MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree255Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
February 12th, 2016, 08:47 AM   #91
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: Netherlands

Posts: 2,127
Likes: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Blue View Post
3. Calling the main course an entrée
Don't even get me started on that. Someone needs to start handing out dictionaries.
Kropotkin is offline  
 
February 12th, 2016, 09:05 AM   #92
Senior Member
 
JPSLotus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Madison Square Garden 1973

Posts: 5,347
Likes: 2578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Don't even get me started on that. Someone needs to start handing out dictionaries.
Out of curiosity I went and consulted the Oxford Dictionary.

Oxford Dictionary defines entrée as the main course of a meal in North America.

Quote:
1. chiefly North American The main course of a meal.
Quote:
British: A dish served between the first and main courses at a formal dinner.
Maybe some need to actually consult the dictionary before insisting dictionaries be handed out?

The North American usage may offend Cool Blue and Kropo's sensibilities, but it is quite correct.

And that's the bottom line, cuz Stone Cold said so.
JPSLotus is offline  
February 12th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #93
Senior Member
 
JohnnyKnockdown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: unda cheese

Posts: 4,923
Likes: 1065

All the differences aside I prefer the metric system. Measuring in centimeters rather then inches makes my dick sound bigger.
#22, Kropotkin, Dr No and 2 others like this.
JohnnyKnockdown is offline  
February 12th, 2016, 09:15 AM   #94
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 9,744
Likes: 1530

I Ride: DRZ400sm + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by povol View Post
Petty doesn't come close to describing this shit. Grow the fuck up.
Understatement of the year.
Keshav is offline  
February 12th, 2016, 09:19 AM   #95
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 9,744
Likes: 1530

I Ride: DRZ400sm + KTM SXF450sm + 511SMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Blue View Post
We just say 11th of February 2016, no need for the marble in yer mouth.

But it makes mathematical sense because the significance of each part increases from left to right. And when your scanning dates and sorting them in your mind it's a lot less cognitive load than the switcharoo format you guys use.

The Chinese convention you mentioned is also consistent but from right to left. Like normal numbers. Which, when you think about it, are arse-about-face coz we read from left to right.
Just doing it to fuck with you.
Keshav is offline  
February 12th, 2016, 09:42 AM   #96
Senior Member
 
Jumkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Your Mom's House

Posts: 24,726
Likes: 3982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Issuing proclamations using the month - day form in words is just as IDIOTIC as writing the month before the day when using numerals. It is ILLOGICAL and IRRATIONAL, and the only reason it persists is because of CUSTOM. By that measure, using rodents to forecast weather is also perfectly reasonable.

When using date forms on file names, etc, I will often use the form yyyy-mm-dd. Because it sorts better. Then again, I could also just use ls -alt, or ls -alrt to reverse the sort.
It's actually a very interesting question you pose Kropo. Its one I happen to know a little about. Moreover, one that's been debated. Your notion of what makes sense is neither correct nor based solely on other's idiocy, lack of logic or irrational because you happen to disagree. Hear me out. If your point is "standardization" then simply one can be imposed, regardless of logic. We can, if we chose, impose a standard based on a particular logic, however which is more important than the next?

MDY vs
DMY vs
YMD vs
all number vs
a combination of numbers with letters.

(Letters and numerals are equally symbolic).

Proclamations with a date have evolved all throughout history. The Romans kept time based on the rein of the emporer. If we used that system in the United States today, we would use Obama as part of the date. In fact it was a common notation in history, many ancient cultures employed it.

You ask for "America" to get with the program of standardization while let me point out why you use the year date 2016. Did history start two-thousand and sixteen years ago? Ah ha. While we are 'Monkey'ing around, why do you suppose you don't also include the year of the Monkey in your date? Does today, the Friday, the 12th have as much meaning to the logic you propose; a 7-day week as opposed to a 10-day one, because 10 is certainly a more "standard" number (did you know 10-day weeks were standard in the Chinese culture)? Who also, btw, included the reining dynasty as part of their date pronouncements.

Why don't you use the year 5776? What's your "logic"? Let me guess, because it's not 'generally accepted' throughout the world. Is that logical? If that's the case, 2/12/16 makes as much logical sense in fact more sense because of America's predominance in the world! America is the single most dominant nation on earth currently, and as such given you use the year 2016, a Western Christian notion, perhaps your question should be, when is the rest of the world going to get with the program and use the American system of date nomenclature.
JPSLotus likes this.

Last edited by Jumkie; February 12th, 2016 at 09:52 AM.
Jumkie is offline  
February 12th, 2016, 09:51 AM   #97
Blue Smoker
 
Arrabbiata1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Out of Nowhere

Posts: 6,911
Likes: 2579

I Ride: The original
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKnockdown View Post
All the differences aside I prefer the metric system. Measuring in centimeters rather then inches makes my dick sound bigger.
More likely, because it allows you to employ millimeters.
Cool Blue and JPSLotus like this.
Arrabbiata1 is offline  
February 12th, 2016, 10:01 AM   #98
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2014
From: Melbourne

Posts: 602
Likes: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSLotus View Post
Out of curiosity I went and consulted the Oxford Dictionary.



Oxford Dictionary defines entrée as the main course of a meal in North America.











Maybe some need to actually consult the dictionary before insisting dictionaries be handed out?



The North American usage may offend Cool Blue and Kropo's sensibilities, but it is quite correct.



And that's the bottom line, cuz Stone Cold said so.

It's a French word dickhead.
The Oxford dictionary doesn't take a position, it simply reports the regional (mis)usage.
Before you take a position on it, consult the French dictionary.

Gordon Ramsay needs a kick in the arse for, among other things, indulging that bullshit.
Keshav and Dr No like this.
Cool Blue is offline  
February 12th, 2016, 10:30 AM   #99
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2014
From: Melbourne

Posts: 602
Likes: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
Just doing it to fuck with you.

Likewise

Cool Blue is offline  
February 12th, 2016, 10:36 AM   #100
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2014
From: Melbourne

Posts: 602
Likes: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKnockdown View Post
Coming from the one country who has followed us to every single conflict around the globe. Not even the Brits can claim that.

Aussies are great allies, they just show up and say " hey mate, who we here to kill?"

Mate, you nailed it. That indeed is our exact process.
Penetrating analysis as usual, no other factors to consider.
Keshav likes this.
Cool Blue is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
normal, prefer, rossi, yamaha



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ROSSI: The Yamaha years Jumkie MotoGP 32 November 16th, 2010 02:40 PM
Thank You God for Rossi and Yamaha, ...what would it be without them? xx CURVE xx MotoGP 29 October 15th, 2008 02:35 PM
Americans: Which do you prefer? mylexicon MotoGP 22 June 25th, 2008 03:38 PM
Rossi and Yamaha together again jhoon MotoGP 40 June 20th, 2006 02:00 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2019 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.