MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Like Tree97Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
July 21st, 2015, 03:02 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 9,452
Likes: 1378

I Ride: DRZ400sm and KTM SXF450sm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumkie View Post
Spot the fuck on.

Though if you believe Colin, he did step on his Tose when they were paired up in GP.




Boy band? 'lol'


Ah fuck, somewhere in the catalog of my fuzzy memory bank (as is standard of them at the track) there is a vision (albeit blurred) of me dancing like a crazy Mexican monkey rocking out to Crash--THE BAND covering some 80's song near the manufacturer's vendor tents by turn 5. Toesland was wearing a white shirt, you know, those Italian tailored shirts the nobs you see walking around the F1 paddock before a race wear with 4 buttons unlatched, prancing behind the keyboard, it was glorious. I looked upon him and marveled how can someone who has dedicated so much time perfecting his skills on a motorcycle play the piano so good while looking like the cover model of a Hollister Jeans store poster? As you are well aware, I'm a happy drunk, and everything at the track is simply FABULOUS.
I can testify to that.
Keshav is offline  
 
July 21st, 2015, 03:08 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Jumkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Your Mom's House

Posts: 24,726
Likes: 3980

Arrabi, I remember stumbling to the side of the stage to get a better look at Toseland. And to better listen to the band. Come on man, a GP rider & Wsbk champ singing a Sting song at the track, you don't get much cooler than that. Just sayin.

Watch "James Toseland performs: MotoGP Podium" on YouTube

Last edited by Jumkie; July 21st, 2015 at 03:40 PM.
Jumkie is offline  
July 21st, 2015, 05:30 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Keshav's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: Nu Yawk City

Posts: 9,452
Likes: 1378

I Ride: DRZ400sm and KTM SXF450sm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumkie View Post
Arrabi, I remember stumbling to the side of the stage to get a better look at Toseland. And to better listen to the band. Come on man, a GP rider & Wsbk champ singing a Sting song at the track, you don't get much cooler than that. Just sayin.

Watch "James Toseland performs: MotoGP Podium" on YouTube
Ahhh... but how would you feel if Sting came and got on MotoGP bike and made a lame attempt to ride around the track? Just sayin'.
Arrabbiata1 likes this.
Keshav is offline  
July 22nd, 2015, 12:16 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 1,328
Likes: 638

I never warmed to Toseland even when he was winning in WSBK, I don't dislike him but I find him to be a complete dullard, probably a lovely bloke and from what many others have said he is but I could never bring myself to cheer for him.
AntG is offline  
July 22nd, 2015, 12:27 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 1,328
Likes: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr No View Post
Nice one, ant.
Honda 2 tier strategy.
Road bike "relevancy" combined with top tier "dominance" <not working so well in 2015>
SBK??? doesn't fit very well.
Well the thing is, just how popular is Superbike racing? I know we get massive crowds for BSB and the world championship rounds but I've watched many foreign races on TV and you can see massive grandstands empty whereas when the GP circus is in town those grandstands are full.

It certainly doesn't seem as popular as it was in the 90's from my perspective anyway.
AntG is offline  
July 22nd, 2015, 12:32 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
MigsAngel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: UK

Posts: 2,599
Likes: 271

I Ride: 675...
So from reading the follow up posts....unless Nicky is offered a factory ride on the Kawasaki or Aprilia or the Ducati then you dont believe he can win the title in his maiden year in the WSBK series...and that before any more excuses are added in...such as not being used to Pirellis, 'new' tracks, and having re-learn to ride a Superbike, etc, etc......

At the same time, it seems some of you are saying a Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha ride (lets assume they are factory backed rides) aren't sufficient because someone else hasn't already done all the development to make those bikes into winners... it seems to me that if Nicky is a 'top' rider then development is his responsibility for 'inferior' machinery....
Or is Nicky simply not capable of developing a bike to win the the WSBK title?

Let me ask a different question....if Nicky gets the Ducati, Aprilia or a Kawasaki top flight ride in his maiden year in WSBK will he win the title, yes or no?
MigsAngel is offline  
July 22nd, 2015, 12:35 AM   #37
#22
Senior Member
 
#22's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
From: In Cider

Posts: 3,994
Likes: 1769

I'd take a punt and say the Kawasaki yes, the Aprilia possibly (only because it's similar to a GP bike) and the Ducati unlikely.
MigsAngel likes this.
#22 is offline  
July 22nd, 2015, 04:56 AM   #38
SPECTRE
 
Dr No's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Crab Key

Posts: 2,994
Likes: 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntG View Post
Well the thing is, just how popular is Superbike racing? I know we get massive crowds for BSB and the world championship rounds but I've watched many foreign races on TV and you can see massive grandstands empty whereas when the GP circus is in town those grandstands are full.

