MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree63Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
July 26th, 2017, 08:05 AM   #81
Senior Member
 
MdubSTYLIE's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: Shovel's Club

Posts: 4,564
Likes: 1406

I Ride: your mom
Even I took a little break.
MdubSTYLIE is offline  
 
July 26th, 2017, 08:25 AM   #82
Senior Member
 
JohnnyKnockdown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: unda cheese

Posts: 4,603
Likes: 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdubSTYLIE View Post
Even I took a little break.
Seemed more like a hiatus
JohnnyKnockdown is offline  
July 26th, 2017, 08:31 AM   #83
Senior Member
 
MdubSTYLIE's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: Shovel's Club

Posts: 4,564
Likes: 1406

I Ride: your mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKnockdown View Post
Seemed more like a hiatus
I was testing.
MdubSTYLIE is offline  
July 26th, 2017, 03:00 PM   #84
Gaz
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: Dubvegas, or thereabouts

Posts: 5,260
Likes: 1719

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdubSTYLIE View Post
Even I took a little break.
Did you have a Kit Kat?
MdubSTYLIE and Motokitty like this.
Gaz is offline  
July 26th, 2017, 03:44 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
JohnnyKnockdown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: unda cheese

Posts: 4,603
Likes: 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Did you have a Kit Kat?
Or maybe a moto kitty cat?
Gaz, Motokitty and ermananis like this.
JohnnyKnockdown is offline  
July 26th, 2017, 04:37 PM   #86
Senior Member
 
MdubSTYLIE's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
From: Shovel's Club

Posts: 4,564
Likes: 1406

I Ride: your mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Did you have a Kit Kat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKnockdown View Post
Or maybe a moto kitty cat?
She holds my umbrella so my milky white skin stays that way. It also helps my chocolate from melting.
MdubSTYLIE is offline  
July 26th, 2017, 09:43 PM   #87
Senior Member
 
Iamapony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: Santa Cruz, Cal

Posts: 459
Likes: 174

I Ride: BMW, Honda, and another Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
Mate - It's not a flat tracker or a speedway bike. MotoGp bikes are much heavier and they are not run on a course covered with loose soil. Flat trackers don't transition from left to right and they don't reach the kind of speeds that MGP bikes do. The comparison does not hold up. If Stoner says he did not use the brakes, I'll believe it.
Unless Stoner says that he does not wear blue underwear, you are assuming that he does wear blue underwear, because he never says he doesn't. Brilliant. There are times I have seen him use the rear brake to initiate a slide. But, he seems to use the throttle to do it at "Stoner Corner" from the article referenced by BarryMachine. I have ZERO reason to make this shit up. What would I gain? NOTHING. It's just what I remember hearing YEARS ago. And I have little reason to doubt it after watching C.S. slide around at unreal speeds. Marquez does similar crap. Perhaps he doesn't always use the brakes, either.

You make erroneous statements about me, too. I already said I know how to pivot a motorcycle on the front tire to go into a slide. No brakes on flat trackers. And Stoner learned a lot about riding without brakes. He said he came off the gas for nearly half a second. That is a lot of engine braking at over 170mph in fifth gear.

From the motomatters article, with no mention of braking:
Quote:
The key to sliding a bike was confidence, Stoner told us. "It's basically about confidence going into the corner, knowing exactly what you're doing, what the bike's doing and then having the will to either go into the corner harder or get on the gas harder to try and break the rear." That was not without risks, however: "Most of the time when you break the rear it means you're going to highside. So there's a fine point between breaking it and keeping it, and breaking it and ending up flying through the air."

So how do you know when to try to slide the rear and when not to, Stoner was asked. "It's really difficult to explain," Stoner responded. "You know when you can and when you can't and not many riders are able to do it and to do it well, especially to be faster. Anyone can slide a bike, but to slide and be fastest is something more complex, to try to minimize the amount of spin."

