MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree63Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
May 20th, 2017, 03:22 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
JPSLotus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Hethel Industrial Estate, Potash Ln, Hethel, Norwich NR14 8EY, United Kingdom

Posts: 4,636
Likes: 2055

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4rn0 View Post
True for Lorenzo, and yes, Dovi is always honest as well. Valentino and Marquez are actually very similar in their ways, whatever you want to associate them with. Actually the young champ (whom I also admire wholeheartedly as a rider) has probably surpassed the old master in more ways than one.
Rossi and Marquez similar in what ways?
JPSLotus is offline  
 
May 20th, 2017, 03:31 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Fremantle, Australia

Posts: 924
Likes: 307

Can we start penciling in M. Marquez on the trophy yet?
p4p1 is offline  
May 20th, 2017, 05:11 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 9,254
Likes: 1462

Quote:
Originally Posted by danski View Post
In this case I do believe the 20 just plain preferred #70, not to disadvantage anyone like in 2012.
So you remember a riders' vote in 2012, as I do and as it would appear David Emmett does?

I was reliably informed by JKant that it didn't happen because he couldn't google it, his implication presumably being that I had invented it.

Last edited by michaelm; May 20th, 2017 at 07:20 AM.
michaelm is offline  
May 20th, 2017, 05:31 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
J4rn0's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
From: Tuscany, Italy

Posts: 3,725
Likes: 586

I Ride: Yamaha and Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSLotus View Post
Rossi and Marquez similar in what ways?
Don't you see? Pleasing the crowds and promoting the myth of themselves as the youngest/fastest riders (each in his own generation). They are very similar in that. That's also why, despite the initial friendship, they were bound to clash. Had Rossi retired in time, say end of 2014, they would have gone down to history as father and son, so to say.
Lorenzo also tried Rossi's crowd-pleasing tricks, but that's not really his cup of tea. He always came across as contrived.
This kind of considerations is not aimed at invalidating in any way the sheer talent of these riders, which is huge and has to be evaluated in its own merit.
J4rn0 is offline  
May 20th, 2017, 06:30 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
danski's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: A caravan on an island

Posts: 1,527
Likes: 410

I Ride: Shanks pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4p1 View Post
Can we start penciling in M. Marquez on the trophy yet?
What, the Cal Crutchlow trophy for most crashes in the weekend?
danski is offline  
May 20th, 2017, 08:40 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: anywhere atm moving back home soon,UK

Posts: 562
Likes: 105

I Ride: A bicycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danski View Post
I totally agree that multiple choice is the way forward in fairness.
Don't agree, they pointed out a few years ago and almost every year since that the bikes are costing too much to produce, so a natural progression of this is that there should be just one control tyre in its various disguises, ie hard, medium and soft. If everyone had the tyre they liked then they would have to turn up with over a thousand tyres and then they have to change it for every circuit throughout the year. Clearly, this is a stupid idea.
Theo is offline  
May 20th, 2017, 08:53 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 8,343
Likes: 974

I Ride: DRZ400sm
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4rn0 View Post
Don't you see? Pleasing the crowds and promoting the myth of themselves as the youngest/fastest riders (each in his own generation). They are very similar in that. That's also why, despite the initial friendship, they were bound to clash. Had Rossi retired in time, say end of 2014, they would have gone down to history as father and son, so to say.
Lorenzo also tried Rossi's crowd-pleasing tricks, but that's not really his cup of tea. He always came across as contrived.
This kind of considerations is not aimed at invalidating in any way the sheer talent of these riders, which is huge and has to be evaluated in its own merit.
Hmmm... I don't see any parallels in terms of how these two play to the press. I've not seen Marquez engage in all the mugging for the cameras, and waiving and winking to his on-board video, or having a new bizarre helmet design at every race. One doesn't really get the sense of Marquez really going out of his way to market himself. He certainly doesn't go in for the silly costumes and stage shows to celebrate each win. He seems quite content to let the race results speak for themselves, which I think has won over many serious fans of the sport. I'm not saying he is without ego; no rider at this level could be.
Keshav is offline  
May 20th, 2017, 09:00 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
danski's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: A caravan on an island

Posts: 1,527
Likes: 410

I Ride: Shanks pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Don't agree, they pointed out a few years ago and almost every year since that the bikes are costing too much to produce, so a natural progression of this is that there should be just one control tyre in its various disguises, ie hard, medium and soft. If everyone had the tyre they liked then they would have to turn up with over a thousand tyres and then they have to change it for every circuit throughout the year. Clearly, this is a stupid idea.
I think the one size fits all idea is well past it's sell by date. The only way that works fairly is in a one make series. In GP the vast difference in bikes even from the same manufacturer can make what works for team X worse than useless for team Y(as seen in Jerez)
If Dorna sort out the Friday free practice so that it's not treated as a pre qualifier with teams chucking tyres on to make sure of making q2, there could be a saving made there so that Michelin could manage to bring more different profiles carcasses etc , end result would be more competitive bikes and more different winners imo.
danski is offline  
May 20th, 2017, 09:13 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: anywhere atm moving back home soon,UK

Posts: 562
Likes: 105

I Ride: A bicycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danski View Post
I think the one size fits all idea is well past it's sell by date. The only way that works fairly is in a one make series. In GP the vast difference in bikes even from the same manufacturer can make what works for team X worse than useless for team Y(as seen in Jerez)
If Dorna sort out the Friday free practice so that it's not treated as a pre qualifier with teams chucking tyres on to make sure of making q2, there could be a saving made there so that Michelin could manage to bring more different profiles carcasses etc , end result would be more competitive bikes and more different winners imo.
Lets look at slightly different then, I presume you ride a motorbike, or maybe more than one, on your bike/s you fit tyres made by a manufacturer that makes you feel confident, chances are they are all from the same manufacturer. Now they don't just make that tyre for you, they make it for lots of other motorbike riders and they ride all manner of bikes. If they started making tyres for different bikes, that work well on one but not on another can you even start to imagine how much that would cost?
I imagine we wouldn't ride bikes it'd be to expensive.
Theo is offline  
May 20th, 2017, 09:25 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
danski's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: A caravan on an island

Posts: 1,527
Likes: 410

I Ride: Shanks pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Lets look at slightly different then, I presume you ride a motorbike, or maybe more than one, on your bike/s you fit tyres made by a manufacturer that makes you feel confident, chances are they are all from the same manufacturer. Now they don't just make that tyre for you, they make it for lots of other motorbike riders and they ride all manner of bikes. If they started making tyres for different bikes, that work well on one but not on another can you even start to imagine how much that would cost?
I imagine we wouldn't ride bikes it'd be to expensive.
I don't have a bike now, haven't since my zx10r ten years ago. However I do remember the standard Bridgestone's were too hard and changing to Michelin pilot powers made it much easier to ride. I've no doubt those Bridgestone's would maybe have suited another brand better.
danski is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
070, chosen, michelin, riders



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Michelin etc. J4rn0 MotoGP 263 October 19th, 2015 10:51 AM
Michelin kieran MotoGP 46 July 22nd, 2008 12:22 PM
Michelin 2008: same teams and more riders? twotems MotoGP 3 September 3rd, 2007 07:42 AM
Michelin 2CT Motorcycle Toy Store MotoGP 6 December 7th, 2006 05:11 AM
Riders of Today VS Riders of Yesterday cmk304 MotoGP 50 November 15th, 2006 10:07 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2017 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.