It certainly doesn't seem as popular as it was in the 90's from my perspective anyway.
It is difficult to find the figures, but I recall the 90s, where GP Practice weekends would get a larger audience than an SBK rounds....(In Spain...do you reckon that may've coloured Carmelo's business views..ahem)

Superbikes are proddy racing. When the proddies don't sell, why pump money into them?
Dr No is offline  
July 22nd, 2015, 07:18 AM   #39
Blue Smoker
 
Arrabbiata1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: Out of Nowhere

Posts: 6,911
Likes: 2579

I Ride: The original
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr No View Post
It is difficult to find the figures, but I recall the 90s, where GP Practice weekends would get a larger audience than an SBK rounds....(In Spain...do you reckon that may've coloured Carmelo's business views..ahem)

Superbikes are proddy racing. When the proddies don't sell, why pump money into them?
The relative popularity of both series varied geographically. In Spain WSBk was nowhere on the map, although the migration of the more conspicuous Spanish refugees from GP such as Checa, Rolfo and Nieto certainly attracted some attention. Conversely, most Spanish bike racing fans hadn't a clue who Ruben Xaus was when he made the jump to GP.

Thoughout the 90s WSB was massive in the UK, The Netherlands and Germany in particular and to a certain extent France. Here in the UK, it largely owed to the Foggy Factor and comprehensive Sky coverage...in fact for several years WSB Brands was the biggest sporting event in the country when measured by attendance if not renown. The fall of Fogarty, the rise of Rossi and the re-branded MotoGP completely eclipsed the series which by 2003 had seen all its best riders defect to GP and with the desertion of the Japanese factories due to the ridiculous rule book written in favour of the twins had become little more than the Ducati Cup. Although these rules were repealed it took a while to regain momentum and although the racing has been magnificent, it has struggled to recapture the glory years of the mid to late nineties and in the UK Hodgson, Toseland and Sykes evidently lacked the kudos of King Carl.
Dr No likes this.

Last edited by Arrabbiata1; July 22nd, 2015 at 07:21 AM.
Arrabbiata1 is offline  
July 22nd, 2015, 10:46 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: California

Posts: 1,452
Likes: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigsAngel View Post
So from reading the follow up posts....unless Nicky is offered a factory ride on the Kawasaki or Aprilia or the Ducati then you dont believe he can win the title in his maiden year in the WSBK series...and that before any more excuses are added in...such as not being used to Pirellis, 'new' tracks, and having re-learn to ride a Superbike, etc, etc......

At the same time, it seems some of you are saying a Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha ride (lets assume they are factory backed rides) aren't sufficient because someone else hasn't already done all the development to make those bikes into winners... it seems to me that if Nicky is a 'top' rider then development is his responsibility for 'inferior' machinery....
Or is Nicky simply not capable of developing a bike to win the the WSBK title?

Let me ask a different question....if Nicky gets the Ducati, Aprilia or a Kawasaki top flight ride in his maiden year in WSBK will he win the title, yes or no?
If Rossi jumped on Davide's bike next SBK round would he beat Chaz in Race 1? If he took VDM's bike would he podium? Could he beat Jonny on the other Kawi? I doubt it. There is a learning curve, it's well documented. Riders generally struggle going in either direction and we've seen this a number of times. Riding is a physical skill, time would be required to adapt.

Additionally, there are parity issues in SBK just like there is in GP. Some bikes are clearly better than others by a considerable margin.

I've flown the Boeing 737,757 and 767. Never the 777. I'm 100% confident I could get it around the patch without bending it but it wouldn't be graceful. Physical adaptation is what it is. Time is required to adjust.

I don't think Nicky has claim to a top SBK ride at this point but no matter the scenario, I don't think he'd win straight away. I don't think anyone from GP would show up and dominate. I'm on record saying that Nicky is past his prime and should have made this move 3 years ago.
levigarrett is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
hayden, wsbk



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hayden has offers to WSBK povol World Superbike 13 July 20th, 2013 08:19 AM
RL Hayden to WSBK povol World Superbike 44 January 15th, 2010 01:45 PM
Could Stoner or Hayden replace Bayliss as the Ducati WSBK King? #22 MotoGP 26 November 16th, 2008 01:33 PM
Is Hayden's Ego getting the best of him?? Sheri MotoGP 150 February 15th, 2007 05:46 AM
Hayden tinks MotoGP 203 February 4th, 2007 01:04 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.