One of the reasons explaining how he slid the rear was so difficult is because there was not a single method to achieve it, and each corner required a different approach, Stoner explained. "It's more or less impossible [to give one answer], because every situation is different, every corner you must slide through is different to the others," Stoner said. "The system to make the bike slide is completely different. Sometimes you have to really go in, push the front hard, and close the gas to make the front want to turn, then the rear will come round more easily, as you get the weight off the rear. Then another time, you have to go into the corner and basically slowly break it away, though if you break it away too quickly, it's just going to want to highside," Stoner said. "It's not just like, you go into a corner and you slide, it's very, very different."
Iamapony is offline  
July 27th, 2017, 05:02 AM   #88
Junior Member
 
bigsparrows's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: USA

Posts: 14
Likes: 2

I Ride: Anyone willing
mdub and jkd still havent learned how to behave... might be time for a lesson?

so many things they need to learn...
Keshav likes this.
bigsparrows is offline  
July 27th, 2017, 05:17 AM   #89
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 9,381
Likes: 1547

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsparrows View Post
mdub and jkd still havent learned how to behave... might be time for a lesson?

so many things they need to learn...
The forum is yours/theirs. Make of it what you will.
michaelm is offline  
July 27th, 2017, 05:45 AM   #90
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 8,395
Likes: 1012

I Ride: DRZ400sm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamapony View Post
Unless Stoner says that he does not wear blue underwear, you are assuming that he does wear blue underwear, because he never says he doesn't. Brilliant. There are times I have seen him use the rear brake to initiate a slide. But, he seems to use the throttle to do it at "Stoner Corner" from the article referenced by BarryMachine. I have ZERO reason to make this shit up. What would I gain? NOTHING. It's just what I remember hearing YEARS ago. And I have little reason to doubt it after watching C.S. slide around at unreal speeds. Marquez does similar crap. Perhaps he doesn't always use the brakes, either.

You make erroneous statements about me, too. I already said I know how to pivot a motorcycle on the front tire to go into a slide. No brakes on flat trackers. And Stoner learned a lot about riding without brakes. He said he came off the gas for nearly half a second. That is a lot of engine braking at over 170mph in fifth gear.

From the motomatters article, with no mention of braking:
You've got it ass-backwards. If he doesn't state that he wears them, I won't assume that he does. It's yourself that is jumping to conclusions, not based on anything he has stated to be true.

You have seen him use the rear brake? Really? I've seen Stoner race live, but won't go so far as to say I could actually see what his right foot was doing whilst traveling at 150 mph, while standing at track side - how many yards from the actual track? You must have some really good telescopic eyes! I have had a fair amount of racing experience and a degree of insight and have been watching races since the late 70s and I have really good eyesight (with glasses on) and I'd never claim to be able to discern a tiny movement of the right foot under the circumstances.

I make no claim that you are intentionally trying to mislead anyone. It's that you arrive at conclusions not based on critical thinking.

As to what you remember hearing years ago, memory is a funny thing. Moreover, sometimes we hear things that are apocryphal - and over time, if we repeat misinformation enough we have a way of thinking said info is gospel.

Simply said, your statement that Stoner was using no brake at all, strikes me as misinformed. So I challenged you to back it up. Don't get all emotional about it. It's not a personal attack. I've been guilty of saying things I very much believed and been proved wrong - and it's not that big a deal. I'd always rather know the truth. Nothing shameful about being proved wrong.

When someone challenges something you say on PowerSlide, it's the opening of a debate process. That is the life blood of this forum. When Kropo was posting here on a regular basis, even he was challenged - regularly and he never took it personally, as long as the challenge wasn't accompanied by insults or name calling. It's a big part of what we do here.

Last edited by Keshav; July 27th, 2017 at 06:07 AM.
Keshav is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
forcada, stoner



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stoner Noodlerizer MotoGP 16 February 12th, 2008 12:36 PM
Stoner Fan Doolittle MotoGP 4 January 21st, 2008 02:34 PM
Stoner says povol MotoGP 8 July 17th, 2007 01:12 PM
Stoner Look-a-like jbuhl MotoGP 8 May 7th, 2007 11:33 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2017 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.