

I Ride: your mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamapony View Post
Well, How will he do? Quite a few differences: Chassis, electronics, ohlins, brakes, team, oh, and TIRES. I say mediocre to malfeasance.
Figure this is a better place to reply to this pony. I'm with Theo Yamaha has a track record of putting under achievers on as replacement rider. I am not sure why, besides the obvious not wanting to show up the Crocktor. But then again what are they supposed to do? I don't see them taking on a tech 3 rider as they are contracted to Tech Twa. They have no problem swiping riders if they need one but they are always a set team no need to find talent, talent will come to them.
Theo and Iamapony like this.
MdubSTYLIE is offline  
September 12th, 2017, 01:09 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: anywhere atm moving back home soon,UK

Posts: 562
Likes: 105

I Ride: A bicycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdubSTYLIE View Post
Figure this is a better place to reply to this pony. I'm with Theo Yamaha has a track record of putting under achievers on as replacement rider. I am not sure why, besides the obvious not wanting to show up the Crocktor. But then again what are they supposed to do? I don't see them taking on a tech 3 rider as they are contracted to Tech Twa. They have no problem swiping riders if they need one but they are always a set team no need to find talent, talent will come to them.
I do wonder why they chose Vinales, after all this chap on vastly inferior machinery won last year at Silverstone, and if they were looking for a long term replacement for Rossi then shouldn't that apply to the races when Rossi can't race. After all (This is what I see happening) Rossi won't race next year, his shelf life has expired and he knows it, the only way he could win a 10th title would be by making the rest crash.

I'm going to stick to my earlier prediction that he won't be at the away races, regardless of what he says publicly.
Theo is offline  
September 12th, 2017, 01:51 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Jumkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Your Mom's House

Posts: 24,056
Likes: 3283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
The issue would be organising an opportunity at relatively short notice so that it is relevant to the replacement ride itself and provides sufficient support for the test (ie. bike, techs, tyres, all associated technicians and access to a relevant track)

IMO only here but I reckon that each factory at the start of each seasons should have to nominate 2 riders (this can include their test rider) that may act as 'fill in' riders for the coming season and these riders are allowed to attend each and every GP or track/test day in order to familiarise themselves with the equipment (of course, their availability to do so may be restricted by their own careers but allow it to occur if possible).

These 2 riders then are the only riders allowed to contest GP races as a fill in rider however a test rider is still able to perform all testing as additional to the two nominated riders (in case the # of days testing is restricted to days, not riders)
Horrible idea. I prefer to sub in active riders racing in other series. That's who we dream of seeing. They wouldn't know the rider's form in real time if they nominated them 4 months previous. Nah, Yamaha did good for once. This is a great opportunity to test a rider's mettle. It's a steep curve to throw them in the eye of a hurricane, but what an intriguing moment to put a guy in said situation.

And for the record, I disagree vDM is an underachiever. He performed well on the dinosaur posing as a Ten Kate Honda. He has done a reasonable job along side Alex Lowes at Pata Yamaha. Not to mention he's done his Japanese duty to win Sazuks 8 whores. I'm actually very enthusiastic to see him get this opportunity. He deserves it.

If you live in a glass house don't throw rocks.

Last edited by Jumkie; September 12th, 2017 at 02:00 PM.
Jumkie is offline  
September 12th, 2017, 01:52 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
MdubSTYLIE's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: Shovel's Club

Posts: 4,481
Likes: 1356

I Ride: your mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I do wonder why they chose Vinales, after all this chap on vastly inferior machinery won last year at Silverstone, and if they were looking for a long term replacement for Rossi then shouldn't that apply to the races when Rossi can't race. After all (This is what I see happening) Rossi won't race next year, his shelf life has expired and he knows it, the only way he could win a 10th title would be by making the rest crash.

I'm going to stick to my earlier prediction that he won't be at the away races, regardless of what he says publicly.
I think Vinales was Rossi's choice. Who will replace Rossi will be another story. I hope you are right. It would be nice for Rossi to move on gracefully. Well I guess its already to late for that.
Jumkie and Theo like this.
MdubSTYLIE is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
aragon, der, mark, van



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Van Den Mark to Yamaha for 2017 #22 World Superbike 4 December 15th, 2016 10:42 AM
Round 14: 2016 Gran Premio Movistar de Aragón: MotorLand Aragón JPSLotus MotoGP 374 October 1st, 2016 03:33 AM
Mark 99 Tomahawkmotogp2 New Users 5 April 11th, 2015 06:44 PM
R.I.P. Mark Young M1fan Petrolheads 11 June 11th, 2009 02:48 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2017 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.