MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree62Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
May 22nd, 2017, 06:01 AM   #91
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Coventry,UK

Posts: 455
Likes: 96

I Ride: Blackbird, CB500 track bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4rn0 View Post
Now that's how a real 13 years old sportsman speaks!
At least its better than 10.
Theo is offline  
 
May 22nd, 2017, 07:42 AM   #92
Senior Member
 
Jumkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Your Mom's House

Posts: 23,866
Likes: 3122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Not any more he isn't.
Give Marquez a tire made for Honda rather than the M1 as is obviously the case since the season started, and it'd be a completely different story. As I've said, Michelin has presented the RCV the greatest source of challenge! I disagree with those that contend the RCV is severely flawed. Look back at Jerez, suddenly people were suggesting the M1 had some flaws, perhaps some chassis issue because both factory bikes struggled. The race results were analyzed in a suggested combination that Honda had made improvements. That theory fell on its face. Why? Because it was obvious the factory M1s simply suffered under the tire Michelin brought. The culprit was exceedingly conspicuous--the TIRE. Prompting Viņalez to bite his tongue. Even still some figured it was a defective tire, however this happening to only the factory Yamaha duo is astronomically unlikely. The performance of three top factory machines is melded to the tire Michelin manipulates. This is the theme of the return of Michelin, and it's by design.

Don't let what happened at Le Mans fool us. The work of eliminating Marquez started during the preseason, the work of eliminating Viņalez is now in earnest--this will prove a bit more difficult. The current tire at La Mans has already shifted the balance from Viņalez to Rossi. But given the installation of the #70, it's only a (moto)matter of time, fine tuning it. The risk of getting it wrong as they did at Jerez is nullified by the fact the points drop to Viņalez is minimal if the event reoccurs. As it is, the script for the 500th Yamaha winner went off script. Maybe we can just print up some new tshirts, and use yellow font for the 501th, as it's just a Mugello away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Not any more he isn't.

Last edited by Jumkie; May 22nd, 2017 at 08:06 AM.
Jumkie is offline  
May 22nd, 2017, 08:05 AM   #93
Senior Member
 
JPSLotus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Hethel Industrial Estate, Potash Ln, Hethel, Norwich NR14 8EY, United Kingdom

Posts: 4,597
Likes: 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumkie View Post
Give Marquez a tire made for Honda rather than the M1 as is obviously the case since the season started, and it'd be a completely different story. As I've said, Michelin has presented the RCV the greatest source of challenge! I disagree with those that contend the RCV is severely flawed. Look back at Jerez, suddenly people were suggesting the M1 had some flaws, perhaps some chassis issue because both factory bikes struggled. It was and that Honda had made improvements. That theory fell on its face. Why? Because it was obvious the factory M1s simply suffered under the tire Michelin brought. The culprit was exceedingly conspicuous--the TIRE. Prompting Viņalez to bite his tongue. Even still some figured it was a defective tire, however this happening to only the factory Yamaha duo is astronomically unlikely. The performance of three top factory machines is melded to the tire Michelin manipulates. This is the theme of the return of Michelin, and it's by design.

Don't let what happened at Le Mans fool us. The work of eliminating Marquez started during the preseason, the work of eliminating Viņalez is now in earnest--this will prove a bit more difficult. The current tire at La Mans has already shifted the balance from Viņalez to Rossi. But given the installation of the #70, it's only a (moto)matter of time, fine tuning it. The risk of getting it wrong as they did at Jerez is nullified by the fact the points drop to Viņalez is minimal if the event reoccurs. As it is, the script for the 500th Yamaha winner went off script. Maybe we can just print up some new tshirts, and use yellow font for the 501th, as it's just a Mugello away.
The biggest issue with the RC213V is for it to be at it's absolute best for the duration of a race, the bike needs to be running the hard front. Of course that poses a significant problem because of the number of laps it takes to get the tire up to temperature, and then two, the Yamaha can use a softer compound without having to worry as much about it lasting the race distance. Sure if all of the variables come into play, the Honda can run a softer compound successfully, but it seems more often than not that is only possible for Pedrosa due to his weight advantage/disadvantage.

That Rossi who favors hard compounds as much as anyone ever could has been generally running a medium front at I think most of the races this season is telling. I suspect with #70 coming back for Mugello and beyond, you will see him run the hard compound again unless conditions dictate otherwise. Whether that gives him the extra boost or not remains to be seen...but if the carcass change hurts Vinales, I won't be terribly surprised by it.

