MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree114Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
March 30th, 2017, 02:26 AM   #11
Blue Smoker
 
Arrabbiata1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Out of Nowhere

Posts: 6,654
Likes: 2351

I Ride: The original
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Stoner is on record as saying the Ducati had to be ridden as it wanted to be ridden, and also that his natural style was smoother than the one he employed on the Ducati.
Indeed, but the OP incorrectly stated that Stoner did not have a style. BM is entirely correct to point out that it is derived from the dirt.

I think that all the great GP riders coming from a dirt track pedigree from KRsnr to Rainey to Hayden had to temper their styles - particularly in the case of 500cc machinery, but they were still informed by their original code.

Casey was always capable of adapting. I first saw him race in the 125 British National Championship then the same year, (2001)wildcard at Donington in the wet. Obviously always comfortable with the bike moving beneath him, but he was incredibly smooth on a two stroke/sealed surface. As BM said, it was wonderful to watch him light it up on the bigger four strokes.
JPSLotus, p4p1 and aaronl like this.
Arrabbiata1 is offline  
 
March 30th, 2017, 03:12 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2007
From: Brazil

Posts: 657
Likes: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
Lorenzo will be nowhere on Ducati...
Because I have been racing myself and know how it is.
gui22a is offline  
March 30th, 2017, 03:34 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: Scotland

Posts: 101
Likes: 40

I think Lorenzo is in for at least a tough season, but I'm not convinced that there's a 20 or 30 minute window to either get quicker or get off the pot. I'd hope that as the season goes, there will be highs and lows as they (the entire team, including Lorenzo) make changes, adaptions, hopefully improvements...

It's really got to be mid season before we can see for sure?

Wouldn't it be fun if the entire grid had to pull from a hat for grid position AND for the bike! haha Not a sellable corporate proposition but it really would be fun to see.
NJIRK likes this.
Furiosa is offline  
March 30th, 2017, 03:52 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2016
From: Kroposphere

Posts: 371
Likes: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrabbiata1 View Post
Several years in the wilderness i'm afraid, whilst an escape committee orchestrated by Dorna and Yamaha may not be so forthcoming as it was for Valentino.
He could move to Suzuki. Its unlikely that Iannone is going to stop crashing it. Hopefully, they'll still be as competitive in 2019.

Lorenzo could potentially have won the championship on 2017 GSX-RR (and I don't think I could confidently say the same for Stoner, Marquez or Rossi). Pity.
JKant is offline  
March 30th, 2017, 03:55 AM   #15
Blue Smoker
 
Arrabbiata1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Out of Nowhere

Posts: 6,654
Likes: 2351

I Ride: The original
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKant View Post
He could move to Suzuki. Its unlikely that Iannone is going to stop crashing it. Hopefully, they'll still be as competitive in 2019.

Lorenzo could potentially have won the championship on 2017 GSX-RR (and I don't think I could confidently say the same for Stoner, Marquez or Rossi). Pity.
A very interesting thought and I'm inclined to agree with you.
Arrabbiata1 is offline  
March 30th, 2017, 05:09 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2007
From: sydney australia

Posts: 9,137
Likes: 1395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrabbiata1 View Post
Indeed, but the OP incorrectly stated that Stoner did not have a style. BM is entirely correct to point out that it is derived from the dirt.

I think that all the great GP riders coming from a dirt track pedigree from KRsnr to Rainey to Hayden had to temper their styles - particularly in the case of 500cc machinery, but they were still informed by their original code.

Casey was always capable of adapting. I first saw him race in the 125 British National Championship then the same year, (2001)wildcard at Donington in the wet. Obviously always comfortable with the bike moving beneath him, but he was incredibly smooth on a two stroke/sealed surface. As BM said, it was wonderful to watch him light it up on the bigger four strokes.
Sure, but I am inclined to think the poster who may not be a native English speaker primarily meant to praise Stoner for being able to adapt rather than primarily that he had no style, which was what I came to after initially having the same reaction as you and BM.

