MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

MotoGP MotoGP Forum - MotoGP Class Motorcycle Racing Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
September 6th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Mr. Shupe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
From: US

Posts: 1,003
Likes: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylexicon View Post
Hellmund is not a savvy PR person. Allegations of racism are serious business and he should never ever ever ever ever ever apologize unless he is resigning. Now he's in a hole, and people will not be so keen to jump into that foxhole with him. He should have played the role of the victim by saying that he is Kunta Kinte and that the press flog him relentlessly b/c he refuses to denounce his F1 project. He should remind everyone that the beatings can stop whenever the sadists in the media are willing to let him be who his is. Then have some prominent black members of the community accuse the TV network of being racially insensitive and exploiting cultural material to accomplish a political/commercial objective.



Crisis over. He is untouchable. F1 track is completed on time without opposition b/c now everyone who opposes him is racist.



Hellmund needs to learn how to swim before he drowns in the deep end.


I think your scenario depends entirely on accomplishing what I have bolded above. And then the public has to go along.



Also, comparing himself to a fictional slave character because his racing project has met opposition is even more insensitive than just cracking a stupid joke. He just needs to apologize and get it across to the public that it was a poorly thought out attempt at humor. No need to drag this out.
Mr. Shupe is offline  
 
September 6th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2007
From: Texas

Posts: 6,833
Likes: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shupe View Post
I think your scenario depends entirely on accomplishing what I have bolded above. And then the public has to go along.



Also, comparing himself to a fictional slave character because his racing project has met opposition is even more insensitive than just cracking a stupid joke. He just needs to apologize and get it across to the public that it was a poorly thought out attempt at humor. No need to drag this out.


He's already compared himself to Kunta Kinte, and by apologizing people he's already declared to the public that it is impossible and racial insensitive for him to glean any message from a work of fictional literature. Now everyone believes that he is just another white guy who is inherently racist.



He can't back down b/c he's already compared himself to Kunta Kinte, and the reason he did it, if you haven't been following, is b/c the Austin press are out for blood. They were out to get Perry, but both he and Susan Coombs have slipped under the radar and out of sight. Tavo Hellmund is the Austin Press' whipping boy, and they flog him in the court of public opinion relentlessly simply for being a businessman who wants to bring F1 to Texas. They would use his favorite ice cream flavor to smear the guy. It's difficult to read. You pick up a paper anywhere in the state of Texas and it's just one brutal dressing down of Tavo Hellmund after another just b/c he wants F1. I have not read a single competent argument against the F1 track even though I can probably think of a half-dozen off the top of my head.



When the Austin press accused Tavo of robbing the state of $25m he scoffed at them when they actually had a right to ask what he was doing and why he needed state money. Now he falls on the sword b/c he assumed he was about to public ass whooping by the people at NBC Austin. It doesn't reveal anything about Tavo Hellmund, it reveals his view of the last 4 months which is the press mistreating him b/c he is who he is. If I'm correct about his motivation, it was a valid comparison, it was not the least bit racist, and he was stupid to have apologized for invoking injustice via a culturally understood symbol.



Seriously. Who tells the press to bugger off when they are asking about private use of public funds? Who apologizes for being a white man who relates to a black character in a well known slave drama? People who complain about his remarks being racist is guilty of setting back race relations by half century. Tavo has a VCR, he watches all kinds of important cultural movies, and he is allowed to identify himself and his struggle with whoever he damn well pleases.



That's the only way out of this mess. He's not going to bring anymore media heat than he's already got.
mylexicon is offline  
September 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Jumkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: Your Mom's House

Posts: 24,726
Likes: 3980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shupe View Post
And the promoter, Tavo Hellmund, does this...







Obviously it's just a bad attempt at humor, but people are going to over-analyze this and make a needless fuss. Very dumb Mr. Hellmund.


Mr. Shupe, is that you reporting?



Why do you say? "Very dumb Mr. Hellmund?" Did he do something wrong? What if he said "the color purple" would this be wrong too since it was a reference to a Black movie? I hate this mindfield White people are forced to walk while a black guy could have said "Cracker" in that sound check and we would have never heard of it. They asked him for a sound check on the fly, it didn't matter what he said, they just wanted sound coming from his mouth, he said whatever. He could have said Calligula, or Michael Jackson, or said Sacramento, or whatever. This is complete bullshit! If anything, that channel shouldn't get anybody interviewing because they sold this dude out and tried to make themselves the story.