I do think the RCV is a flawed back on the chassis side of things, and building a bike around braking to gain time isn't the best approach with the Michelin front tire. It was fine for the Bridgestones because Bridgestone made a far better front tire. Michelin doesn't care as much about the front instead preferring to focus on rear grip...as such, the RCV chassis design needs to change. You design to the tire as long as the spec tire remains.
JPSLotus is offline  
May 22nd, 2017, 05:04 PM   #94
Senior Member
 
birdman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Dont Know

Posts: 1,221
Likes: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by danski View Post
Apparently the 'real' reasons for the majority vote are too 'nuanced' for mere mortals like me to understand.
Personally my opinion is that the author of said 'nuanced' comment is too wrapped in ambition to create stories of underhand dealings, choiceless votes(despite 3 riders voting for something else) and general engineering of a 10th title etc, to notice how widely off the mark his accusations are.
According to Marquez when they initially tried the #70 back in Valencia the carcass was at odds with the profile and compound and caused vibration. That was him on the Honda, but obviously it worked for Rossi on the Yamaha. Out of a 'vote' of 24, the result was 23 to 1. For the majority it wasn't even a vote of two usable options, they chose 006 because it was the only option they could use. Clear enough vote eh? Just throw #70 in the scrap heap then.

Now somehow, in the meantime, #70 has been retweeked, modified, redeveloped, and reintroduced. If #70 was still the same tire as it was at Valencia it would have had the same vibration and been rejected a second time. It didn't because it has been further developed. Kropps and other journos completely fail to appreciate this. They say 'its different under the stress of racing". In fact its not. A carcass that's at odds with the compound making it virtually unusable in testing will be just as unusable in racing. Unless either the carcass or compound is changed. Looks like they changed the compound. In fact, again according to Marquez, it is now the 006 tire which appears at odds in terms of the carcass matching the compound, in that the carcass is currently overheating the compound. By coincidence, it just happens this current compound matches perfectly with #70.

So the 'vote' again is really just an option of one. A compound which matches the carcass and doesn't overheat, or a carcass which doesn't match the compound unless you just happen to be that rare racer ala Lorenzo, Vinales or Zarco who are very smooth on the brakes. Of the 3 Lorenzo is the most outspoken and getting all the attention of yourself, Migs and J4, yet its the latter two who have the most to loose. As has already been said, what is the likelihood Michelin will now go off and work on the now rejected 006 ready for another vote in 4 rounds time?
Jumkie, Keshav and Dr No like this.
birdman is offline  
May 22nd, 2017, 05:21 PM   #95
Senior Member
 
birdman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Dont Know

Posts: 1,221
Likes: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigsAngel View Post
I think that they should bring both tyres so riders could have a choice....however, that was not the outcome of the vote by a huge margin....

Perhaps if JLo stopped bitching so much as about other riders or thinking he is above all the others in some way that he might have more sway with them when he needs their support....like on this vote......
Funny how JLo couldnt even influence Dovi, Petrux, Redding, Bautista, Barbera or ABraham to vote his way...but at least he was able to influence Baz to his Ducati cause...
Funny how JLo counldnt influence Dovi, Petrux, Redding, Bautista, Barbera or ABraham to brake smoothly into the corner the way he does? How he couldn't make them adopt his style. Is that what you are saying? Why cant Lorenzo, Vinales, and Zarco use their influence to get other riders to adopt their style? All of a sudden the 'vote' is not so much a matter of popularity or which is the 'better' tyre simply a vote of which tyre suits my style. Or, if you happen to be Rossi, which tyre hurts my competitor the most as he once admitted as motivation for voting. Perhaps if Rossi didn't vote based on his hate of another rival he could've, would've should've won his 10th by now.

No it is clear, the new stiffer tyre #70 means the harder they brake, the more the contact patch will increase and thus the grip level, meaning JLo, Zarco, perhaps critically Vinales will now have to ride a more Rossi like style if they wish to beat him. bet you didn't think of that in your rush to condemn Lorenzo did you?
Jumkie and gekko1ro like this.
birdman is offline  
May 22nd, 2017, 10:13 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Coventry,UK

Posts: 455
Likes: 96

I Ride: Blackbird, CB500 track bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumkie View Post
Give Marquez a tire made for Honda rather than the M1 as is obviously the case since the season started, and it'd be a completely different story. As I've said, Michelin has presented the RCV the greatest source of challenge! I disagree with those that contend the RCV is severely flawed. Look back at Jerez, suddenly people were suggesting the M1 had some flaws, perhaps some chassis issue because both factory bikes struggled. The race results were analyzed in a suggested combination that Honda had made improvements. That theory fell on its face. Why? Because it was obvious the factory M1s simply suffered under the tire Michelin brought. The culprit was exceedingly conspicuous--the TIRE. Prompting Viņalez to bite his tongue. Even still some figured it was a defective tire, however this happening to only the factory Yamaha duo is astronomically unlikely. The performance of three top factory machines is melded to the tire Michelin manipulates. This is the theme of the return of Michelin, and it's by design.

