MotoGP Forum  

Go Back   MotoGP Forum > Motorcycle Racing Forum > Isle of Man

Isle of Man Isle of Man Tourist Trophy Forum


Like Tree13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
June 9th, 2018, 02:49 AM   #91
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2018
From: UK

Posts: 273
Likes: 159

Wow, so Hicky did it, he bust the 135 lap. Absolutely incredible. Big props to Dean too, he pushed Hicky for every inch of tarmac. Race wise it has been an amazing TT.
But thoughts go out to the loved ones of those who paid the ultimate price.

Last edited by McZee; June 9th, 2018 at 09:15 AM.
McZee is offline  
 
June 11th, 2018, 12:04 AM   #92
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 1,221
Likes: 582

Well what a week of racing that was!

Hicky has been knocking on the door for a couple of years now and great to see him take 2 wins in record breaking style.

Harrison had a great TT as well, unlucky to not come out of it with 2 wins himself, it was also good to see Conor Cummins back on form as well.

Michael Dunlop had a mixed bag, managed to win 3 races and get another podium but had both good and bad fortune, he inherited the win in the Superbike and Lightweight races due to the misfortunes of Dean Harrison and Ivan Lintin but was in record breaking form in the first Supersport race and had a bit of bad luck himself getting caught up in backmarkers in the Superstock when there was still no more than a second in it.


Personally I think when it came to the Tyco BMW MD has paid for his lack of racing this year, prior to the TT that superbike had done a 5 lap race around Cookstown and about a dozen laps at the North West 200 and in the Senior it was all over the place and despite the track conditions this year he still never topped his best laps around the Island which he set on Stuart Hickens BMW in 2016, in fact his times in the Senior were down on the Suzuki he was riding last year. His best lap this year was set on his own BMW Superstock bike rather than the factory supported Tyco bike.

I can't see anyone beating the Birchall boys for some time and it just goes to show how different circuit racing is compared to the TT because Tim Reeves is running away with the World Championship this year but wasn't even close to the Birchalls at the TT, a great couple of podium positions for John Holden despite the injuries to his wife Fiona and his father in law Tony Baker.

Good run by Derek McGee in the Lightweight to get his first TT podium as well.

Shame for James Hillier smashing his sump at the bottom of Barregarrow in the Senior after another strong week at the TT which is being rumoured to be his last TT, though nothing has been confirmed yet.

Best wishes to Steve Mercer who is still very ill in hospital.

RIP to Dan Kneen and Adam Lyon.
McZee likes this.
AntG is online now  
June 11th, 2018, 12:53 AM   #93
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2018
From: UK

Posts: 273
Likes: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntG View Post
Well what a week of racing that was!

Hicky has been knocking on the door for a couple of years now and great to see him take 2 wins in record breaking style.

Harrison had a great TT as well, unlucky to not come out of it with 2 wins himself, it was also good to see Conor Cummins back on form as well.

Michael Dunlop had a mixed bag, managed to win 3 races and get another podium but had both good and bad fortune, he inherited the win in the Superbike and Lightweight races due to the misfortunes of Dean Harrison and Ivan Lintin but was in record breaking form in the first Supersport race and had a bit of bad luck himself getting caught up in backmarkers in the Superstock when there was still no more than a second in it.


Personally I think when it came to the Tyco BMW MD has paid for his lack of racing this year, prior to the TT that superbike had done a 5 lap race around Cookstown and about a dozen laps at the North West 200 and in the Senior it was all over the place and despite the track conditions this year he still never topped his best laps around the Island which he set on Stuart Hickens BMW in 2016, in fact his times in the Senior were down on the Suzuki he was riding last year. His best lap this year was set on his own BMW Superstock bike rather than the factory supported Tyco bike.

I can't see anyone beating the Birchall boys for some time and it just goes to show how different circuit racing is compared to the TT because Tim Reeves is running away with the World Championship this year but wasn't even close to the Birchalls at the TT, a great couple of podium positions for John Holden despite the injuries to his wife Fiona and his father in law Tony Baker.

Good run by Derek McGee in the Lightweight to get his first TT podium as well.

Shame for James Hillier smashing his sump at the bottom of Barregarrow in the Senior after another strong week at the TT which is being rumoured to be his last TT, though nothing has been confirmed yet.

Best wishes to Steve Mercer who is still very ill in hospital.

RIP to Dan Kneen and Adam Lyon.
A very nice round up, mate, well put.

The 135.4 was the highlight of the week for me. I suppose if Hicky hadn't have retired in the first SBK race then we might've had a taste of things to come.
Dean's 134.4 standing start was incredible as well, closely followed by the 134 stocker lap by Hicky.
I know it's focusing on the prestige classes, but I suppose these really stick out for me because they smashed the average time barriers.