Anyway, I saw this video and was waiting for the Saturday Night Live sign to appear as this whole thing sounds like a joke. I swear it looks like John Steward produced that segment. People are now fabricating news out of thin air. So the guy reference a movie and this is now racial because it was a movie about a slave. So if I say "Black" am I being racists now? This man's life is now in the shitter because news channels are out of fucking control. And nobody being interviewed is saying what? This is nothings, get over it. That politician's reactions is hilarious, "Its inappropriate...bla bla bla". Really? What did he say that was so wrong? Nobody is explaining that, not even the channel trying to make it a new item. This guy is now gonna be labelled racist and for absolutely nothing.
Jumkie is offline  
September 6th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Mr. Shupe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
From: US

Posts: 1,003
Likes: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylexicon View Post
He's already compared himself to Kunta Kinte, and by apologizing people he's already declared to the public that it is impossible and racial insensitive for him to glean any message from a work of fictional literature. Now everyone believes that he is just another white guy who is inherently racist.



He can't back down b/c he's already compared himself to Kunta Kinte, and the reason he did it, if you haven't been following, is b/c the Austin press are out for blood. They were out to get Perry, but both he and Susan Coombs have slipped under the radar and out of sight. Tavo Hellmund is the Austin Press' whipping boy, and they flog him in the court of public opinion relentlessly simply for being a businessman who wants to bring F1 to Texas. They would use his favorite ice cream flavor to smear the guy. It's difficult to read. You pick up a paper anywhere in the state of Texas and it's just one brutal dressing down of Tavo Hellmund after another just b/c he wants F1. I have not read a single competent argument against the F1 track even though I can probably think of a half-dozen off the top of my head.



When the Austin press accused Tavo of robbing the state of $25m he scoffed at them when they actually had a right to ask what he was doing and why he needed state money. Now he falls on the sword b/c he assumed he was about to public ass whooping by the people at NBC Austin. It doesn't reveal anything about Tavo Hellmund, it reveals his view of the last 4 months which is the press mistreating him b/c he is who he is. If I'm correct about his motivation, it was a valid comparison, it was not the least bit racist, and he was stupid to have apologized for invoking injustice via a culturally understood symbol.



Seriously. Who tells the press to bugger off when they are asking about private use of public funds? Who apologizes for being a white man who relates to a black character in a well known slave drama? People who complain about his remarks being racist is guilty of setting back race relations by half century. Tavo has a VCR, he watches all kinds of important cultural movies, and he is allowed to identify himself and his struggle with whoever he damn well pleases.



That's the only way out of this mess. He's not going to bring anymore media heat than he's already got.




That puts it in perspective Lex, I am not from the area and was not privy to the media timeline.



Just to clarify, I never considered Hellmund a racist; I chalked it up to being a bad attempt at humor (a misstep, given the sensitivity of black history and issues in the US). He probably should have said, "I am Batman."



Jumkie: No, that is NOT me reporting. I am a grad student in Northeast Tennessee.



Edited to add: I said "very dumb, Mr. Hellmund" because it was a dumb thing to do, not because it was morally wrong. A presumably rich white guy who is already under assault from the media should probably refrain from invoking cherished african american cultural icons. Yes, Kunta Kinte belongs to whites too, but this is a sensitive issue, right or wrong. Not a good idea to put yourself in a position where people could interpret you as making light of a slavery icon, fictional or not...
Mr. Shupe is offline  
September 6th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2007
From: Texas

Posts: 6,833
Likes: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shupe View Post
That puts it in perspective Lex, I am not from the area and was not privy to the media timeline.



Just to clarify, I never considered Hellmund a racist; I chalked it up to being a bad attempt at humor (a misstep, given the sensitivity of black history and issues in the US). He probably should have said, "I am Batman."



Jumkie: No, that is NOT me reporting. I am a grad student in Northeast Tennessee.



Edited to add: I said "very dumb, Mr. Hellmund" because it was a dumb thing to do, not because it was morally wrong. A presumably rich white guy who is already under assault from the media should probably refrain from invoking cherished african american cultural icons. Yes, Kunta Kinte belongs to whites too, but this is a sensitive issue, right or wrong. Not a good idea to put yourself in a position where people could interpret you as making light of a slavery icon, fictional or not...