For once I agree with a post of JKant's, when he says Lorenzo may be uniquely well suited to the current Suzuki, although I suspect it would also have suited how Rossi rode for most of his career. I have always had doubts even as a partisan that Stoner's style would suit the Yamaha.

Last edited by michaelm; March 30th, 2017 at 01:21 PM.
michaelm is offline  
March 30th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
MichaelBolton's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2015
From: Spain

Posts: 21
Likes: 34

MichaelBolton is offline  
March 30th, 2017, 12:24 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 8,293
Likes: 937

I Ride: DRZ400sm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBolton View Post
What is the date of this photo? Last I heard this fairing was shelved.
Keshav is offline  
March 30th, 2017, 12:34 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
danski's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: A caravan on an island

Posts: 1,458
Likes: 381

I Ride: Shanks pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
What is the date of this photo? Last I heard this fairing was shelved.
It's at the Jerez private test, this week.
danski is online now  
March 30th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
birdman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Dont Know

Posts: 1,221
Likes: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Sure, but I am inclined to think the poster who may not be a native English speaker primarily meant to praise Stoner for being able to adapt rather than primarily that he had no style, which was what I came to after initially having the same reaction as you and BM.

For once I agree with a post of JKant's, when he says Lorenzo may be uniquely well suited to the current Suzuki, although I suspect it would also have suited how Rossi rode for most of his career. I have always had doubts even as a partisan that Stoner's style would suit the Yamaha.
I think Rossi employs a style similar to Iannone braking deep to the apex which apparently doesn't suit the Suzuki.

When Iannone says he needs to brake early then let off and 'free wheel' through the corner I immediately think of Lorenzo.

I'm thoroughly confused by Ducati's infatuation with Lorenzo going as we know all the way back to 2009. I don't think they could pick a worse mis-match. Then again it appears Lorenzo was just as much in denial:

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...ployee-884346/
Quote:
Q. How much have your feelings improved on the Ducati from the first ride in Valencia last November?
JL: In Valencia there were many different things that helped me, first of all the winglets. I had just won the last race of the season on the Yamaha. I was in a good shape, the Michelin soft tyres felt good and the layout of the track is not too demanding for braking. Everything went well.
However, I struggled a lot at Sepang, even more on the first day on track; that shocked me. Then I understood I must ride the Ducati in a different way than the M1, something I did not expect. In Australia, two or three weeks later, I started to ride again with the Yamaha style.
Every Ducati rider struggled at Phillip Island. If we did ride again at Sepang instead, we would have been closer. In Qatar everything went much better, as it's a good track for us.
Q. At this point, do you think you still need more time on the Ducati, or do you think most of the job is now on the side of the engineers?
JL:I did not expect to need such a long time to adapt to the Ducati. I though my style of setting off the throttle while braking in a sweet and smooth way would do the job. I thought I was just going to lose some corner speed but I would get it back on the straights.
Everything is actually different in every sense; under braking, in cornering and how you exit the corner, etc… We are actually now changing my position on the bike. I don't feel comfortable with the ergonomics yet.
The buttons on the handlebars, as an example, are quite different and I'm still getting used to them. It's going to be a longer process than expected, but we will improve for sure.
He thought his Yamaha style would work on a Ducati. Which Ducati was he looking at. The fixed in 80 seconds one? And after all the riders that have been on it.

Anyway the way I see it Ducati had one play and one play only. Save the cash they threw at Lorenzo. Wait for Marquez to come off contract. Throw the cash, the kitchen and the sink at Marquez and hope he bites. He is the one rider with the style that just sounds right, with the deep braking, and who knows the way the Ducati hooks up out of the corners he might actually enjoy riding the pig.
Jumkie, JPSLotus and NJIRK like this.
birdman is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
careerkiller, claimed, ducati, victim



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ducati 2011 Becomes AMG Mercedes Ducati Pigeon MotoGP 50 November 18th, 2010 11:36 AM
Boulder Motosports To WSB - USA Effort, Victim Of Economy Keshav World Superbike 1 December 2nd, 2008 06:05 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2017 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.