Don't let what happened at Le Mans fool us. The work of eliminating Marquez started during the preseason, the work of eliminating Viņalez is now in earnest--this will prove a bit more difficult. The current tire at La Mans has already shifted the balance from Viņalez to Rossi. But given the installation of the #70, it's only a (moto)matter of time, fine tuning it. The risk of getting it wrong as they did at Jerez is nullified by the fact the points drop to Viņalez is minimal if the event reoccurs. As it is, the script for the 500th Yamaha winner went off script. Maybe we can just print up some new tshirts, and use yellow font for the 501th, as it's just a Mugello away.
I don't think Rossi will win at Mugello, its going to be between Marquez and Vinales.
As an aside maybe some of the other riders fans should get a few "Fixed" banners up to annoy the custard eaters.
Theo is offline  
June 1st, 2017, 12:18 PM   #97
Senior Member
 
Jumkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Your Mom's House

Posts: 23,866
Likes: 3122

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
According to Marquez when they initially tried the #70 back in Valencia the carcass was at odds with the profile and compound and caused vibration. That was him on the Honda, but obviously it worked for Rossi on the Yamaha. Out of a 'vote' of 24, the result was 23 to 1. For the majority it wasn't even a vote of two usable options, they chose 006 because it was the only option they could use. Clear enough vote eh? Just throw #70 in the scrap heap then.

Now somehow, in the meantime, #70 has been retweeked, modified, redeveloped, and reintroduced. If #70 was still the same tire as it was at Valencia it would have had the same vibration and been rejected a second time. It didn't because it has been further developed. Kropps and other journos completely fail to appreciate this. They say 'its different under the stress of racing". In fact its not. A carcass that's at odds with the compound making it virtually unusable in testing will be just as unusable in racing. Unless either the carcass or compound is changed. Looks like they changed the compound. In fact, again according to Marquez, it is now the 006 tire which appears at odds in terms of the carcass matching the compound, in that the carcass is currently overheating the compound. By coincidence, it just happens this current compound matches perfectly with #70.

So the 'vote' again is really just an option of one. A compound which matches the carcass and doesn't overheat, or a carcass which doesn't match the compound unless you just happen to be that rare racer ala Lorenzo, Vinales or Zarco who are very smooth on the brakes. Of the 3 Lorenzo is the most outspoken and getting all the attention of yourself, Migs and J4, yet its the latter two who have the most to loose. As has already been said, what is the likelihood Michelin will now go off and work on the now rejected 006 ready for another vote in 4 rounds time?
Mat Oxley: The discontinued reinstated tire is not a conspiracy folks, it's not a conspiracy folks! The DISCONTINUED (vote of 23 to 1) REINSTATED TIRE has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with Rossi folks! It has nothing to do with Rossi, because hey, the vote (Newspeak)! Move along, nothing to see here.

The lady doth protest too much.

Mat Oxley says the vote (the first vote doesn't count) highlights the great democratic process (vote vote until you get the right result, eh Boss Tweed) and dispells conspiracy theories. I wonder if Oxley simply interviews Uccio and then writes it in English. One thing is certain, Oxley wouldn't survive here on powerslide, but he's great business for the mind of the cult. Any wonder why Kropo is quick to ban people with a divergent opinion--the ministry of truth. (for those of you who don't get the reference, read the book 1984 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minist...istry_of_Truth).

The most significant change to the rigging of the championship, and not one "reporter" asked about it in the pre-event press conference. But Oxley had to take the time to provide everyone with the newspeak narrative.

It tickles me that people take this hack seriously.

https://motomatters.com/blog_entry/2..._that_may.html
Iamapony likes this.
Jumkie is offline  
June 1st, 2017, 01:35 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
Pigeon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
From: Rovrum S,Yorks Eng

Posts: 6,204
Likes: 45

Rossi aint won a title for 07 consecutive years afaik ? something has got to give to help him ffs 007 tyre too obvious 070 it is
Pigeon is offline  
June 1st, 2017, 01:43 PM   #99
Senior Member
 
J4rn0's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
From: Tuscany, Italy

Posts: 3,717
Likes: 560

I Ride: Yamaha and Ducati
Marquez is the rider who has dominated the MotoGP field since 2013 and he's the one who's going to benefit the most from the reintroduction of the 070, -- by his own admission. Rossi could have better chances against Vinales or Pedrosa on the 006 than against Marquez on the 070.

By the way, I think Vinales is not going to be affected by this change much. So Rossi is going to have more problems with the reintroduction of the 070, not less. Add to the mix a possible 070-resurrected Iannone -- the perfect spoiler.

But of course Michelin is going to give Rossi a custom 070 SNS, uh? Designed just for him, overnight!
J4rn0 is offline  
June 1st, 2017, 02:37 PM   #100
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: The Outback

Posts: 260
Likes: 76

Why didn't Marquez vote for it in the pre-season vote if it's such an advantage to him!
Pigeon and Keshav like this.
33 Coupe is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
070, chosen, michelin, riders



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Michelin etc. J4rn0 MotoGP 263 October 19th, 2015 10:51 AM
Michelin kieran MotoGP 46 July 22nd, 2008 12:22 PM
Michelin 2008: same teams and more riders? twotems MotoGP 3 September 3rd, 2007 07:42 AM
Michelin 2CT Motorcycle Toy Store MotoGP 6 December 7th, 2006 05:11 AM
Riders of Today VS Riders of Yesterday cmk304 MotoGP 50 November 15th, 2006 10:07 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2017 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.