I really cannot overstate the respect I have for every person that races a bike around the island, regardless of the class.
McZee is offline  
June 11th, 2018, 01:35 AM   #94
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 1,221
Likes: 582

That's probably the best Senior since 1992 as well, it was certainly closer, it was fantastic tension listening to the circuit commentary as Hickman was reeling Harrison in on that last lap. A 226 mile race won by 2.1 seconds, wow!
I'd still love to see how Josh Brookes would do on a BMW though, he got a very solid 5th place on the Norton but was over 3 minutes behind Hickman.
AntG is online now  
June 11th, 2018, 11:58 PM   #95
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2018
From: UK

Posts: 273
Likes: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntG View Post
That's probably the best Senior since 1992 as well, it was certainly closer, it was fantastic tension listening to the circuit commentary as Hickman was reeling Harrison in on that last lap. A 226 mile race won by 2.1 seconds, wow!
I'd still love to see how Josh Brookes would do on a BMW though, he got a very solid 5th place on the Norton but was over 3 minutes behind Hickman.
Yeah, clearly the BM or Kwak are the bikes to be on.
Not only would I like to see Josh on one of those, on flip side, I can't help but wonder if Hutchy, once fit, could make that Honda work. I have negligible faith in that bike.
One thing I love about Josh's riding and it doesn't matter if it's the Mountain at Caldwell, or on the Island, he really and I mean REALLY commits to the jumps. Utterly spectacular.

One quick question for you, Ant, do you know why we don't see better Ducati performance on the Island, especially given Glen Irwin's runs at the North West?
McZee is offline  
June 12th, 2018, 12:19 AM   #96
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 1,221
Likes: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by McZee View Post
Yeah, clearly the BM or Kwak are the bikes to be on.
Not only would I like to see Josh on one of those, on flip side, I can't help but wonder if Hutchy, once fit, could make that Honda work. I have negligible faith in that bike.
One thing I love about Josh's riding and it doesn't matter if it's the Mountain at Caldwell, or on the Island, he really and I mean REALLY commits to the jumps. Utterly spectacular.

One quick question for you, Ant, do you know why we don't see better Ducati performance on the Island, especially given Glen Irwin's runs at the North West?
Nobody who runs at the front of the TT ever really rides a Ducati, the only ones you see are privateers, I don't recall any this year. The last time I recall somebody giving it a really good go was McGuinness riding one of Paul Birds Ducatis in 2003 and got a couple of podiums.

There is a stigma attached to Ducatis and the TT based on how poor the various incarnations fared in the 90's.
AntG is online now  
June 12th, 2018, 12:48 AM   #97
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2018
From: UK

Posts: 273
Likes: 159

Right, I didn't know if there was anything more substantive, perhaps to do with the distances involved in the SBK and Senior.
Like I said, the reason I asked was in relation to the North West, that's 2 years and 2 wins in the SBK race. I know that Glen Irwin is a local lad to the NW so knows the roads, but even so, the bike left a good account of itself, so I thought it would be worth a team running them at the TT (with a decent rider that is).
McZee is offline  
June 12th, 2018, 01:34 AM   #98
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 1,221
Likes: 582

Thing is the only guy who runs competitive Ducatis who is likely to do the TT is Paul Bird and I don't think he's really fussed about the TT anymore, I know he ran Hutchy in 2015 and provided technical support to Michael Dunlop in 2011 but I don't think he's consistently ran a roads team year after year since the days when he ran the Stobart Honda team over 10 years ago. BSB is his bread and butter but I think he only runs Irwin at the North West because he's a local lad and runs him at Macau because the organisers pay the expenses.
AntG is online now  
June 12th, 2018, 07:30 AM   #99
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2018
From: UK

Posts: 273
Likes: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntG View Post

Shame for James Hillier smashing his sump at the bottom of Barregarrow in the Senior after another strong week at the TT which is being rumoured to be his last TT, though nothing has been confirmed yet.
.
There's footage on youtube of this, it's taken by a spectator at Barregarrow. It is crazy, he went in there so so fast and it made a hell of a noise.
McZee is offline  
June 13th, 2018, 05:17 AM   #100
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Southport England

Posts: 1,221
Likes: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by McZee View Post
There's footage on youtube of this, it's taken by a spectator at Barregarrow. It is crazy, he went in there so so fast and it made a hell of a noise.
Yeah I think he said he normally goes too steady on the first lap so really wanted to go for it in this one and went in way too hot and cracked his sump.

I've just watched the Senior highlights and fuck me Michaels bike was a horror show wasn't it? Way, way down on the speeds he was setting a couple of years ago, his overall race time in the Senior was slower than his overall time in the same race in 2013.

I think it was too little too late for MD on the Tyco bike, spent too much of this year fucking about deciding what to ride while the likes of Hickman and Harrison were testing and racing. Hopefully he sticks with the team for some continuity and has a proper pre-season next year. He did 133.9(16mins 53secs) from a standing start 2 years ago, I think he'd easily knock 10 seconds off that on a flying lap with a well sorted bike putting him in the 135 times, his teammate being killed can't have been easy for him either.
AntG is online now  
Reply

  MotoGP Forum > Motorcycle Racing Forum > Isle of Man

Tags
2018, discussion, results, spoilers



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
North West 200 2018 discussion, results and spoilers AntG Motorsports 25 May 20th, 2018 12:46 AM
*SPOILERS* Jerez Rd3 Race Discussion somedamnwriter MotoGP 176 May 5th, 2009 10:32 PM
*SPOILERS*Motogp Jerez FreePractice and Quali discussion *SPOILERS* phleg MotoGP 106 March 31st, 2008 03:25 PM
SBK: Magny Cours Race 1 and 2 Results (SPOILERS) rickyduck Motorsports 28 October 8th, 2007 10:49 PM
Brno test results and discussion phleg MotoGP 15 August 22nd, 2007 09:00 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2018 Powerslide. All rights reserved.
MotoGP Forum is a MotoGP enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent MotoGP or Dorna Sports, S.L. of Madrid, Spain.