Well, I reread my post. I'm sorry to maybe take the debate a step too far, it's just that I have experience with this kind of thing (probably not experience that qualifies me to advice Hellmund). One of my clients (no longer) was running for City Council and he asked me to endorse him to represent young voters and entrepreneurs. I was flattered and happy to do it. They gave me a script and said it was just a standard puff piece for the paper. But at the end they went off script and asked me if there was another politician I would relate him to. I said JC Watts, who was a black Congressman from Oklahoma. The comparison was brief, but I said the similarities were even somewhat physically similar. I don't remember me exact words, but I said something about how they both had an athletic build so JC Watts was a good comparison physically as well.



The idiots at the paper took this to mean that I chose a black man to make the comparison of athletic build, I meant that JC Watts was a football player . There wasn't a firestorm, but there were some mean phone calls back and forth between the paper and me and the councilman's office. They asked me to apologize and I told them to go directly to hell. I explained my remark. I told the middle-aged fossils from the age of racial division that they were unfit to interpret any remarks by anyone under the age of 30.



Anyway, the point is not to get into a he said she said, only to say that I know what it's like to be accused if this kind of crap. You attack their weaknesses and you skewer them with the knife they brought to stab you in the back, and then you accept the fact that they played you simply b/c they needed ratings, imo. It's unpleasant business.
mylexicon is offline  
September 6th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Mr. Shupe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
From: US

Posts: 1,003
Likes: 71

Lex,



I agree that these conflicts are often unfair and result from over-analysis/over reaction. I'm sorry you had this problem and hope it hasn't caused you too much personal trouble or resulted in career setbacks.



When I watched the video for the first time, I couldn't help but laugh at the predictable response from the anchor. That same phrase that occurs every time one of these stories comes up.



Wait for it...wait for it..."This creates an opporunity for open dialog between both sides..." FUCK.







Edited: I originally said the above cliché was from a college professor, I was wrong. I corrected it and said it was the reporter.
Mr. Shupe is offline  
September 6th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2007
From: Texas

Posts: 6,833
Likes: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shupe View Post
Lex,



I agree that these conflicts are often unfair and result from over-analysis/over reaction. I'm sorry you had this problem and hope it hasn't caused you too much personal trouble or resulted in career setbacks.



When I watched the video for the first time, I couldn't help but laugh at the predictable response from the anchor. That same phrase that occurs every time one of these stories comes up.



Wait for it...wait for it..."This creates an opporunity for open dialog between both sides..." FUCK.







Edited: I originally said the above cliché was from a college professor, I was wrong. I corrected it and said it was the reporter.


No setbacks, just some warnings from various anti-discrimination groups about defaming based upon race. It was a really stupid thing to go through. All of a sudden people acted like I needed adult supervision in order to function in society. They didn't even understand what I was saying, and their own racial angst is the reason they thought I was insensitive. Still, they tried to make me pay the price.



Kunta Kinte is like FREEEDDOOMMM!! in Braveheart. It's a cliche from a very emotional part in a movie. If you're having a defiant dig at the people who you assume are getting ready to make your life hell, it would be at the forefront your mind. Race has nothing to do with it. He was laughing b/c he had just insinuated that the press were sadists whose thirst for beatings couldn't be quenched. The press tried to paint him as racist in response. Not acceptable.
mylexicon is offline  
April 12th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2009
From: california

Posts: 486
Likes: 5

heh, i guess time to resurrect this thread...just did a google search for the austin track and this popped up.



from the start, up a hill....a catastrophuck at the start lol...i hope pedbot can reach the tarmac as to not roll the bike backwards while waiting for the start



great elevation changes with some nice passing opportunities
Tekniqs is offline  
April 12th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
xx CURVE xx's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
From: Texas

Posts: 11,345
Likes: 296

I Ride: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty58 View Post
talk & plans are cheap...... i'll believe it when i see construction start.... & finished.........& then a race.
xx CURVE xx is offline  
April 12th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #40
cruisin thru the ether
 
Joined: Sep 2005
From: washington DC, USA

Posts: 8,291
Likes: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx CURVE xx View Post
frosty58 is offline  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > MotoGP Forum > MotoGP

Tags
austin, revealed, texas, track



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please show your support for F1 & Moto GP in Austin, Texas... Texas Motorsports 0 June 27th, 2011 10:39 PM
Checking in from Austin, Texas ATX Tornado New Users 0 April 17th, 2011 07:43 PM
F1 to Austin Texas!! xx CURVE xx Motorsports 9 May 28th, 2010 08:47 AM
F1 track in Austin Texas? steeeeeve Motorsports 2 May 26th, 2010 07:12 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.