MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
January 4th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
povol's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
From: Tennessee

Posts: 10,458
Likes: 1631



In the garbage bin, lets turn our focus on who will choose to purchase the complete Honda, or lease the Yamaha engine and build their own chassis. I really cant imagine why anyone would chose the Yamaha package over the Honda.I think i read where Yamaha would offer 4 of their packages, while i didnt see any set number of how many Honda would offer
povol is offline  
 
January 5th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mental Anarchist's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Earth

Posts: 1,631
Likes: 19

A positive for the Yamaha engine in own chassis is that if someone wants to roll the dice and innovate, yes I know that innovate is a dirty word in MotoGP these days, then there is a chance that an advantage could be gained and a win or podium be achieved. The Honda production GP bike on the other hand will always finish a certain distance back from the factory bike by design.
Mental Anarchist is offline  
January 5th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #3
 
Joined: Nov 2012

Posts: 1,217



What wil be funny is when they finish behind the ART... and people laughing over the demise of CRT might have to suck it up and realise that calling them dead after only one season of competition is a bit previous.





I like the CRT concept, I think it should end up being beneficial to the sport, if there was some form of technology cap on the factories. As it is, they don't stand a chance against a $60M HRC budget.
BJ.C is offline  
January 5th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: Netherlands

Posts: 2,127
Likes: 457

Mental Anarchist
Quote:
3399411357380878


A positive for the Yamaha engine in own chassis is that if someone wants to roll the dice and innovate, yes I know that innovate is a dirty word in MotoGP these days, then there is a chance that an advantage could be gained and a win or podium be achieved. The Honda production GP bike on the other hand will always finish a certain distance back from the factory bike by design.




The fear of giving up an 8th place for a 12th place is greater than the will to improve to a podium. The teams' fear of anything different is much greater than their will to win. They are as risk averse as anyone with their money in a low-interest savings account.
Kropotkin is offline  
January 5th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Mental Anarchist's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Earth

Posts: 1,631
Likes: 19

Kropotkin
Quote:
3399511357395877





The fear of giving up an 8th place for a 12th place is greater than the will to improve to a podium. The teams' fear of anything different is much greater than their will to win. They are as risk averse as anyone with their money in a low-interest savings account.

I read your recent article covering such. I agree. But you are only thinking about the existing players. If we are to rely on the existing players only then MotoGP will never grow. There are some massively wealthy people out there. Wealthy people are less likely to conform/comply than the rest of us poor folk who are taught to comply from birth. If MotoGP can entice these people to enter the sport with their spare change then we could see innovation. After all, isn't motorcycling traditionally a form of anarchism?





I am sure that smart engineers don't want to just keep looking to evolve in tiny steps the status quo. There must be engineers who want to re-invent the wheel and are smart enough to do it. If only they could find a bank balance who wants to do the same then MotoGP could get turned on its head. Thats what we want isn't it?
Mental Anarchist is offline  
January 5th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #6
 
Joined: Nov 2012

Posts: 1,217



The problem with that is that the rules as they are now stifle innovation in favour of 'exciting' racing.





Simplifying the rules to a cc limit, bore limit, weight and fuel load would go a long way to enticing some left-field engineering to the show.





As it is, unless you make a 4-cyl poppet-valve 4T engine in either across-the frame or V configuration, you may as well not bother.
BJ.C is offline  
January 5th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mental Anarchist's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Earth

Posts: 1,631
Likes: 19

We are talking about a team buying a Yamaha engine/electronic package so we are not talking about engine innovation. There is nothing, except a control tyre, stopping a team innovating with the chassis.


The fact that teams and manufacturers are so conservative and risk adverse says to me there are big ideas undeveloped that could totally revolutionise motorcycles as we know it. Comparatively the motorcycle industry is still trying to eek out more performance from the Commodore 64. We have not seen the equivalent motorcycle to a modern PC, iMac, laptop or tablet yet.
Mental Anarchist is offline  
January 5th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
digger's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Gold Coast

Posts: 636
Likes: 26

Mental Anarchist
Quote:
3399641357447027

We are talking about a team buying a Yamaha engine/electronic package so we are not talking about engine innovation. There is nothing, except a control tyre, stopping a team innovating with the chassis.


The fact that teams and manufacturers are so conservative and risk adverse says to me there are big ideas undeveloped that could totally revolutionise motorcycles as we know it. Comparatively the motorcycle industry is still trying to eek out more performance from the Commodore 64. We have not seen the equivalent motorcycle to a modern PC, iMac, laptop or tablet yet.

thanks mate, exactly what i was about to say. making a powerful and usable donk is kids shit compared to real chassis, suspension or aero innovation.


i want to see a proper hub center steering machine make it to the grid. the lap time gains to be had from a chassis like that could be huge.
digger is offline  
January 6th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #9
 
Joined: Nov 2012

Posts: 1,217



Or even something like this






BJ.C is offline  
January 6th, 2013, 04:22 AM   #10
Desert Varmint
 
Geonerd's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
From: Southern Aridzona - Hell's doorstep.

Posts: 3,338
Likes: 70



Exotic (anything remotely different that what's currently running) has great potential, but the damnable tires have such specific requirements...





What's need is a feeder or parallel series where chassis mods are welcome and a greater variety of tires are available. Once the chassis is debugged and somewhat understood, only then can you start thinking about running the round rubber bricks. IMO, trying to do both at once would likely lead to an Elias Syndrome, where the tires aren't working, everyone is pointing a finger, and no one has a fricking clue.
Geonerd is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
crt, heading, place, rightful



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are we heading for a series called "MOTO 1" barbedwirebiker MotoGP 13 December 6th, 2011 05:54 AM
Shovelhead is heading to the 2011 British GP shovelhead MotoGP 5 January 13th, 2011 02:12 PM
Anyone heading to Estoril? citadina MotoGP 8 April 11th, 2008 12:19 AM
Heading to Valencia for first time! aqconcepts MotoGP 31 July 1st, 2006 05:13 AM
Red Bull Suzuki is Heading Stateside Moto GP News Bot MotoGP 0 July 8th, 2005 10:36 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.